New CBA has Crosby considering Europe instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah, you know...my first reaction to something like this is anger...I'm all for the players getting a fair deal in the new CBA but for christ's sake, is it about the money or the game?? cmon...I have to believe this is some kind of stupid bluff, likely with his agent behind it, like others have said...

It's hard to believe that a kid born and raised in Canada, growing up looking towards the NHL as his dream, would just pack up and take off to europe at age 18 to play in a completely foreign league over money issues, when he could still make over a million dollars. If Crosby would really do that, then yes, eff him

but I can't quite believe it...this has BS written all over it. but it certainly is annoying

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
e-townchamps said:
if it's his "dream" to play in the NHL then he'll play there if a CBA is reached

if he goes to Europe, we all know what his intentions are...

I guess we could say the same of most Europeans who play over here?

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
This article is all the agents' doing, the NHLPA certified agents are worried they will see less $ in their pockets for the same amount of work in the new CBA world. Boo hoo! Poor Crosby probably doesn't even know his agent is making these statements to stir things up.

I doubt that Reebok would be happy to see Sid run off to Europe, so I expect it's a threat and nothing more!

mooseOAK*

missK said:
This article is all the agents' doing, the NHLPA certified agents are worried they will see less $ in their pockets for the same amount of work in the new CBA world. Boo hoo! Poor Crosby probably doesn't even know his agent is making these statements to stir things up.

I doubt that Reebok would be happy to see Sid run off to Europe, so I expect it's a threat and nothing more!
Yeah, how are people supposed to see the Reebok logo with all that other advertising on the European sweaters? It would be a "Where's Waldo" exercise.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Gawd, what a freakin' whiner this kid is.

"My jersey got stolen! Waaah!! :cry: "

"I'm too TIRED to play in Vancouver! Waaah!! :cry: "

"Millions of dollars to play in the NHL isn't enough! Waaah!! :cry: "

It'd be just my luck that we actually win the draft lottery, and be stuck with this damn prima donna.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It just gets better and better

well, I guess the European leagues are a viable alternative to the NHL.

Seems then that the salary structure there could ba a good basis for the salary range of players in the NHL.

FrozenPond

Feb 7, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out Sid . . .
If you’ve ever wondered why some fans don’t like seeing the best young players in the game go to weak, unappreciative markets, then just re-read your post. The answer is staring you in the face. :shakehead

He’s a 17-year-old kid, and you don’t like something his agent said. Well boo-hoo.

X0ssbar

All agent(s)....

....and I think its down right dispicable that an undrafted 17 year old teenager is getting his name dragged through the mud so that some gutless overpaid vulchers can line their wallets..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Euro Season is short ...Lots of time for Crosby to walk around in his Reebok cap and sweatshirt during the summer ..

Lots of commercials and other sponsor events Crosby can attend to fulfil his commitment over the next 5 years.

The Olympics, World Championships, World Cups all chances for Crosby to show off the logo ..

Reebok paid him to use his name really and plaster his face on posters, billboards and TV adds ... not much different then a super model gets paid for a TV add or even a playboy bunny gets for a photo shoot ..

How often have you noticed what kind of running shoes your favourite athlete wears??

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What's wrong with the kid wanting to go where he will be paid the best for what he does? I don't think it's any different than, say, a business major who dreams of working at Reebok's corporate offices but goes to Nike instead because they offer more. Would anyone complain about faceless Business Man going where the money is? No. This would be no different. Plus, it might keep everyone from pissing and moaning about the draft order.

Also, why does everyone think so many european players come over here? For the food? For the culture? I'm sure they like the idea of playing against the best, etc. etc. etc. and all of that nice mumbo jumbo, but in the end I have a feeling having a bigger number after all of those zeroes plays a pretty healthy part in their decision making process. The NHL has been luring talant away from other nations for quite some time, and there's no room to complain if those other places start to turn the tables a bit.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The other nations have no chance whatsoever to lure talents from North America, only Russia can pay a comparable salary to whatever rookie cap the NHL will have and it's not like a million bucks is common there, either.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Why do I get the sick feeling this kid gets a bad injury in Europe and possibly never even gets to play in a future NHL? :shakehead

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
mooseOAK said:
Reebok will love the fact that they signed him to a bunch of money so that he can play in a place where there will be little exposure for Crosby.

File this under more BS.

um ... you know that hockey here in Europe is well liked and people follow players too. Do you really think only people in America spend money on reebok?

Little exposure .. I think not ... little exposure for him in America, yes ... but there is more to the world than ........ America :rant: :madfire:

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
The Euro Season is short ...Lots of time for Crosby to walk around in his Reebok cap and sweatshirt during the summer ..

Lots of commercials and other sponsor events Crosby can attend to fulfil his commitment over the next 5 years.

The Olympics, World Championships, World Cups all chances for Crosby to show off the logo ..

Reebok paid him to use his name really and plaster his face on posters, billboards and TV adds ... not much different then a super model gets paid for a TV add or even a playboy bunny gets for a photo shoot ..

How often have you noticed what kind of running shoes your favourite athlete wears??

You just keep digging and digging, don't you! :biglaugh:

Sorry, gotta get back to the TV to wait for that big David Beckham spot for Reebok on KPHO!

:sarcasm:

X0ssbar

Wisent said:
I can't see the slightest thing wrong with him playing in Europe.

Your right, there isn't anything wrong with it as long as its something he wants to do..

The problem here is that he ("he" being Crosby) isn't even quoted in this article as saying that he would want to play in Europe.

Again, IMO - this article is nothing but selfish agent propoganda to ensure their pockets stay lined in the future. This has nothing to do with Crosby, his playing options or his development.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I don't buy this for a second. You think Reebok's going to be happy if one of their most lucrative signings went overseas next year? That'd be like Lebron playing for the flippin' Italian basketball league to hold out for salary. Goodbye contract, Sid

Agreed that this is just fluff from the PA-friendly intermediary of Agents. Just part of the negotiating tactics

And anyways, if Crosby landed in say... Russia... what's to say that any hardworking player is going to put his sights on Crosby and injure the kid... he's going to be going in to a warzone and would likely be injured. Nothing like damaged goods coming into the NHL.

To me, it sounds like all the stiffness of character comes from his agent.... thank god he's firable

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Many of you are un-friggin-believable.... I'd like to see how many of you hot shots would turn down possibly double your salary from another company, just because your company happens to be {insert country of origin here} owned and you should work for it because it needs you.. whatever that means.

if Crosby REALLy wanted to play in the NHL, he'd tell his agent to screw off and find another one who'l represent him for his best interests

Best Interests? As many of you have said over and over and over again, the average hockey players career is 4 money making years and since these players are "dumb" and can't do anything else, I would certainly say it's in his best interest to make as much money as he can in those 4 years. If he can do it in the NHL then great, but if he can make his fortune elsewhere, then why should anyone care.

I really hope people supporting the players look at this. It's a prime example of ownership continually being held hostage by players and their agents. This is not going to change - holdouts, whining, calling players cheap - it'll all continue.

I still don't see any gun here.. he's not holding out, just exploring his options to work for another company that pays him more. The NHL and the owners constantly talk about this being a business, so what if players play the same game.

Interesting. The kid hasn't played a single shift outside of junior and he's making these demands? He wasn't even the best player on his team at the WJC (I wouldn't put him in the top five on Team Canada) and he's making these demands? And its the owners who are greedy? Oh, the irony!!! Thanks for posting this Messenger. Makes the players look like the no-mind idiots most of us think they are

Every NHL GM will disagree with you. Again, would you turn down a signifigant raise, perhaps double of what you are making? I still don't see how this is greedy? And still.. he's not as good as everyone says he is, right? So he should be thankful if he gets a contract outside of the NHL..

Sounds like another great young player who signed in the WHA.

Quoted for the truth.

It'd be just my luck that we actually win the draft lottery, and be stuck with this damn prima donna

You should start a petition with other Canuck fans to make sure he isn't drafted by your team.. I'm sure you can get many to go along with your assessment. :shakehead

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Agent: Crosby considering Europe ..via TSN

Brisson says even if the NHL and the NHLPA work out a new collective bargaining agreement, caps on entry-level salaries could still make it more profitable for Crosby to play outside of North America.

Under the last collective bargaining agreement, rookies in the NHL were limited to a base salary of $1.25-million a season. However, the deal does not take into effect various incentive clauses, which have helped to drive rookie salaries higher. Talks on a new deal seem to indicate those loopholes could be closed as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=122912&hubName=nhl
ok...bye bye Sidney...the NHL will do fine without you

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Good post shakes. It's becoming abundantly clear that many of these whiners want nothing less than the players to forfeit all their rights. If you are a talented hockey player, then it is your duty to play in the NHL, under terms dictated by the owners, for the purpose of providing entertainment to people who could not care less about you.

Frankly, if Crosby wants to play in Europe, where he may get more money and will encounter some real culture, then all power to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad