Speculation: New Backup Goalie in Teal

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I thought I read somewhere that the Wild wasn't interested in re-signing Kuemper. Maybe trade for him or sign him to an offer sheet (in the 3rd round comp area)?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought I read somewhere that the Wild wasn't interested in re-signing Kuemper. Maybe trade for him or sign him to an offer sheet (in the 3rd round comp area)?

I would be okay with trading for him, but I honestly don't think they signed Stalock today with the intention of him being the NHL backup. At least not with their other two guys healthy. I would have to think that's an AHL signing, though much stranger things have happened.

I saw Montoya was signed by Montreal. Are Johnson and Enroth both still out there? Ramo too? Ramo just came off injury, I'd be wary of him. Johnson and Enroth are amazingly inconsistent from year to year. One good year, one bad year, repeat. Ramo has been the most consistent of the bunch over the last 3 years. His best certainly hasn't been nearly as good as some of those others, but neither has his worse.

He's consistently been around a 91% goalie the last 3 years, including last season when every goaltender for Calgary was dreadful. At least he played like he had the two seasons prior. Which wasn't that good, but not terrible non-NHL caliber like the rest of the goalies on the team.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
I would be okay with trading for him, but I honestly don't think they signed Stalock today with the intention of him being the NHL backup. At least not with their other two guys healthy. I would have to think that's an AHL signing, though much stranger things have happened.

I saw Montoya was signed by Montreal. Are Johnson and Enroth both still out there? Ramo too? Ramo just came off injury, I'd be wary of him. Johnson and Enroth are amazingly inconsistent from year to year. One good year, one bad year, repeat. Ramo has been the most consistent of the bunch over the last 3 years. His best certainly hasn't been nearly as good as some of those others, but neither has his worse.

He's consistently been around a 91% goalie the last 3 years, including last season when every goaltender for Calgary was dreadful. At least he played like he had the two seasons prior. Which wasn't that good, but not terrible non-NHL caliber like the rest of the goalies on the team.

Johnson signed with the Flames but Enroth is available.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I could live with any one of Ramo or Enroth. Scrivens scares the crap out of me.

The problem is, we have 3m in cap room, and still need to re-sign DeMelo and Nieto. Unless we trade away Wingels and/or Dillon, we've only got room for those two, and don't really have room to also add another goaltender. That means going into the season with Dell as our backup, which makes me very very very very nervous. I can't imagine he'd be worse or even as bad as Stalock was last year, at least. But, I still don't like the idea of going into a season where we're going all-in for the Cup with a completely untested rookie goaltender as our backup, as it has a significant potential for blowing up in our faces and causing big headaches down the road if he costs us winnable games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I could live with any one of Ramo or Enroth. Scrivens scares the crap out of me.

The problem is, we have 3m in cap room, and still need to re-sign DeMelo and Nieto. Unless we trade away Wingels and/or Dillon, we've only got room for those two, and don't really have room to also add another goaltender. That means going into the season with Dell as our backup, which makes me very very very very nervous. I can't imagine he'd be worse or even as bad as Stalock was last year, at least. But, I still don't like the idea of going into a season where we're going all-in for the Cup with a completely untested rookie goaltender as our backup, as it has a significant potential for blowing up in our faces and causing big headaches down the road if he costs us winnable games.

This isn't really true. Nieto's probably going to cost a mil. DeMelo probably only 750k. A backup probably won't even cost a mil. They have the cap space to re-sign the two RFA's and get a backup and likely have about a million left. A trade is not necessary. They may do it for other reasons but it won't be for the cap.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
This isn't really true. Nieto's probably going to cost a mil. DeMelo probably only 750k. A backup probably won't even cost a mil. They have the cap space to re-sign the two RFA's and get a backup and likely have about a million left. A trade is not necessary. They may do it for other reasons but it won't be for the cap.

We have 3 mil, and we haven't signed DeMelo or Nieto yet. You're not going to get a high quality backup at 1m. Expect to spend at least 1.5 if you want someone at least in the Berra class, which is the minimum level of player we should be looking at. Probably more if we end up signing them as a UFA.

Also, I think those numbers are a little low for Nieto and DeMelo. I'd think DeMelo is close to 1m, if not at it, and Nieto will probably be up to 1.25ish or so. I could be completely wrong, obviously, but I doubt they'll both get really small raises instead of something more substantial. (especially with DeMelo, who has already shown he might have top-4 potential).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We have 3 mil, and we haven't signed DeMelo or Nieto yet. You're not going to get a high quality backup at 1m. Expect to spend at least 1.5 if you want someone at least in the Berra class, which is the minimum level of player we should be looking at. Probably more if we end up signing them as a UFA.

Also, I think those numbers are a little low for Nieto and DeMelo. I'd think DeMelo is close to 1m, if not at it, and Nieto will probably be up to 1.25ish or so. I could be completely wrong, obviously, but I doubt they'll both get really small raises instead of something more substantial. (especially with DeMelo, who has already shown he might have top-4 potential).

I honestly don't see any evidence to support any of these claims. Montoya and Zatkoff had high quality backup numbers and both went for less than a mil, much less 1.5. DeMelo hasn't shown top four potential at all and he isn't even a proven regular in the lineup yet. Nieto is coming off a down year and is coming into a situation where he may get squeezed out of the lineup more often than not. That's a prove-it contract anyway. I don't see why you believe they deserve something substantial when last year they didn't really do anything to warrant that.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
DW is probably having trouble getting a backup because they won't be able to pad their stats by playing against the Sharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad