Player Discussion New Captain- Nick Suzuki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah but with everything surrounding Guy's passing he should've gotten the question easily. I guess I could chalk it up to being nervous on live TV.
It's a bit surprising that he didn't know, for sure. At least he didn't go full Jonathan Bernier. I still want to die every time I see that clip about Nelson Mandela

Reactions: puckeater

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Half the planet learns more than one language either organically or out of necessity.

I really don't understand the obsession with trying to turn non francophone players into francophones.

While it seems like a softball question for most of us we have to remember Suzuki is 20 years younger than I am, at least, and didn't grow up as a Habs fan.

It would be like asking me to recognize a player who played in the 50s for the Leafs.
If you'd play for Real for years, wouldn't you pick up some spanish? Why is this controversial lol? He's not forced in any way, but it's also not like it's this herculean task to speak street-level french when you live almost everyday in a french place.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If you'd play for Real for years, wouldn't you pick up some spanish? Why is this controversial lol? He's not forced in any way, but it's also not like it's this herculean task to speak street-level french when you live almost everyday in a french place.
How much French did carey price speak after 17 years? How about pk after 9?

You're right, it shouldn't be seen as some herculean task. It shouldn't even be discussed at all. It's not important for Suzuki to learn French, other than being able to politely ask people in the service industry (or perhaps the media) to speak English.

Reactions: cphabs

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
How much French did carey price speak after 17 years? How about pk after 9?

You're right, it shouldn't be seen as some herculean task. It shouldn't even be discussed at all. It's not important for Suzuki to learn French, other than being able to politely ask people in the service industry (or perhaps the media) to speak English.
Actually PK did some interview in a basic french and some speeches in french at the hospital. I am pretty sure a lot of players knows more french than we know but they are kinda shy to show too much because they don’t want to do 2 interviews after the game

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Actually PK did some interview in a basic french and some speeches in french at the hospital. I am pretty sure a lot of players knows more french than we know but they are kinda shy to show too much because they don’t want to do 2 interviews after the game

This might be the case, although I never understood why they would be shy. People would appreciate the effort and not mind if the flow or choice of words is not perfect.

Hell, I often joked that Bergevin and Therrien dis not speak proper french either !!

• Haha
Reactions: Maitz

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
I can't believe that politicians would actually say that a kid should learn french because he is the new captain. They should have more important priorities than discussing what is happening with an NHL team.
Like the 8,000 people who died in Quebec seniors’ residences of COVID while Legault continues to make the same policy mistakes he made in the first wave? Nah, let’s talk about the languages Nick Suzuki should speak.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
So do they want a captain who can speak french or who can play hockey ? If so Gabriel Nadeau Dubois can be captain

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The language stuff is embarassing but then I realise most of the people crying about it did not grow up in Montreal.

Put a team in Quebec and rid us of this nonsense god please

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Wearing the C ain't what it used to be, mostly ceremonial and lead media mouth. If you aren't comfortable with any of that why accept it? So we know he knows what he's getting himself in to. My hats off but don't expect much of it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I worked in Hong Kong for 4 years and I didn't pick up Cantonese outside a few words here and there.
It really boils down to your direct surroundings and place of work.
Hockey language is english. Martin St-Louis is not talking to his team in french. When him and Hughes are making a speech in the locker room, it ain't done in french.
When guys talk to each other, it's in english.

So he can go home and spend an hour or two, maybe twice per week, practicing french with a tutor, but then he's gonna go out with Caufield, Gallagher, and the likes, and they're going to talk in english.
He's going shopping downtown or in dix-30, he's going to exchange in english. Restaurant in the old port? English. etc..etc.. etc..

So ya in theory, you're right...shouldn't be hard. In practice though, from having moved to places with a different native language, it's not as simple as you think.
It's only when you really don't have much of a choice to learn the language that it becomes easier. If they only spoke french inside the lockers, if the league was in french, if very few people spoke english in Mtl, that would be easier to pick up. But given the current language environnment, it ain't as easy as many think.

Also want to point out, learning spanish is way easier than french.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like the 8,000 people who died in Quebec seniors’ residences of COVID while Legault continues to make the same policy mistakes he made in the first wave? Nah, let’s talk about the languages Nick Suzuki should speak.
Can we please leave the stench of politics out of what are supposed to be hockey threads on this forum?

Petty divisiveness, demagoguery, cultural identity affirmations or whatever, do nothing in defining what Suzuki’s captaincy means or the good it could bring.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Black people tends to learn and speak french. French is spoken a lot in Africa and also in some carrabean countries. Serena Williams speaks french. I saw PK speaking french with Serena one time.

Reactions: Maitz

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This might be the case, although I never understood why they would be shy. People would appreciate the effort and not mind if the flow or choice of words is not perfect.

Hell, I often joked that Bergevin and Therrien did not speak proper french either !!
We should start saying quebecois french the same as we say creole. The french spoken by Bergevin or Therrien need subtitles in France, no joke. And also to mention french of France laught of that accent. A french who emigrate here need 6 months to adapt. It's like comparing the cockney accent of UK vs the southern accent of usa. Sometimes I wonder if they speak the same language and if they can understand each other.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Can we please leave the stench of politics out of what are supposed to be hockey threads on this forum?

Petty divisiveness, demagoguery, cultural identity affirmations or whatever, do nothing in defining what Suzuki’s captaincy means or the good it could bring.
The post you quote should be deleted. This goes way out of topic, it's hatred toward a politician who had to deal with something new. Who decided to close the borders like 2 months too late with the NY State? That state where the covid started the epicenter of covid in N America? There was 2000 visitors from China and european countries entering every day at Trudeau Airport in Montreal in the first pandemic wave. Who control the borders?

Yeah yeah, better avoid talking about politics. It divide people and we can read more ignorance than anything else.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Drouin is done here, everybody knows it. He had mental issues you should know it. Leave him alone. That's a bad taste sarcasm.
You may mention David Savard and I wouldn't be sure if that's sarcasm.
Disagree. Drouin for captain would please media and politicians.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So do they want a captain who can speak french or who can play hockey ? If so Gabriel Nadeau Dubois can be captain
All the political leaders said the captain should speak french, including Dominique Anglade. GND have the arrogance of a young winner and we can expect quotes with a punch, that's his style. Duhaime can say things that makes us fall of our chairs too.

edit. The political leaders are trying to win points here and there. They should leave sport alone, sport should be a refuge of the politics.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A smart young man very cognizant of the culture he is in and I predict he will be able to speak French in the future. It seems to matter to him.
You're captain for 8 years (and not named Koivu) -- It should give you enough time to actually learn and speak French publicly, to whatever degree you have become fluent or not.

Koivu could speak French (he did with his wife, by all accounts) but refused to do interviews in that language (pride? Fear his thoughts would be misinterpreted?)

It's all to Suzuki's best interests to learn Molière's language, if only for the plethora of advertisement deals he will be able to make in Montreal.

Learning French can pay off more than just culturally for Suzuki.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The post you quote should be deleted. This goes way out of topic, it's hatred toward a politician who had to deal with something new. Who decided to close the borders like 2 months too late with the NY State? That state where the covid started the epicenter of covid in N America? There was 2000 visitors from China and european countries entering every day at Trudeau Airport in Montreal in the first pandemic wave. Who control the borders?

Yeah yeah, better avoid talking about politics. It divide people and we can read more ignorance than anything else.
I don’t care about any politician on this forum, whether they needed to face something new or not.

It’s not about being for or against anyone, I just believe that these kind of discussions always end up in petty argumentation swallowed up by a bottomless toxic gutter.

I read forums like this to escape that stuff (which is more than actively and adequately covered elsewhere).

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Actually maybe out of the 500 people I know here in Ontario, one speaks it if that. But yes, half the planet.

So you’re bragging about not being able to learn a second language like half the planet?

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Half the planet learns more than one language either organically or out of necessity.

I really don't understand the obsession with trying to turn non francophone players into francophones.

No one is obsessed with it more than the 3 or 4 media guy asking these questions and the anglos blowing a gasket when those questions are asked.

I’ve said it before, this « language » debate is mainly fueled by the people who keeps talking about it. It brings TONS of clicks on the medias’ websites, why would they stop talking about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad