Speculation: New GM: Darche or Madden Jr?

Who would you rather have as GM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
St Patrick owns Les Remparts, he was able to outspend every other owner in the Q to bring in talent like Radulov, the way the Hunters do with London - BTW how did Dale Hunters foray into NHL coaching & management work out for a few in the belly guy?

Its a new world order of pro sports management, Roy has been unofficially blackballed by the NHL for the way he abandoned his Avs team at training camp - that’s a management no no. He’s toast and desperately looking to get back in, because no one will ever give him another chance

Do you have s subscription to bad arguments by association?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I really doesnt want Darche. I mean. He doesn’t impress me at all at l’antichambre. He seems to be an emotive guys in love with carey price. He also been only a caracter player in the nhl like MB. I mean. Yes. He won 2 cups in Tampa. But that was the result of Yzerman, Darche wasn’t the builder of it.
Martin Madden never been a GM. But is he a good buisnessman? If he is our GM. He will mostly follow habs game and let the scouting department to anyone else. And will comunicate with GM. I would like to have Madden as a GM. But head scout in same time. Is it possible? I have my doubt.

Reactions: _habsfan9

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Do you have s subscription to bad arguments by association?
Top 2-3 all time great goalies in league history, but St Patrick has no one to blame but himself for committing NHL management suicide.

Roy will never be given management responsibility in the NHL ever

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The way he quit the Avs comme enfant gate, at training camp just prior to start of the season and leaving the org scrambling, with a highly respected hockey individual like Sakic and powerful owner like Kroenke - that’s a permanent stain, owners & management types do not overlook… ever

Incompetent childish behavior… which screams the opposite of management capability

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Would Madden be open to the idea of being the head scout instead ? Is it GM or bust in his case ? It feels like junior scouting is what he really excels at and where he could make the biggest impact. Plus, if talking to the press isnt his cup of tea, he'd do a hell of a lot less of it as the head scout, where you basically talk to them once a year around the draft.

Seattle tried to recruit him to be assistant GM to Francis and so Anaheim made him assistant GM to keep him in the organization. Some think the fact he wasn't named interim GM when Murray went to rehab was a sign he isn't front of the line but Madden was new to the job and Solomon was pulled from LA after like two decades specifically for that spot.

Knowing now that Solomon is likely head of the line for the Ducks GM job, I think Madden Jr. could be interested in being assistant GM/head scout similar to what Trevor Timmins was for us. Especially since he still lives in Quebec.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The way he quit the Avs comme enfant gate, at training camp just prior to start of the season and leaving the org scrambling, with a highly respected hockey individual like Sakic - that’s a permanent stain, owners & management types do not overlook… ever

That's just complete speculation.
Nobody knows the content of these discussions, which led to him leave the avs.

Nobody knows the status of Roy vs. employment possibilities in the NHL.
Patrick said he was called multiple times for others coaching jobs...
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/patrick-roy-ottawa-senators-coach-1.5141873

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Might as well hire X - is not a shining endorsement of a person. These 2 women deserve better, to be evaluated for their own individual competence instead of grouped under the "women" qualifier.

You can say a lot of things, but to say that Roy is not qualified as a GM is absolute total nonsense.

We literally don't have anyone more qualified.

14 years as a GM in the CHL, 1 memorial cup, 3 years in Colorado as VP hockey ops.

I see Roy as a Junior level GM. He has huge advantages over other teams and hasn't set the world on fire. I can't imagine him working under a salary cap. He has done nothing to prove he is an NHL capable GM. I also remember his older Remparts team choking vs a young Mooseheads team...blew a 3-0 lead and was outcoached by Ducharme.

For all the comments about Roy's will to win, he also has a track record of quitting on teams when things don't go his way.

Likely a moot discussion anyway. After reporting to Sather and Davidson and now finally being the top dog in an organization's hockey ops chain of command, I cannot see Gorton hiring Roy after how things ended for Patrick in Colorado.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's just complete speculation.
Nobody knows the content of these discussions, which led to him leave the avs.

Nobody knows the status of Roy vs. employment possibilities in the NHL.
Patrick said he was called multiple times for others coaching jobs...
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/patrick-roy-ottawa-senators-coach-1.5141873
That’s why he needed to hire an agent to find him an NHL job last summer and made it public yet hasn’t been employed by anyone? Everyone considers St Patrick but no one actually hires him? Why?

He quit on the Habs w his temper tantrum, quit on Team Canada because they wouldn’t guarantee him the starters job over Brodeur amongst others, there’s a history of quitting if he doesn’t get what he wants.

Which owner is willing to bet on such a trend?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That’s why he needed to hire an agent to find him an NHL job last summer and made it public yet hasn’t been employed by anyone? Why?

Because otherwise, he's too busy to apply himself? There are all kinds of reason why an already very rich GM of a junior team, won't play the game of a normal coach. Nothing to do with being "locked out" because some think he ruffled some feathers.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Because otherwise, he's too busy to apply himself? There are all kinds of reason why an already very rich GM of a junior team, won't play the game of a normal coach. Nothing to do with being "locked out" because some think he ruffled some feathers.
Only the future will tell - but I guarantee you he may only get a GM job one day if he starts ground up and proves himself without throwing a temper tantrum, and that’s only if anyone will take a chance to give him an opportunity, but he’ll never get a top job from get go because of his history of behavior..

Reactions: Runner77

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Isn't Gorton the true GM, and this other "GM" is basically a translator/media relations guy?
Yes this latter person will have the title. Its actually pretty innovative: Have your cake and eat it too.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Isn't Gorton the true GM, and this other "GM" is basically a translator/media relations guy?
Yes this latter person will have the title. Its actually pretty innovative: Have your cake and eat it too.

No. The organization has said the opposite of this. GM has the final say.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

The general manager will not be a puppet. They'll work with GMs around the league, meet with players, sign, trade, etc.

Jeff Gorton's job is to do all of the internal work outside of that. He'll still work with GM's as well (there's plenty of assistant GM's who do that) but he's more about creating the road map, establishing the culture, establishing the type of team this is, and picking the best people for jobs. He will be the architect. The general manager will be the general manager.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Masterfully worded by Molson “ GM will bear full responsibility for decisions” without actual final say….

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard Geoff say that the final say stayed with the GM.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That's also not what Molson said.

Shoot, did I miss something? Watched the presser and I'm pretty sure in French that's what he said. Talked about the GM being accountable/responsible for those decisions in English. Has this been refuted since the press conference?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Are you serious ?
Are you still laboring under the misapprehension that someone other than Gorton is the GM? Because even the francophone media knows that the guy they're about to hire as "General Manager" is just going to be the Anglo GM's flunky, That's why they're losing their shit right now.

The person they hire will have one job: to translate whatever Gorton decides to do into French, call a press conference and then spend an hour or so trying to convince the media that the decision was his own idea. That's it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shoot, did I miss something? Watched the presser and I'm pretty sure in French that's what he said. Talked about the GM being accountable/responsible for those decisions in English. Has this been refuted since the press conference?
Well he didn't explicitly state that the GM would have final say, just that in his position he would assume some form of decision making in conjunction with Gorton.

Who does what we won't ever know.

Reactions: Draft
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad