New forum software

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The funniest thing about these boards is that it's almost like talking politics or religion. Just about nobody comes to an agreement. Like if somebody proposal Hall for Larsson it would've been locked.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Since the day after launch I've had a pretty decent user experience, I'm pretty happy so far.

Are there still post limits for threads?

There are no explicit post limits for threads - that was a database performance issue years back, then simply became standard operating procedure. We're not sure as a moderator group how it'll be handled going forward.

For polls where the voting is public, can they be set up to display the voters in all choices (like before)?

There's an option to make the votes public when creating a poll. You can also hide the votes, if you think you'll get a better response if it's anonymous.

I do not like the autoplay.

Neither do we - I know where to fix it, but it requires access to the CSS and template files on the server, so this will have to wait for our illustrious grand-poobah-admin to fix it. He's been more than a bit busy with the migration. ;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
[mod]

And about the white background being too bright: it's like someone said, most people have their screen brightness level too high. That is because most sites don't use plain white as their background, it's usually a bit tinted so that it's not so bright (at least that's how I think it is). So basically it's we should be adjusting our screen brightness for every site we use to have the best readability, and that's not quite practical.

I have my screen brightness turned down quite a bit. Not so much that I have to turn it up for some sites though. When I first turned it down a few things looked a bit dim. I don't think it took me 5 minutes to get used to the change. Photos, video, everything looks just fine, colours are vivid and my eyes are a lot less strained. This page looks to me like a typed letter. I mean on paper.

Reactions: jetdiehard

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
There's an option to make the votes public when creating a poll. You can also hide the votes, if you think you'll get a better response if it's anonymous.

I understand that. Let me try a third time to convey what I want. If I click on the vote count link for my choice, I get the following people displayed:

Members who voted for '36-40'
To find out who voted in each poll option, I have to click on each of the vote count links. Before, I could click on any vote count link and it brought up a table of all of the voters in every option.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Probably the biggest issue I have is that my iPad crashes a lot on these forums now, where it never did before. My iPad is older and sites that have a lot of ads and animation make it crash.
In the middle of typing in
Really makes for a poor experience.

As I was typing this, it crashed, but my text was all there. Oh, I just noticed a little note pop up saying "draft saved" . I guess that solves some of it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
These below worked for me and should stop autoplay here (and elsewhere on the web) until that's addressed:

- Chrome browser = In address bar, type "chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy", then select "Document user activation is required." from the drop-down box before relaunching.

- Firefox browser = In address bar, type "about:config", then search for "autoplay" and toggle "media.autoplay.embed" to false.

No problem. As an aside, if that Chrome autoplay workaround isn't available in anyone's version, try updating to the latest v.61 where possible.

For those not running Chrome 61 (I am running 59.0.3071.115) you can disable autoplay by setting the following to enabled in "chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy":

Media playback in cross-origin iframes requires user gesture
Gesture requirement for media playback

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think for the most part I'm okay with the new look even though I preferred the old one. However, I don't what happened to the emoji icon selection and how it displays now. There are only a few emojis that actually display correctly but most of them just show up like a little scenery picture on the left hand side followed by a word. For example I used to use the Jets logo emoji and it would correctly display the Jets logo. However, now it just displays a little scenery picture with a colon punctuation ":" and the word "jets" beside it. I have no idea how to get the emojis to display properly as they did before the HFBoards migration.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These below worked for me and should stop autoplay here (and elsewhere on the web) until that's addressed:

- Chrome browser = In address bar, type "chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy", then select "Document user activation is required." from the drop-down box before relaunching.

- Firefox browser = In address bar, type "about:config", then search for "autoplay" and toggle "media.autoplay.embed" to false.

Seems to work. Thanks. Learned something too.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Man, trying to quote someone has become a challenge. Sometimes it works, sometimes the formatting is odd, the word "QUOTE" appears in final text. The quote button doesn't seem to work like before, the insert quote button doesn't insert quote, just two "QUOTE". I guess I have to cut and paste a quote. It's likely me and having to get used to a new format, but doesn't seem intuitive at all. But is it me? Or are these still bugs, like the smiley thingies?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To anyone losing years from their life because of advertisement aggravation and having made HF a ~daily habit, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Membership Upgrade: Yearly Sponsor option.

The other benefits for the 12 USD yearly fee are apparenty a bit in the air at this point because of the migration, but getting rid of ads and mis-clicks because of the page jumping have been just a-ah-wesome.

$1/mo. You can't even feed a child in Nigeria for that. 1 beer + ? (is there anything?) at BMTSP. So cheap at the price for any regular user here that you almost can't afford not to.

Reactions: Lempo

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Man, trying to quote someone has become a challenge. Sometimes it works, sometimes the formatting is odd, the word "QUOTE" appears in final text. The quote button doesn't seem to work like before, the insert quote button doesn't insert quote, just two "QUOTE". I guess I have to cut and paste a quote. It's likely me and having to get used to a new format, but doesn't seem intuitive at all. But is it me? Or are these still bugs, like the smiley thingies?

If you want to quote the whole thing, just hit "Reply" - you'll end up with the whole post quoted, as I've done with your post here. If you want to quote a part of it, you can actually select the text, and you'll get a popup that allows you to quote just a section, like this:

The quote button doesn't seem to work like before

I just went back up to your post, and selected this text then selected "reply", and it pasted it into the message I'm in the middle of creating.

It's not quite as simple as before, but it does have some niceties that the old system did not have. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Further to quoting - if you want to multi-quote, click +quote on all the messages you want to multi-quote, then go down to the message entry box and hit "Insert Quotes". You're then presented with a list of posts that will be quoted - you can either remove the ones you don't want to quote, or just close the box. Whatever's left in the dialog when you close it will be inserted so you can respond. I selected two here for quoting, for instance:

Seems to work. Thanks. Learned something too.

I guess I have to cut and paste a quote.

You can also use the select/quote workflow I pointed out in the previous message to respond to snippets from multiple people.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mentioned this just after the site came back up, and I would like it as well.

A more prominent border would also get the job done. The date/time displayed in the left hand column under the poster's summary, or more prominently at the top of the post would be appreciated. I am getting accustomed to looking for it in the new location but at the very least it could use a larger, bold font.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The date/time displayed in the left hand column under the poster's summary, or more prominently at the top of the post would be appreciated. I am getting accustomed to looking for it in the new location but at the very least it could use a larger, bold font.

With the responsive design taking care of mobile devices, this won't happen. You'd lose the post information (time posted, etc) when the avatar and user information is decreased in single column mode. The time posted belongs to the post information itself, and is considered separate from the user info.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the responsive design taking care of mobile devices, this won't happen. You'd lose the post information (time posted, etc) when the avatar and user information is decreased in single column mode. The time posted belongs to the post information itself, and is considered separate from the user info.

OK, got it. It should be possible to make it a little more prominent though. That is all that is really needed.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
If you want to quote the whole thing, just hit "Reply" - you'll end up with the whole post quoted, as I've done with your post here. If you want to quote a part of it, you can actually select the text, and you'll get a popup that allows you to quote just a section, like this:

I just went back up to your post, and selected this text then selected "reply", and it pasted it into the message I'm in the middle of creating.

It's not quite as simple as before, but it does have some niceties that the old system did not have. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

Ok, I hit reply. Seems to work. But then when I hit more options, or imojiis, I seem to lose the formatting. Let's give it a try.
:cool: maybe it's just me. There are some nice features. Probably just need to get used to it.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Is there no way to jump to the newest post in a thread?

Need to be able to ignore threads again.

Generally not a fan of the change. Get off my lawn and all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad