New CBA has Crosby considering Europe instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
For everybody attacking Brisson... there is not a chance in hell that Pat says something like this without talking to Sidney first. As somebody said, Brisson can be fired at any time by Sidney and as tight as Brisson & Barry are with Sidney I highly doubt they'd use his name like this to get themselves some press.

What has likely occured is they have discussed w/Sidney & his family the rumors they are hearing about the new rookie cap and Pat said, "if we say something, such as an empty threat we'll go elsewhere if its in your best interests, it MAY push the NHL to work something out unique with the entry level contracts OR re-work the entire ELS"

Pat Brisson, JP Barry, and IMG are one of the biggest agencies in the game (and the largest in the business), they can spew out whatever they want to any media outlet and have it picked up but there's a reason Sidney's name is tied to it, a higher entry level system would benefit SIDNEY.

To add, the person that said he should hire an agent to look out for his best interests. Wake up and face reality... no matter how good a player Sidney is, it'll be in his best interest to make every penny possible while playing because at any point (injury, fatigue, age) it could come to an end. Then what? Gretz, Lemieux, etc. are all staying active with financial investments back into the game but the lifestyle those 2 lead (anybody see Wayne's house?) would require them to continue earning money. It's Brisson's job to calculate how Sidney can maximize his career earnings (salary, endorsements, etc.) and ultimately the decision always lies in the players hands. IMG isn't one of those firms that is going to lie to a client like Crosby because he's high profile enough another agent would slip in there and tear them apart if they did.

The agents always get the heat but unless they're lying to the client (it does happen), they shouldn't get much of it because it's the players that make the ultimate decisions (trade demands, etc., etc.). Your ask your stock broker to suggest 3 stocks to you and you will pick one to buy and the one you pick tanks 27% in a year while the others are up 200%, your fault, not your brokers. Overall, the 3 he picked have a 124% average gain (wow!).

A Good Flying Bird*

slats432 said:
As an owner supporter, for much of this thing, if there is a max cap of X dollars and a team what is the point of an entry level cap?

EXACTLY.
Why can people not see this?

If the owners win a cap, why are pro-owner people unwilling to trade some freedom to the PA?
In the end, every GM and owner will have much more parity (in terms of ability to pay), so let's loosen the reigns on free agency a bit ...

A Good Flying Bird*

Jaded-Fan said:
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out Sid . . .

Good Lord.
Here's a kid who's worked hard all his life. He's one of the most talented hockey playing kids to come up through the ranks in decades.
And he's getting ridiculed by hockey "fans" because he's considering all his bloody options.

Brisson is doing his damn job.
He knows that it's likely that Crosby's earning potential will be diminished in the the new CBA.
He realizes that some form of salary cap is on the horizon.
So he's saying this to the NHL:
"Look, you want this kid to come in and take this league on his shoulders? Fine. Pay him what he's worth. You're getting a salary cap which will likely prevent him from earning the monstrous sums collected by Yashin. In return, we'd like you to give us the ability to earn a bit more up front. If you get a team cap, there is little need for a rookie cap. At least lessen the restraints. Do so, and my client will gladly be the NHL's next poster boy. If not, we will consider our options."

Limited as Crosby's options may be, the chance to make $2M tax free in Russia has to be considered.
Granted, he'll lose far more than he gains by losing endorsement deals.

But Brisson letting the NHL know that his client will not be exploited.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
FrozenPond said:
If you’ve ever wondered why some fans don’t like seeing the best young players in the game go to weak, unappreciative markets, then just re-read your post. The answer is staring you in the face. :shakehead

He’s a 17-year-old kid, and you don’t like something his agent said. Well boo-hoo.

What do you want me to say? . . . 'oh no Sid god no, pleeeeaase reconsider and listen to the pleas of an unworthy such as me.' I will give him the benefit of the doubt until this actually plays out, but if he really does pull that crap, fine, whoever holds his rights will still hold them when he returns, if he returns. Same rookie cap figures. Nothing against his talent, but T.O has all the talent in the world in the NFL and is quickly wearing out his welcome on two places now. If that truly does turn out to be Sids' attitude I stand by my original statement. Don't let the door his your a$$ on the way out. And I will further say that again if this turns out to be so then he will never come close to any of the greats, his attitude will get in the way.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Newsguyone said:
Good Lord.
Here's a kid who's worked hard all his life. He's one of the most talented hockey playing kids to come up through the ranks in decades.
And he's getting ridiculed by hockey "fans" because he's considering all his bloody options.

Brisson is doing his damn job.
He knows that it's likely that Crosby's earning potential will be diminished in the the new CBA.
He realizes that some form of salary cap is on the horizon.
So he's saying this to the NHL:
"Look, you want this kid to come in and take this league on his shoulders? Fine. Pay him what he's worth. You're getting a salary cap which will likely prevent him from earning the monstrous sums collected by Yashin. In return, we'd like you to give us the ability to earn a bit more up front. If you get a team cap, there is little need for a rookie cap. At least lessen the restraints. Do so, and my client will gladly be the NHL's next poster boy. If not, we will consider our options."

Limited as Crosby's options may be, the chance to make $2M tax free in Russia has to be considered.
Granted, he'll lose far more than he gains by losing endorsement deals.

But Brisson letting the NHL know that his client will not be exploited.

Pat Brisson and Crosby have absolutely no pull whatsoever on the NHL, once again the epic-sized Crosby hype machine is running at full-power(beyond operational limits).

And what if Crosby just wants to play for his favourite team(Montreal) and a chance to win the Stanley Cup? Where in Europe or Russia can Crosby find such things?

Shouldering the NHL can not be done by one person and anyone who says/thinks that someone is capable of doing such a thing is a fool.

Since there are already God-like comparisons to Crosby’s untested/proven abilities it would only make sense for Crosby to wear the NHL Cross much like a man with the initials of JC supposably did thousands of years ago.

Let me get this straight, Brisson does not want Crosby to be exploited, yet he takes in a % of his clients salary?

Unless Crosby provides a retraction to his agents statements many will view it as coming directly from the horses mouth.

My Crosby comparison is not to a God, rather a piece of meat being sold to the highest bidder(Mad-Cow-Disease might be a side-effect if Crosby can not control his own life)

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Honestly, how naive are some fans here. If I was in his position, I'd seek employment wherever it offered me the most money for my services. This isn't aberrant behaviour. It happens all the time in all professions...let alone sports. I bet anyone who's chiding Crosby now would be singing a different tune if they're in his shoes. Moreover, with a stringent entry level cap, it was to be expected. No longer will you have all of the best players wanting to play in the NHL when they could make more money in Europe (or make a similar amount in their home country).

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
No longer will you have all of the best players wanting to play in the NHL when they could make more money in Europe (or make a similar amount in their home country).
And when will that be? If this year proved nothing else, it proved that the going rate for hockey players is about 1/4th to 1/3rd of what they were getting paid in the NHL. Even if NHL salaries were cut in half, players would still make more playing in the NHL than anywhere else.

Now you can make a good case that a rookie cap is not fair. But the NHLPA has been more than willing to sell rookies down the river in the past, and they will probably do so again. So there is a chance that a rookie could make more money playing in Europe than in the NHL the first couple of years...but, after that...what is he going to do? Come back the the NHL as a rookie? Or continue to make less money in Europe than he would have as a NHL veteran?

Bluntly, at this point in time, there is no high paying alternative to the NHL...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
futurcorerock said:
Believe it or not the NHL is rather foreign outside of NA. I think I read somewhere in an Ovechkin interview that in Russia, alone, they only recieve one select NHL game a week. Granted that seems about on-par with the last NHL season, but also they lack an on-demand NHL network... so what they see is what they get.

Good point to address though - Sidney Crosby's hype machine may be running rampant through the Canadian media, and creating a curious buzz in America, what's it like overseas?

NHL rights in the Nordic countries are owned by Canal+, which means that you'd have to first buy a digital receiver (only about a quarter (500 000 plus) of Finns have one) and subscribe to Canal+ (27€ a month in Finland). Average hockey fans are not going to do that. Then again, Canal+ now have the right for SM-liiga as well.

As for Crosby coverage, other than an article or two during the WJC and this recent Reebok deal, there's been nothing on Finnish papers.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
jericholic19 said:
Moreover, with a stringent entry level cap, it was to be expected. No longer will you have all of the best players wanting to play in the NHL when they could make more money in Europe (or make a similar amount in their home country).

What is the "stringent entry level cap," anyway?

Well, there isn't one yet. If memory serves, the league wants something like $850,000 w/limits on bonuses. The PA has agreed to a similar base figure (although I can't remember what it is) with a limit on signing bonus but unlimited incentive bonuses. If the PA gets its way, Crosby would be eligible to make millions upon millions of dollars.

It's pretty simple. If Crosby wants to play for the Stanley Cup, he'll choose to remain here and make roughly $1M to, oh, $2M, depending on the bonus situation (just a rough guess). If he's looking for the highest paying job, he may try to find one in Europe, but I doubt he'll land one making that much, the average NHLer was only getting around $250K during the lockout. But, be that as it may, the kid should play where he wants. If he doesn't want to play in the NHL, he shouldn't. Simple as that.

I think the bottom line is people are only upset he's thinking about going to Europe because they have hopes he'd play for their team instead. If the draft situation was already settled, I have a feeling fans of the teams that had no shot at drafting the kid wouldn't give two hoots about where he plays.

The amount of pressure being put on this boy is beyond belief. I feel sorry for him if he doesn't live up to the hype.

SENSible1*

I have no problem with any hockey player establishing their maximum pay as established by the market for their skills.

If Sid can make more in Europe, but wants to play in NA then perhaps he should get his agent to make his case with Goodenow for a loosening of the entry level cap. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly confident the NHL would be willing to ensure they are the highest paying league for players in all age categories.

In reality, this is just another example of the agents trying to ramp up the pressure on the NHL in the coming negotiations. It appears we may be finally at the end game and both sides may be getting down to business.

In this particular case, this is a threat and a hollow one at that. Sidney may be able to squeeze out a few extra dollars in his first contract, but will lose out over the course of his first 5 years. Still, I'm sure the NHL would rather have the best young players from all countries plying their trade in the NHL, so they'll make the adjustments until they ensure that occurs.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Thunderstruck said:
I have no problem with any hockey player establishing their maximum pay as established by the market for their skills.

Bingo.

Thunderstruck said:
If Sid can make more in Europe, but wants to play in NA then perhaps he should get his agent to make his case with Goodenow for a loosening of the entry level cap. I may be wrong, but I'm fairly confident the NHL would be willing to ensure they are the highest paying league for players in all age categories.

That's part of the agents job. The only way the NHL can be considered the best is if they offer the best deals.

Thunderstuck said:
In reality, this is just another example of the agents trying to ramp up the pressure on the NHL in the coming negotiations. It appears we may be finally at the end game and both sides may be getting down to business.

In this particular case, this is a threat and a hollow one at that. Sidney may be able to squeeze out a few extra dollars in his first contract, but will lose out over the course of his first 5 years. Still, I'm sure the NHL would rather have the best young players from all countries plying their trade in the NHL, so they'll make the adjustments until they ensure that occurs.

Everybody has been calling on agents to put some pressure on these negotiations and now the agent of the NHL's future star is putting pressure on.

Like you said, it's an empty threat but with enough detail it can't be treated as empty.

SENSible1*

Schlep Rock said:
Everybody has been calling on agents to put some pressure on these negotiations and now the agent of the NHL's future star is putting pressure on.

I have no problem with Brisson getting involved and raising the issue. I do think that he should be mentioning BOTH parties that agree to the entry level system when he applies his pressure.

Unfortunately, his hands are tied by the fact that Goodenow controls his ability to make a living, so he only mentions half of the equation.

Like you said, it's an empty threat but with enough detail it can't be treated as empty.

I can't see a scenario where Sidney plays in Europe for the 1st two years of his career. I can see a scenario where a top ranked European prospect chooses to do so in years 4-6 of the CBA in hopes of a more favourable entry level system to come.

The NHL and NHLPA need to devise a solution that allows for this not to happen.

Personally I favour a entry level cap with a strict cap on signing bonus, but high standard league wide performance bonuses. If Crosby, or any rookie, comes in and puts up all-star numbers and performance, then they should be rewarded accordingly.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Thunderstruck said:
I have no problem with Brisson getting involved and raising the issue. I do think that he should be mentioning BOTH parties that agree to the entry level system when he applies his pressure.

Unfortunately, his hands are tied by the fact that Goodenow controls his ability to make a living, so he only mentions half of the equation.

I can't see a scenario where Sidney plays in Europe for the 1st two years of his career. I can see a scenario where a top ranked European prospect chooses to do so in years 4-6 of the CBA in hopes of a more favourable entry level system to come.

The NHL and NHLPA need to devise a solution that allows for this not to happen.

Personally I favour a entry level cap with a strict cap on signing bonus, but high standard league wide performance bonuses. If Crosby, or any rookie, comes in and puts up all-star numbers and performance, then they should be rewarded accordingly.

There will almost certainly be an entry level cap for this simple reason: the young guys have very little voice in the NHLPA and those entering the NHL have no voice. The guys voting on this and involved in the negotiations are veterans and they aren't necessarily throwing the rookies under the bus but they want as much as possible.

THAT's why there will be a rookie cap. With that being said, I've always been for a more structured bonus system that is utilized more often. Why not STANDARD bonuses for everything (example, 20 goals = add'l $150,000, etc.) and have the agent & GM simply negotiate which bonuses the player can have in his contract. The performance bonuses shouldn't (and likely won't) be included in the cap figure (signing bonuses likely will).

SENSible1*

Schlep Rock said:
There will almost certainly be an entry level cap for this simple reason: the young guys have very little voice in the NHLPA and those entering the NHL have no voice. The guys voting on this and involved in the negotiations are veterans and they aren't necessarily throwing the rookies under the bus but they want as much as possible.

THAT's why there will be a rookie cap. With that being said, I've always been for a more structured bonus system that is utilized more often. Why not STANDARD bonuses for everything (example, 20 goals = add'l $150,000, etc.) and have the agent & GM simply negotiate which bonuses the player can have in his contract. The performance bonuses shouldn't (and likely won't) be included in the cap figure (signing bonuses likely will).

Agreed.

Perfomance bonuses shouldn't count against the cap, but will count towards player costs if the next CBA contains direct linkage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad