New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Fenton is a guy who has a great reputation...

A shame he won't ever be considered because the team doesn't want to shell out for some french language training at Jonquière lol

Brisebois doesn't move me, just seems like a candidate by default.

Hes french, so he's destined to be GM of this team...meh

Brisebois is not a choice by default, he's probably the best GM candidate of the entire NHL. He's a new breed of hockey guy that mix in finance and hockey knowledge. The American league Tampa farm club has been dominating every year with him in charge. He always help Yzerman to find gems.

I will also say the thing against him in these boards is that cause he's french, he must suck.

Ideal thing would be to team up with a veteran guy where Brisebois is the GM and you could have him team with someone like Doug Risebrough.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
that's what most think whenever they hear/read a french names for possible next Habs staff. The guy cannot be the best possible candidate and speak french, impossible.
I don't mean it that way...

I just find it weak that he likely would be at the top of the list, and I don't think it's necessarily because of what he's accomplished vs other potential candidates

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
that's what most think whenever they hear/read a french names for possible next Habs staff. The guy cannot be the best possible candidate and speak french, impossible.
Not impossible, but statistically improbable.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

I just find it weak that he likely would be at the top of the list, and I don't think it's necessarily because of what he's accomplished vs other potential candidates

you didnt mean it that way, yet the explanation is exactly "that way".

the only reason he'd be at the top of the list is because he's "local". Got it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It’s become improbable. If you want to lose the rest of your life, accept you never want to hear a translator. Because that somehow is more important
personally I'd have no problem the Habs staff using a translator whenever they do inteviews in english and al'.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well, have you actually looked at what he has accomplished?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
you didnt mean it that way, yet the explanation is exactly "that way".

the only reason he'd be at the top of the list is because he's "local". Got it.
Alright take it however you want.

Not only only would he be at the top of the list...he's be up there alone.

Oh, I guess with Patrick Roy.

Yawn.

I'm not knocking him, I'm knocking the process. But like I said, you take that however you want.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, have you actually looked at what he has accomplished?
I'm aware of who Julien Brisebois is...what he's accomplished is very ambiguous as it's hard to tell what an assistant GM is or isn't responsible for.

Again, I don't have a problem with the dude...if I had my way, the next GM just wouldn't have ties to this organization.

That's just what I want...if Brisebois gets the job, onwards and upwards.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm aware of who Julien Brisebois is...what he's accomplished is very ambiguous as it's hard to tell what an assistant GM is or isn't responsible for.

Again, I don't have a problem with the dude...if I had my way, the next GM just wouldn't have ties to this organization.

That's just what I want...if Brisebois gets the job, onwards and upwards.
Well I know who he is too but honestly, as you said, I don't know much about what he actually is responsible for. So can't really say wether or not he's a good-bad choice.
On the surface he seems like a qualified candidate however.

It really isn't possible for us to know anyways. I thought Bergevin was the perfect fit and look how freaking horrible that has turned out to be..

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

What have any other candidates without GM experience accomplished that would be greater than Brisebois in your opinion?

I get if one were to argue that we should only hire someone with NHL experience (don't agree, but can see the argument), I'm just struggling to understand what standard you are holding him to?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Fenton is a guy who has a great reputation...

A shame he won't ever be considered because the team doesn't want to shell out for some french language training at Jonquière lol

Brisebois doesn't move me, just seems like a candidate by default.

Hes french, so he's destined to be GM of this team...meh

I actually agree with this sentiment. Brisebois, for us, seems to be the best candidate. We all know what ''for us'' means. I'm not ready to anoint any GM the saviour of the franchise until I see them implement a strategy. We've been bamboozled before.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What have any other candidates without GM experience accomplished that would be greater than Brisebois in your opinion?

I get if one were to argue that we should only hire someone with NHL experience (don't agree, but can see the argument), I'm just struggling to understand what standard you are holding him to?
I've never said there's anything wrong with Brisebois...

So I'm not quite sure what would be the purpose of answering that question.

He's a potential candidate just like many others should be.

My gripe seems to be that he seems to be the ONLY candidate, by default, not because HE's french, but because the Habs only consider candidates who speak french.

My issue is not with Brisebois, it's with the Habs hiring policies.

Perhaps YOU can tell me what makes Brisebois more qualified for the job than say Paul Fenton? Whose name has been circling way before Brisebois in terms of 'brightest minds' in hockey?

I'm sure Brisebois is very qualified, but if he becomes the ONLY candidate just based on the language he speaks (through team policy). What if Brisebois developed partial amnesia tomorrow that made him forget how to speak french? Does he get crossed off the Habs list? Lol silly scenario, I know...but point remains.

I'm not personally moved

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

My gripe seems to be that he seems to be the ONLY candidate, by default, not because HE's french, but because the Habs only consider candidates who speak french.

Perhaps YOU can tell me what makes Brisebois more qualified for the job than say Paul Fenton? Whose name has been circling way before Brisebois in terms of 'brightest minds' in hockey?

I'm sure Brisebois is very qualified, but if he becomes the ONLY candidate just based on the language he speaks (through team policy). What if Brisebois developed partial amnesia tomorrow that made him forget how to speak french? Does he get crossed off the Habs list? Lol silly scenario, I know...but point remains.

I'm not personally moved

Fenton ever been a GM in the NHL ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I'm not personally moved
The question was directed to what you wrote in the quoted post.

You stated "I don't think it's necessarily because of what he's accomplished vs other potential candidates".

I asked you what you felt was superior accomplishments of other candidates.

Never implied anything more so I'm a bit confused by all the other points you then brought up that had nothing to do with my simple & direct question.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
More than that, he has a Masters as well... an MBA to be exact. I also believe his law experience is around contract law, so certainly an asset as well.
Why is he not our GM yet, scoop this guy as soon as possible tabarnak. He won't be available for long!!!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why is he not our GM yet, scoop this guy as soon as possible tabarnak. He won't be available for long!!!

I'll point out that degrees aren't everything. People hate on Timmins, but he has an MBA and masters in Sports Administration.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I'll point out that degrees aren't everything. People hate on Timmins, but he has an MBA and masters in Sports Administration.

I don't know how somebody can still defend Timmins. The guy is a big part of the mess this franchise has turned into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad