OT: New Board -- How Do I...?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm getting those intrusive ads through my uBlock now. If that continues I will stop using this website.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
You guys must have something else going on to be getting those ads. All I've got running are uBlock and Ghostery on Chrome and I've seen nothing since the inception. Though I don't doubt the ads are intrusive. The mobile version has some relatively large ads going on. Have been tempted to go back to the Ghostery browser on my phone as a result.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I don't know what you guys are doing to get those ads, if I log out and turn off my adblocker it's only a few small ones on the side.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Yeah I have no idea why they started showing up for me. The fact that they are getting through my uBlock makes me think some kind of malware. I'll dig into it more when I get another one and can find the source.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe this was asked, or maybe its just my computer, but why is it so zoomed in on the computer? I can't even see full posts and whats with the massive white side border?

Really like the changes on mobile though.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I'm getting those intrusive ads through my uBlock now. If that continues I will stop using this website.
Me too. And they seem to grow the longer you are on the site. My adblock just showed 511 blocked ads (it now shows 6, but all the ads are still appearing), and I still had ads on the sidebar. It is f***ing ridiculous. And it continually loads. My typing freezes. I am using chrome on a new macbook pro. Whatever they have going on is ridiculous. Between this, and the horse vomit team I chose to follow I really can't see doing this much longer. LOL.

I have been using adblock, will try the other. Working now, thanks.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I just spent an hour browsing here with AdBlock paused. Not a single ad. I did not even realize it was paused (from earlier when I wanted to read an article from a paper that screens adblocked browsers). Until I came back to this thread and went to check how many ads were blocked...none, paused. And none anywhere on the page. Chrome 61.0.3163.100 on Win7HP SP1

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Anyone having issues with gifs/tweets not showing 100%? I'm using chrome as well, but gifs only show the top 1/3 of the box with no option to expand it.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Random Gif...

Seems to work for me...

HTTP3ZpZ25ldHRlMy53aWtpYS5ub2Nvb2tpZS5uZXQvZGlzbmV5Y3JlYXRlL2ltYWdlcy81LzU5L1JhbmRvbS1HaWYtcmFuZG9tLTIyNDgxMjgxLTI0MC0yMTEuZ2lmL3JldmlzaW9uL2xhdGVzdD9jYj0yMDEzMTIxMjIzNTM1OAloglog.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I figured out why I couldn't edit posts. In my eagerness to disable all the alerts and automatic watching of threads (whatever that means) I unselected Use the rich text editor to create and edit posts and that for some reason made my browser just freeze when trying to edit posts.

edit: testing if Gfycat gifs still work.

[gfy]IndolentMenacingGrayreefshark[/gfy]

edit 2:

Ah. Just post the full link and some wizard makes it happen automagically.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What HF (or any forum on the internet) needed was making all media automatically embeddable. Can't have big avatars because it makes the site slow for mobile users but sure, throw in twenty youtube embeds a page, that's fine

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Anyone know why this is happening (some gif/tweets only load halfway)? Using chrome:

ehLKshz
ehLKshz

ehLKshz

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The halfway thing comes when vids are on Twitter. The tweets on the forum are one size only so the forum makes the vids fit in there. It needs to be addressed.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Really like the new HF now, however... When on mobile and trying to reply to someone and bold or italic etc what they said is difficult as right where that bar is is also where 'cut/copy/paste' appears for mobile. Any way around this?

Reactions: 5280

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What HF (or any forum on the internet) needed was making all media automatically embeddable. Can't have big avatars because it makes the site slow for mobile users but sure, throw in twenty youtube embeds a page, that's fine
Disabling JavaScript for this domain in your browser should break all ads and embeds, improving response time.
Anyone know why this is happening (some gif/tweets only load halfway)? Using chrome:
Try uBO, not ABP or whatever other filters you're likely using.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Disabling JavaScript for this domain in your browser should break all ads and embeds, improving response time.
Try uBO, not ABP or whatever other filters you're likely using.

uBO, as in uBlock Origin? That's what i'm using right now.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
uBO, as in uBlock Origin? That's what i'm using right now.
I can't break embeds in Chrome on my end, even after enforcing every filter. Double-check that both your browser and filters are updated because it certainly works for me. If that doesn't fix it, see if they're still broken in an incognito window, as that'll suggest it's something other than the ad-blocker.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I can't break embeds in Chrome on my end, even after enforcing every filter. Double-check that both your browser and filters are updated because it certainly works for me. If that doesn't fix it, see if they're still broken in an incognito window, as that'll suggest it's something other than the ad-blocker.

Hm, disabling ad-blocker does seem to do the trick. Going to try purging uBlock's cache to see if that helps.

Edit: Well, I know it's my ad-blocker, but even after clearing the cache and resetting everything to default it still won't load properly.

Edit2: Weird. Incognito mode + no ad-blocker allows the videos to load, but if I switch back to the normal browser + no ad-blocker it still won't load. Tried clearing my whole cache/history and still nadda.

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

thank you! I was getting so frustrated with how ridiculously slow the site loads with all the ads. Ad-block wasn't doing anything. This seems to be working.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The board is 10x better with javascript disabled for this domain. However, we no longer see tweets posted in threads which kinda sucks :(

Small price to pay though...holy crap the new speed and smoothness.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
OMG this site is so much better with Javascript OFF however posting/reply box only has text capability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad