New CBA has Crosby considering Europe instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
I find it kind of silly that people are flaming Sidney for something his agent says. I can't see him going to europe based on a hunch of his agent's that he might make a bit more money... The dream of every hockey player in canada is to play in front of huge crowds in the best league in the world, not to make a little bit more money in some european country where they speak a totally different language and have a completely different culture.

Until I hear Crosby mention something about playing in Europe instead of the NHL himself, I will think this is just his agent trying to create a stir.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Epsilon said:
Good post shakes. It's becoming abundantly clear that many of these whiners want nothing less than the players to forfeit all their rights. If you are a talented hockey player, then it is your duty to play in the NHL, under terms dictated by the owners, for the purpose of providing entertainment to people who could not care less about you.

Frankly, if Crosby wants to play in Europe, where he may get more money and will encounter some real culture, then all power to him.
What happens if your team drafts him?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
futurcorerock said:

Then hopefully he will want to sign with them. If that's not the career path he's interested in then I don't fault him at all.

Following the logic of the posters here, I should have stayed in Canada to go to school rather than jumping at a big money offer from a U.S. university.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Personally, I could care less if Crosby wants to start his career in Europe. It's his life, not ours.

That being said, you can be sure that his career will end in the NHL barring injury. There's no damn way he'll stay there for any length of time.

Besides, what Euro team would consider it money well spent to give an 18 year old kid 1.5 to 2 million per year? A select few teams in Russia could certainly do it for sure, but I'll tell you one thing...if I were Crosby, and Brisson was advising me to spend a minimum of 1 year in Russia, playing in AHL-quality arenas, with nebulous contract guarantees and substandard medical staff and perks in a foreign country far different than the one I grew up in...he had better be getting me a damn gold mine NHL deal as my payoff. If not, what the heck was the point? Oh, and he'd be SO fired.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Has anyone here stopped to think that this is just brisson trying to
influence the CBA.Why else do these guy's get themselves quoted?

mytor4*

let who ever wants to go to europe go.we will do just fine without those gold-diggers.in time they will come crawling back.

mooseOAK*

jwr38 said:
um ... you know that hockey here in Europe is well liked and people follow players too. Do you really think only people in America spend money on reebok?

Little exposure .. I think not ... little exposure for him in America, yes ... but there is more to the world than ........ America :rant: :madfire:
Okay, if in the unlikely event it was Reebok's goal to push their new line of hockey equipment in Europe then why would they use a Canadian? And one that doesn't have an international name yet?

Crosby's agent just got the call to shut the h*** up and this is the last that we will hear about it.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Gawd, what a freakin' whiner this kid is.

"My jersey got stolen! Waaah!! :cry: "

"I'm too TIRED to play in Vancouver! Waaah!! :cry: "

"Millions of dollars to play in the NHL isn't enough! Waaah!! :cry: "

It'd be just my luck that we actually win the draft lottery, and be stuck with this damn prima donna.

Anyone else Find it odd that someone Named "Peca Fan" would complain about Sid wanting (possibly) to play where he could make the most money? Did the whole hold out on Buffalo for a year, get traded to the Isles thing go completely unnoticed by you?:sarcasm:

Let Sidney play where he may. After all, as has been said before, there is a free market for Hockey pro's under the NHL's proposed cap system. If they want they could play in Europe. I, for one, would find great humor in the NHL getting thier way with a cap, only to see young stars head overseas to play.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
Well if luxury boxes, parking and other things are hockey revenues why aren't endorsements, hockey cards, EA sports and other player only revenue ALSO put toward the NHL revenue stream that should be divied up?

mytor4*

gerbilanium

Posts: 119 Well if luxury boxes, parking and other things are hockey revenues why aren't endorsements, hockey cards, EA sports and other player only revenue ALSO put toward the NHL revenue stream that should be divied up?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------give that man a cigar. he hit it right on the nose,players only want ,--not give

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I really think this is a pretty hollow threat.

Outside of the insane Khazak 500th aniversary owner (sorry, Sidney, you just missed it by one year) how much could SC realisticly expect to get in Europe - $2M maybe, probably less.

How much can he expect to get eventually in the NHL - $4M, $5M, $6M, ....

The only path to that pot at the end of the rainbow is through the NHL ELS, unless he wants to forgo that big payday for 7 yrs - 25 yo.

You can probably expect the age ranges for the ELS system in a new CBA to be similar to the last one - although the cap may be less and the bonus loophole gone.

First Contract Signing Age / Period Covered by First Contract and Years in the Entry Level System and Subject to Compensation Limits
18-21 - 3 years
22-23 - 2 years
24 - 1 year
25 and older - No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on Compensation
So if he wants to wait until he is no longer affected by the ELS, he will have given up 7 yrs - 3 ELS / 2 RFA (no arbitration) / 2 RFA (arbitration eligible). Do you really think his total earnings in Europe over those 7 yrs would be greater than in the NHL (including the 4 RFA yrs)? Not to mention his salary going forward from being a potential NHL super star (as everyone seems to expect) vs being the elusive "Best Player in the World Not Playing in the NHL". And just think what he does to his Salary potential if he goes over to Europe and does not excel - when he's no longer the hot flavor of the month.

And remember, even if he does go and play in Europe for however long, the team that drafted him will still hold his rights as a "defected player", so he will still come back as an RFA with no arbitration rights - not necessarily the key to a big initial payday, especially if you've pissed off that team (and the league in general) in the process.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
futurcorerock said:

hold onto his rights until he's ready to play in the nhl.he'll be developing in a competitive euro men's league.

and hope that he doesn't get the lucrative endorsements in europe that his agents probably expected from NA companies.

Otter

Forgive me if this has already been posted or if it is stupid but....

Won't European leagues start paying less if the NHL does? (using the NHL's arguments as a basis for negotiations....as in, "the NHL won't even pay you that!")

I guess he might get a bunch of money but I think eventually teams over there will reduce payroll in proportion to what has been done in the big league so I can't see this becoming a problem for other players down the line.

:sarcasm: (never noticed this little dude and just tacked him on there for fun)

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
kdb209 said:
And just think what he does to his Salary potential if he goes over to Europe and does not excel - when he's no longer the hot flavor of the month.
Then he's made the smart move. If he's not the player advertised, it makes sense to get as many dollars up front as possible.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Otter said:
Forgive me if this has already been posted or if it is stupid but....

Won't European leagues start paying less if the NHL does? (using the NHL's arguments as a basis for negotiations....as in, "the NHL won't even pay you that!")

I guess he might get a bunch of money but I think eventually teams over there will reduce payroll in proportion to what has been done in the big league so I can't see this becoming a problem for other players down the line.

:sarcasm: (never noticed this little dude and just tacked him on there for fun)

Probably just a bluff. It's one thing to holdout on an individual team who, history has shown, will eventually cave.

However, a mutually-agreed upon (NHL and NHLPA) starting-salary structure in a 6 year CBA is not really something you can "hold out" against. It's pointless.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Epsilon said:
Following the logic of the posters here, I should have stayed in Canada to go to school rather than jumping at a big money offer from a U.S. university.

Actually, you've got it backwards. The proper analogy would be turning down the prestigious US school, in order to go to some backwater school somewhere. Or turning down work in Hollywood, to go work in the Prague revival of Ernest Saves Christmas because they're offering higher pay.

Making more money short term does not mean it's a better career move.

Tiki said:
Anyone else Find it odd that someone Named "Peca Fan" would complain about Sid wanting (possibly) to play where he could make the most money? Did the whole hold out on Buffalo for a year, get traded to the Isles thing go completely unnoticed by you?:sarcasm:

Oh gosh, he insulted my favourite player, whatever shall I do? :shakehead

Yes, Peca was a putz for pulling that move. Just like Crosby and Friends are being putz's now.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
This idea is dumber than dirt.

Sid...lemme introduce you to Peter-I-got-clubbed-in Europe Forseberg and Scott so-much-for-that-hip Gomez.

Now just sign here and everything will be OK...

He can make more money here in 1 season (with endorsements) than he can in 3 years there. If he's here and gets hurt, he's still wealthy. If he's there then he can say adios to a whole boatload of potential money.

Just wait for the game to get going and shut up.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
R0CKET said:
This idea is dumber than dirt.

Sid...lemme introduce you to Peter-I-got-clubbed-in Europe Forseberg and Scott so-much-for-that-hip Gomez.

Now just sign here and everything will be OK...

He can make more money here in 1 season (with endorsements) than he can in 3 years there. If he's here and gets hurt, he's still wealthy. If he's there then he can say adios to a whole boatload of potential money.

Just wait for the game to get going and shut up.
Again this wasn't Sid's voice... only his agents. There have been player agents who have been AGAINST the will of their employers, like Alan Eagleson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
E = CH² said:
Did anyone who replied in this thread actually read the whole thing ?

they don't just want the cba settled.Crosby and his reps want the nhl to change it's rookie contract proposal.

foxsports.com

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3572502

If the NHL lockout stretches into next season, Sidney Crosby may take his considerable skills overseas.

A negotiated settlement between the NHL and the NHLPA on a new collective bargaining agreement may not be the deciding factor for Crosby's destination next year. If the new CBA limits his ablility to make money with an entry-level contract, Crosby could opt to play for a lot more money in Europe.

The NHL and the union have said those bonuses will be limited in the next CBA, but Brisson told the Times it would be in the interest of the league to allow achievement bonuses for high-performing rookies who would be gate attractions in a sport seeking to rebuild a damaged image. If he does opt to play in Europe for a higher base salary, Brisson said, "He's going to sell out the rinks wherever he plays."

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Epsilon said:
Frankly, if Crosby wants to play in Europe, where he may get more money and will encounter some real culture, then all power to him.

The only leagues where he good get over a million dollars paycheck are probablt the Russian and Swiss leagues. And neither league would help him develope his game. In Russia he'd have too much trouble with language, unless his teams coach was a non-Russian. The Finnish league would probably help him develop his skills most, as the playing style is closest to NA, but the highest paid players in Finland have gotten app. over 200 000€ for a season.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
slats432 said:
As an owner supporter, for much of this thing, if there is a max cap of X dollars and a team what is the point of an entry level cap?

exactly.

look at it from the other side. if you are the NHLPA and you've reached the point where you are negotiating some for of salary restriction by team the last thing you want as a veteran -- read as already member of the NHLPA -- is the ability for some unproven hotshot to get a big payday and eat money out of your pocket.

so, the NHLPA should be the group most supportive of rookie restrictions in this situation.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Jussi said:
Ha, he sure as hell wouldn't in Finland. If Saku Koivu didn't, then why the hell would an 18 year old Canadian kid average hockey fans haven't even heard of?
Great point there...

Believe it or not the NHL is rather foreign outside of NA. I think I read somewhere in an Ovechkin interview that in Russia, alone, they only recieve one select NHL game a week. Granted that seems about on-par with the last NHL season, but also they lack an on-demand NHL network... so what they see is what they get.

Good point to address though - Sidney Crosby's hype machine may be running rampant through the Canadian media, and creating a curious buzz in America, what's it like overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->