OT: New Board -- How Do I...?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The last update completely wiped out my GDT sign-up thread. Wow. Not that anyone was signing up.

I'm not good enough with code to just figure out how to modify everything especially with how a lot of these features are automatic. I honestly don't even know how to do all the threads I used to. I can't do the prospect polls how I used to either. I'm not creating an entirely new table each time. It's depressing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well one thing's for sure--they upped the strength of the ads on these pages.

Ads on the desktop and mobile browser are obnoxious. I really dislike this economy of advertisements eating up space or popping into view for websites.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm counting about three that made it past my ad blocker. So far none have come up in the last 40 minutes or so but...
I just corrected that a moment ago, I was trying to give HFB a chance without default removing them all. But it's testing my patience. Too bad my phone can't do that. If I see one more Yahtzee download suggestion I may just be compelled to download it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just corrected that a moment ago, I was trying to give HFB a chance without default removing them all. But it's testing my patience. Too bad my phone can't do that. If I see one more Yahtzee download suggestion I may just be compelled to download it.

Well that's the idea! :laugh:

And I spoke too soon. Just had to block another one again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Usually ads don't get past Ublock origin but these are probably the most aggressive ads I've ever seen. I now have disabled all video playback from this domain. We'll see.

Reactions: Lonewolfe2015

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Usually ads don't get past Ublock origin but these are probably the most aggressive ads I've ever seen. I now have disabled all video playback from this domain. We'll see.
They just won't go away. Block them a dozen times they come back. What a load of crap, nearly naked woman on the screen advertising "TV Guide" now.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sorry, I can't try to replicate your issue since I have sponsorship permissions when logged in blocking ads, but are you still seeing them with the Origin Extra companion extension installed too?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So the Stylish plugin for Chrome, using the Holocene (Allison Skurat) theme puts a border around each post, and the timestamp in the upper left corner of said border, above the avatars. Adding the HF Boards Dark Theme (YesCubed) kills all the brightness. HFBoards Classic is very similar to Holocene, by does not have a space between posts. Order of application matters, so if you want the borders and dark, apply Dark Theme first, then Holocene (or Classic).

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
ADS are so aggressive that they manage to bypass UBlock Origin + the Ublock Origin Extra companion + Ghostery all working together. About 30%-40% of the time the AD on top of the page will still show up. Unbelievable.

I've never seen anything like that before.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The most annoying part of this is that they didn't do a URL redirect. The old Avs board URL doesn't take you to the avs forum. It goes to the default list.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What I meant is that I am seeing no ads. None. My AdBlock is working perfectly. It reports that it blocked 2 on this page this time around.
Everytime I block ads they come back and I get logged out occasionally for trying.

Also, if HFB wasn't being so pervasive with this I'd actually considering sponsorship. Nagging me and being a pain makes me want to fight it more than help. It's a joke, at least 3-4 ads per page load and some definitely less safe for work ones than should show up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad