Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
ms_9_mike_mcleod.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240821

Last edited by a moderator:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Solid pick for what was actually available to us. Guy is incredibly quick and relentless, which seems to be the organizations model.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
McLeod is not the kind of player I wanted; I wanted us to bring in someone with the potential to be a game-breaking offensive player. Whether that was Keller or Sergachyov - who were my preferences - I didn't care all that much.

But, given the options we ended up with, I'm not going to be discontent with the pick. I didn't like Logan Brown (who knows, maybe I'll regret that later), and getting the 80th as well as McLeod is probably the best of the options we had.

DanteDevilsHockey

Jun 21, 2016
North Jersey
Happy with the pick. Would've loved to take 6'6'' Logan Brown at #11. Looking at it now McLeod's stats aren't too far off from Brown. McLeod is playing with a great team in Mississauga that will prepare him for the show. He is an exceptionally talented player below the face-off dots. He can win battles in the corners and distribute the puck into tight spots as well as putting the puck in the back of the net. I know many thought, including myself, that the Devils would select Keller or Jost (picked ahead of us) or even Logan Brown who fell into our hands somehow. Shero knows what he's doing as many questioned him after picking Zacha last year, and he will face just as many if not more for picking Michael McLeod this year. Give it to Shero for moving down only one pick and acquiring many potential assets to trade for later like he did with Kyle Palmieri last year. Seems like Shero and the scoutings system for the Devils know what they are doing in picking McLeod. He may some day play along side with Zacha if Zacha switches to winger which has been rumored.

Group Chat Legend*

Happy with the pick. Would've loved to take 6'6'' Logan Brown at #11. Looking at it now McLeod's stats aren't too far off from Brown. McLeod is playing with a great team in Mississauga that will prepare him for the show. He is an exceptionally talented player below the face-off dots. He can win battles in the corners and distribute the puck into tight spots as well as putting the puck in the back of the net. I know many thought, including myself, that the Devils would select Keller or Jost (picked ahead of us) or even Logan Brown who fell into our hands somehow. Shero knows what he's doing as many questioned him after picking Zacha last year, and he will face just as many if not more for picking Michael McLeod this year. Give it to Shero for moving down only one pick and acquiring many potential assets to trade for later like he did with Kyle Palmieri last year. Seems like Shero and the scoutings system for the Devils know what they are doing in picking McLeod. He may some day play along side with Zacha if Zacha switches to winger which has been rumored.

Logan Brown does not fit our coaching style and system, I am very glad with Mcleod over Brown. And we got another 3rd for it, hopefully move that for Yakupov.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Don't know much about him, but I like the fact that he is fast and I will just trust the scouting staff here. I hope that he does well and overcomes fans' doubts.

Group Chat Legend*

Don't know much about him, but I like the fact that he is fast and I will just trust the scouting staff here. I hope that he does well and overcomes fans' doubts.

I think he can become the steal of the top 12-15, like another poster noted.

Kid has size, speed, work ethic, a lot of things that cannot be taught. He has hands and a decent shot, dont see why he cant put up points. NOT TO MENTION, we have PLENTY of shooters and needed a good playmaker, and he is obviously that with the defensive game as well.

Replacing Zajac, and Zacha moving to wing, this pick is very smart.

Group Chat Legend*

Kid has size, speed, work ethic, a lot of things that cannot be taught. He has hands and a decent shot, dont see why he cant put up points. NOT TO MENTION, we have PLENTY of shooters and needed a good playmaker, and he is obviously that with the defensive game as well.

Also would like to add that he is great in the faceoff dot, something we greatly lack.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If McLeod can add some muscle and get bigger then that is a scary fast big and good center if he puts it all together. Let's see what happens.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
He's already one of our top prospects! Welcome to NJ Michael!!

Given how the top 10 went against what some had hoped I'm just gonna put my faith in Shero and Castron and support the kid!

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Thanks for the insight. I'll definitely be reading up on him and watching scouting videos of him. I'd love to see him contributing to the Devils in a couple of years.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
FWIW - Some tweets over the past few days from Grant McCagg of McKeen's hockey. Just started following him on Twitter after a reco from another NHL guy I follow, but he has been very high on McLeod...

Regarding the Devils pick...

When asked about Brown, Jost or Keller...

"You're higher on McLeod than anyone else, what do you see him producing offensively?"

Regarding how he'd rank the centers in the draft...

Just one guys opinion, but certainly gives me some confidence in this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad