Speculation: New Backup Goalie in Teal

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wish we could have Reimer back and in all honesty, when the Flames got Elliot I thought Reimer would stay with the Sharks as there are no more starting roles. Stars are locked and can't move their garbage tandem and the Hurricanes seem dead set on Ward and Lack for next season for some odd reason. Relating to Enroth, he won't get a starting position either on any team. He's set as a backup goalie in the NHL as of this upcoming season. I'm sure DeBoer would give Enroth more than the 16 starts he had in LA if he shows he's good enough to do so.

The Blues and the Ducks have starting spots available but it's in competition with someone. Blues have Allen and the Ducks have Gibson and neither have really taken the job yet so if those teams are interested, they may throw a prove-it contract to Reimer and give him a shot in hopes that he either takes it or pushes their young goalie.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
The Blues and the Ducks have starting spots available but it's in competition with someone. Blues have Allen and the Ducks have Gibson and neither have really taken the job yet so if those teams are interested, they may throw a prove-it contract to Reimer and give him a shot in hopes that he either takes it or pushes their young goalie.

True, would still be nice to have a stable goaltending tandem in San Jose though. Jones is good but he's likely not going to play around the 20 other regular season games that a backup would need to start. Those points are valuable in a division where bottom feeder teams are beginning to look scary e.g. Flames and possibly the Oilers. Whether its Reimer or whatever other backup is out there, they better be decent lol.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True, would still be nice to have a stable goaltending tandem in San Jose though. Jones is good but he's likely not going to play around the 20 other regular season games that a backup would need to start. Those points are valuable in a division where bottom feeder teams are beginning to look scary e.g. Flames and possibly the Oilers. Whether its Reimer or whatever other backup is out there, they better be decent lol.

I'm not concerned about it. There aren't many spots even for backups to go and there are a handful of ones that can be better than decent. Teams that may need a backup outside of us may include Boston, Buffalo, St. Louis (if they don't want a 1B), Nashville, Anaheim (same as STL), Calgary (since they didn't qualify Ortio), Edmonton, and maybe LA depending on how they see Budaj. So that's at most eight spots with guys like Enroth, Montoya, Reimer, Johnson, Khudobin, Hutton, Zatkoff, Gustavsson, and Ramo all out there.

I don't think anyone needs to be worried about the Flames or Oilers yet. Both have pretty gaping holes in their roster like they did last year at this point. No amount of goaltending is saving them.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I highly doubt Reimer is completely gone. Doug Wilson knows Reimer wants a starting role, and will let him pursue one, but I think DW has a contact on the table for him in case he's OK coming back to SJ for one more year as a backup. That will let Reimer get in 25 or so starts, build some more numbers, and make another run into the playoffs, then can look for a starting role next season when the market might be a little better.

If there is any truth to the rumor that Reimer's agent proposed $6m/yr to the Leafs, even partially, he's not coming back at all. However, I think he's going to be disappointed in the current market conditions if he thinks he's worth that amount.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If there is any truth to the rumor that Reimer's agent proposed $6m/yr to the Leafs, even partially, he's not coming back at all. However, I think he's going to be disappointed in the current market conditions if he thinks he's worth that amount.

There are literally zero teams that would give him that right now. Even those teams where potentially he could be a 1B aren't going to offer anywhere near that much, since they're already spending a lot on their 1A. Not everyone is as insane as Dallas at putting together mega dollar goalie tandems. Plus, I get the sense that both St. Louis and Anaheim want the goalie they kept to be The Guy, and I am not sure I believe that they'd be looking to go back to having goalie controversies by signing a high dollar FA like Reimer @ starter money.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This isn't exactly a worthwhile thing to bring up because even if that were true, it is very likely just a method for him to say that he wanted nothing more to do with Toronto after how he was treated there.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

At the time that was reported Reimer's agent publicly stated that the report was completely false, and was simply not true. So, I take that report with several truckloads of salt.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I wonder how the Stamkos signing will affect the goalie market. Looking at Tampa's roster and the fact that they have some big RFAs to still sign, it doesn't look like they have the cap space they might need. One way to make room would be to move Bishop.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Why on earth would any one want to pay the backup goalie the same as the starting goalie? It makes no sense. After the season jones had to go along with his playoffs, there is 0 chance jones plays less then 55 games with or without reimer as the backup.

So 3 million for a goalie that could be playing any where between 15-30 games (and that 30 is on the very very high end of games).

We have 16 B2B's and a condensed schedule. We need an excellent backup.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Just win a god damn cup. I don't care who makes what. Things look bleak after next year. Get it done now.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
I'm not concerned about it. There aren't many spots even for backups to go and there are a handful of ones that can be better than decent. Teams that may need a backup outside of us may include Boston, Buffalo, St. Louis (if they don't want a 1B), Nashville, Anaheim (same as STL), Calgary (since they didn't qualify Ortio), Edmonton, and maybe LA depending on how they see Budaj. So that's at most eight spots with guys like Enroth, Montoya, Reimer, Johnson, Khudobin, Hutton, Zatkoff, Gustavsson, and Ramo all out there.

I don't think anyone needs to be worried about the Flames or Oilers yet. Both have pretty gaping holes in their roster like they did last year at this point. No amount of goaltending is saving them.

So what your saying is...we can get a decent backup for cheap if we hold out on free agency on the goalie front? I like it:handclap:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So most of the backups are gone.....Enroth is still there lol

Meh.

Guess I'd take my chances on him. Goalies like Enroth, Montoya and Johnson seem to fluctuate from year to year. They'll literally have a bad year, then a good one, then repeat.

Enroth just had a good year, could see him regressing back to a .905 goalie again this year.

Anything but Grosenick. Dude is NOT NHL caliber, he wasn't even AHL caliber in the AHL this past season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well that makes me wonder ''So who did Boston have last year?''

Then I remember it was that clod Gustavsson and uh yeah. That's a huge PASS for me. I didn't even know he was still in the league as of last year until I saw him playing in a game for the Bruins.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well that makes me wonder ''So who did Boston have last year?''

Then I remember it was that clod Gustavsson and uh yeah. That's a huge PASS for me. I didn't even know he was still in the league as of last year until I saw him playing in a game for the Bruins.

Technically, Gustavsson is still in the league since he signed in Edmonton but chances are that that's his last stop.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
now that we have Boedker and need to shed some salary. trade Wingels to Minnesota for Kuemper and call it a summer.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
now that we have Boedker and need to shed some salary. trade Wingels to Minnesota for Kuemper and call it a summer.

Not a bad idea. Though, I'd suggest trading Dillon and re-signing Tennyson as well. I'd much rather run a Schlemko - DeMelo pairing than a Dillon - Schlemko one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Still need to re-sign Nieto and DeMelo but I don't think they need to shed cap space right now if they don't want to.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Still need to re-sign Nieto and DeMelo but I don't think they need to shed cap space right now if they don't want to.

Tennyson too, hopefully. He already proved he's a serviceable callup in case of injury. This is, of course, assuming he's recovered from his concussion by this point. If he's still got concussion-related issues, he may be done, period.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Technically, Gustavsson is still in the league since he signed in Edmonton but chances are that that's his last stop.

I wasn't even aware he signed in Edmonton until I saw your post. Don't like that signing for them, but that means Talbot will be playing a whole lot. I didn't realize before last season that he was still in the league until I saw him playing for Boston.

Don't want Lindback either, he's usually needed wherever the tanking is going on. He usually is signed by whatever team is trying to tank.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
"Although Dell will likely get an opportunity to earn the backup goalie job in camp, Wilson suggested the Sharks could still sign another goalie in free agency.“We don’t give anybody any jobs and there’s still some work ahead of us this summer,” he said." (from Gackle)

Basically I see this as implying they will be in another goalie at some point this offseason. Either signing someone, trading for someone, or inviting one to camp.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Although Dell will likely get an opportunity to earn the backup goalie job in camp, Wilson suggested the Sharks could still sign another goalie in free agency.“We don’t give anybody any jobs and there’s still some work ahead of us this summer,†he said.

Basically I see this as implying they will be in another goalie at some point this offseason. Either signing someone, trading for someone, or inviting one to camp.

I'd be okay with Berra. He's had two good seasons in a row. Colorado traded him to Florida a week or so ago, but it's obvious he won't be playing with the NHL team now, barring any injuries. They just signed Reimer today and have Luongo still.

He wasn't a bad goaltender last year, nor the season before. He was terrible in his rookie year, but since had a couple repeat good years. And there was a mini controversy between him and Varlamov early last year. I don't believe he's as good as Varlamov or anything, but he's worth rolling the dice on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad