Speculation: New GM: Darche or Madden Jr?

Who would you rather have as GM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No to Darche
Yes to Madden Jr for headscout and ''assistant GM''. Just throw money at him.
To me, finding a head scout and scouting team is the priority. Obviously Madden would be great, but so would the Sens head scout.

Every current GM candidate has their flaws, but I'm willing to gamble on inexperience with Gorton grooming them.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't and won't vote because I honestly know nothing about either despite the recent hype. My fingers are basically crossed but I am hopeful Montreal manages to make a string of right decisions.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Madden jr. all day, love the experience and track record

* oh snap did not realize vote would be that lopsided, proud of you guys
*like*
Obvious best call. Hopefully we don't pull a Canadiens-its worse than a Munson'd, and hire Roy. (Roy E Munson :laugh:) Of the entire list he is lowest on my radar. I would try Melody Davidson or Gina Kingsbury before I went with him. Neither are french, but at least they could mark some kind of checklist that you could counter with "what are you sexist?":popcorn:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
To me Bergevin valued chemistry, intangible and grinding over talent because he was that type of player.

Will Darche have the same kind of values because he was a grinder too?

I think Briere who was a talented player can recognize skilled player and try to assemble a talented team over a grinding team.

Does that make any sense?

Yep, and Roy is like Briere.

Clear track record of that in the CHL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
*like*
Obvious best call. Hopefully we don't pull a Canadiens-its worse than a Munson'd, and hire Roy. (Roy E Munson :laugh:) Of the entire list he is lowest on my radar. I would try Melody Davidson or Gina Kingsbury before I went with him. Neither are french, but at least they could mark some kind of checklist that you could counter with "what are you sexist?":popcorn:

Yeah because going woke will make us win. Competence and respect, will make us win.

Reactions: KikoHunter

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah because going woke will make us win. Competence and respect, will make us win.
Thats my point, Roy is just a woke kind of candidate. He does not have the right mentality for Montreal, maybe elsewhere but not here. So if that is your criteria for him being GM might as well get one of those women instead.

Just so you know both of those woman are competent and have respect. The same can't be said of Roy.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm prepared to come over from Russia and do the job for quarter the salary.

I'm also fat, so no one is going to complain about my muscular biceps.
They might complain about your two-four pack.
(I don't know if you're an ex-pat Canuck or a native-born Russian so I'll ruin my lame joke by explaining it. Two-four is what some Canadians call a 24 pack of beer. A six-pack is what an Adonis has. Put the two together.

Reactions: Archijerej

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Thats my point, Roy is just a woke kind of candidate. He does not have the right mentality for Montreal, maybe elsewhere but not here. So if that is your criteria for him being GM might as well get one of those women instead.

Just so you know both of those woman are competent and have respect. The same can't be said of Roy.

"Might as well get one of the women instead"

LOL sorry, but this is beyond ridiculous and sexist (sexism of low expectations).

What is this mysterious right mentality for Montreal? A losers mentality? or the same mentality that made him the core piece in 2 last cups of this franchise? Remember that?

I'm not pushing for Roy in any way, but these arguments have no connection to reality.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

LOL sorry, but this is beyond ridiculous and sexist (sexism of low expectations).

What is this mysterious right mentality for Montreal? A losers mentality? or the same mentality that made him the core piece in 2 last cups of this franchise? Remember that?

I'm not pushing for Roy in any way, but these arguments have no connection to reality.

Lol man, that is one HIGH horse

Reactions: KikoHunter

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Lol man, that is one HIGH horse

You can read it as you want, but I'm dead tired of this crusade against individuals of passion in their field.

Roy is no perfect guy or GM. But he has that emotional flame that the rocket had as well. One should argue that this competitiveness will have a cost, probably true. But when you start inferring things about "mentality"...it's a bridge too far when talking about someone who has proven he can win (something we haven't been doing since he left).

Reactions: VAN-HAB

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I don’t think Doc was being sexist at all. Those women are competent and respected and I’d consider both before Roy. I don’t know if they’re the best candidates as I’m not the one interviewing them, but if they are, I’d 100% be on board.

Regardless of who they are considering and interviewing, Roy’s not getting the job. In his case, he’s not qualified to be a GM. Fiery and passionate are not job qualifications. They are nice “extras”, but a GM needs things like hockey negotiations, million of dollars contract experience and preferably a university degree.

Reactions: Runner77

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don’t think Doc was being sexist at all. Those women are competent and respected and I’d consider both before Roy. I don’t know if they’re the best candidates as I’m not the one interviewing them, but if they are, I’d 100% be on board.

Regardless of who they are considering and interviewing, Roy’s not getting the job. In his case, he’s not qualified to be a GM. Fiery and passionate are not job qualifications. They are nice “extras”, but a GM needs things like hockey negotiations, million of dollars contract experience and preferably a university degree.

Might as well hire X - is not a shining endorsement of a person. These 2 women deserve better, to be evaluated for their own individual competence instead of grouped under the "women" qualifier.

You can say a lot of things, but to say that Roy is not qualified as a GM is absolute total nonsense.

We literally don't have anyone more qualified.

14 years as a GM in the CHL, 1 memorial cup, 3 years in Colorado as VP hockey ops.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Nice try to twist things. Its not sexist. If you are only tying one thing as a reason to hire someone then these woman, because they haven't been brought into the conversation yet, have something more to offer, specifically doing this very job as I pointed out in the second paragraph. So if anything you were projecting your own sexism into the first paragraph.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Might as well hire X - is not a shining endorsement of a person. These 2 women deserve better, to be evaluated for their own individual competence instead of grouped under the "women" qualifier.

You can say a lot of things, but to say that Roy is not qualified as a GM is absolute total nonsense.

14 years as a GM in the CHL, 1 memorial cup, 3 years in Colorado as VP hockey ops.

How long ago was his time in Colorado? While he shared GM duties for a VERY brief period, we all know after a year, Sakic was the real decision maker for Colorado. Roy being Roy, eventually handled that like he always handles things when they don’t work for him… he quit.

Is time the CHL worth more than the NHL? What are his managmeent credentials? How many player contracts has he negotiated? CHL contract negotiation is nothing compared to the NHL. A player who doesn’t want to come to a team in the CHL does not have the same consequences as failed negotiations at the NHL level.

If Roy is such a great and qualified GM, why hasn’t he worked at this level in the NHL? Sure, he’ll take the position of GM of the Canadiens if given to him. However, if he wanted to work at this level, he would had been actively seeking it long before Gorton’s hiring.

Anyhow, this is a moot point. He’s not going to be GM on the Habs. I’d even argue he doesn’t want the job. However, he likes the interviews and attention from his fans and the media.

Reactions: Runner77

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Would Madden be open to the idea of being the head scout instead ? Is it GM or bust in his case ? It feels like junior scouting is what he really excels at and where he could make the biggest impact. Plus, if talking to the press isnt his cup of tea, he'd do a hell of a lot less of it as the head scout, where you basically talk to them once a year around the draft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
How long ago was his time in Colorado? While he shared GM duties for a VERY brief period, we all know after a year, Sakic was the real decision maker for Colorado. Roy being Roy, eventually handled that like he always handles things when they don’t work for him… he quit.

Is time the CHL worth more than the NHL? What are his managmeent credentials? How many player contracts has he negotiated? CHL contract negotiation is nothing compared to the NHL. A player who doesn’t want to come to a team in the CHL does not have the same consequences as failed negotiations at the NHL level.

If Roy is such a great and qualified GM, why hasn’t he worked at this level in the NHL? Sure, he’ll take the position of GM of the Canadiens if given to him. However, if he wanted to work at this level, he would had been actively seeking it long before Gorton’s hiring.

Anyhow, this is a moot point. He’s not going to be GM on the Habs. I’d even argue he doesn’t want the job. However, he likes the interviews and attention from his fans and the media.

You mean after 3 years? This isn't weekend like you seem to want to brand Roy with that character trait. So no one can make a change after 3 years and not be branded hot heated? lol

Roy's hat was not in the ring before this year for other jobs. He wanted to work in Montreal.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

St Patrick owns Les Remparts, he was able to outspend every other owner in the Q to bring in talent like Radulov, the way the Hunters do with London - BTW how did Dale Hunters foray into NHL coaching & management work out for a few in the belly guy?

Its a new world order of pro sports management, Roy has been unofficially blackballed by the NHL for the way he abandoned his Avs team at training camp and branded “enfant gate” - that’s a management no no. He’s toast and desperately looking to get back in, because no one will ever give him another chance

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Madden isn't the first choice, at least offer him more money to come as AGM and to oversee our scouting department. Put more money into scouting to allow him to build a better scouting team for us as well.

He lives in Quebec City, so it would be closer to home and he'd get more money. Also, Anaheim didn't offer him the interim job so who knows if he even wants to stick around there.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna

Really well said

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Nice try to twist things. Its not sexist. If you are only tying one thing as a reason to hire someone then these woman, because they haven't been brought into the conversation yet, have something more to offer, specifically doing this very job as I pointed out in the second paragraph. So if anything you were projecting your own sexism into the first paragraph.

I only quoted your words.

I don't know either individual that you compared for competence vs. Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad