Speculation: New Backup Goalie in Teal

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
So, with Reimer not coming back, we obviously need a new back up goalie, and there's been speculation as to the goalies on the FA market. However, there's also a number of backups available via trade; one name that pops up to me is Kristers Gudlevskis in Tampa. He's the number 3 guy and an RFA, his playing style is a really solid and dependable type.

What do you guys think, yes, no, other ideas?

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I highly doubt Reimer is completely gone. Doug Wilson knows Reimer wants a starting role, and will let him pursue one, but I think DW has a contact on the table for him in case he's OK coming back to SJ for one more year as a backup. That will let Reimer get in 25 or so starts, build some more numbers, and make another run into the playoffs, then can look for a starting role next season when the market might be a little better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Al Montoya is who I'd like to bring in if Reimer doesn't want to come back. I think Reimer will pursue his options in St. Louis and Anaheim. I don't want them to trade for a backup. There are plenty of UFA backups that will do the job.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Al Montoya is who I'd like to bring in if Reimer doesn't want to come back. I think Reimer will pursue his options in St. Louis and Anaheim. I don't want them to trade for a backup. There are plenty of UFA backups that will do the job.

I don't think he would be starting in either of those teams either. I feel that he would not mind staying around if he does not get a guaranteed starting job somewhere else.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I really think we need to sign Reimer to a two year deal. We must expose a goalie for the expansion draft and if we can sign him, guarantee him that he'll start 25-30 games I don't see why he wouldn't join. He doesn't have much chance of starting elsewhere and playing for us will keep his stats looking great as well as his chance of winning a cup. This helps his future contract potential and helps us if the Vegas team snatches him as our only loss in the expansion draft.

If he doesn't get taken in the draft then we have 2 years of a great backup goalie.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I really think we need to sign Reimer to a two year deal. We must expose a goalie for the expansion draft and if we can sign him, guarantee him that he'll start 25-30 games I don't see why he wouldn't join. He doesn't have much chance of starting elsewhere and playing for us will keep his stats looking great as well as his chance of winning a cup. This helps his future contract potential and helps us if the Vegas team snatches him as our only loss in the expansion draft.

If he doesn't get taken in the draft then we have 2 years of a great backup goalie.

He would probably be the best goalie available with all things considered, correct?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think he would be starting in either of those teams either. I feel that he would not mind staying around if he does not get a guaranteed starting job somewhere else.

He wouldn't be but it's a better situation for him than being the backup. In St. Louis and Anaheim, he can at least be a 1B and get pretty close to a split of the starts and have the opportunity to run with it. He's not going to get a guaranteed starting job anywhere. He doesn't deserve that really but 1B spots with chances to take over is right up his alley and something he can't get here.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
He would probably be the best goalie available with all things considered, correct?

Yea, I think so, which is why this is a great strategy for the team. Even if we have to pay him the same as Jones for 1 season. It likely prevents us from losing a young talent/top 9 forward.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Teal Steel!

underwear-model-mantas-armalis-sharks-goalie-prospect-entry-level-contract.jpg

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I'm pretty sure there's no requirements on the goalie exposed. There just has to be one. So I think Dell would work.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I'm pretty sure there's no requirements on the goalie exposed. There just has to be one. So I think Dell would work.

You need to expose one goalie who is signed through 17-18. I also highly doubt any expansion team will take Dell so that defeats the purpose of why I'm saying to sign Reimer. We need to dangle him as draft bait. This way we don't risk losing something more valuable to the team.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
You need to expose one goalie who is signed through 17-18. I also highly doubt any expansion team will take Dell so that defeats the purpose of why I'm saying to sign Reimer. We need to dangle him as draft bait. This way we don't risk losing something more valuable to the team.

Just sign Dell or Grosenick to a 2 year deal.

We're more likely to lose Nieto, Karlsson, Martin, Dillon or Demelo anyhow.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

And what if Tampa ends up exposing one of Bishop or Vasilevsky? (probably Bishop). Either one of them would be more attractive to an expansion team than Reimer would, and there's little likelihood they'd take Reimer from us to be their backup over someone like Martin, Ward, Nieto, Dillon, DeMelo, etc. Given his leadership qualities and how good a teammate he is, I could definitely see Ward as Vegas' primary target with us, unless we expose someone unexpected. Every team needs quality veterans like him for sure, so yeah.

I really want Reimer back as our backup, at anything up to 2.5m on a 1 year deal. Then we just need to sign Dell for 2 years or give a 1 year extension to Grosenick (preferably the 1st option), and we have a goalie we can expose to the expansion draft. We don't need to have Reimer on a 2 year deal to do it. Why would he sign such a deal, anyway? It's hardly in his best interests. Maybe it's just me, but I doubt he is really looking at a 1A/1B situation again, after dealing with that in Toronto. I can't imagine that's a good environment to be in, to be honest, so I somewhat doubt he wants to return to such a situation, especially on a long-term deal. So, given that the clubs that definitively needed a starter already got one, I think his best option is to sign a 1-year deal somewhere, and look again next offseason, when the expansion draft won't be a concern for teams, and theoretically the cap goes up some more leading to potentially higher salaries. And, if he's going to do that, why not here, where he knows the team, and hopefully likes them and the area.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Just sign Dell or Grosenick to a 2 year deal.

We're more likely to lose Nieto, Karlsson, Martin, Dillon or Demelo anyhow.

Dell's a UFA - would need 2 year deal to be back up and then expose for expansion draft.

Grosenick still has one year left; so would need 1 year extension. And you would still need a 5th goalie, unless you only want to go with 4.

But Dell is the better goalie. Don't think Grosenick would survive in NHL.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
I'd say Montoya, Hutton or Enroth. Personally, I like Enroth the most out of the three. I feel like he's better than what people think he is.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Khudobin, Gustavsson maybe?

Any decent positional goalies out there that'll eat 20-25 games?

Chad Johnson would be at the top of my list. Montoya would probably be 2nd.

Re: Reimer, I'd LOVE to have him back but I have a really hard time seeing him agree to a cheap 2 year deal w/o protection from the expansion draft. If he doesn't find something that fits him now he may come back on a 1 year deal and see what's out there again next summer.

I'm beginning to wonder if they plan to re-sign Dell.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Chad Johnson would be at the top of my list. Montoya would probably be 2nd.

Re: Reimer, I'd LOVE to have him back but I have a really hard time seeing him agree to a cheap 2 year deal w/o protection from the expansion draft. If he doesn't find something that fits him now he may come back on a 1 year deal and see what's out there again next summer.

I'm beginning to wonder if they plan to re-sign Dell.

Chad Johnson is at the top of my list as well. Also would prefer Reimer over all the other options, though its not likely he re-signs.

All that being said, if they can't land any of the other UFA goalies I'm okay with the team giving Dell a shot at the backup spot as he has done his time and looked great at most of the Barracuda games I saw him in last season.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'd say Montoya, Hutton or Enroth. Personally, I like Enroth the most out of the three. I feel like he's better than what people think he is.

Considering Enroth has been pretty vocal about lack of starts with the Kings in the season just passed, I doubt he would come to the Sharks where he would be heading into a similar situation.

I would like Reimer back, but see it more likely for him to sign a one year deal rather than two. I think his work at the end of the regular season really helped contribute to what we saw out of Jones in the playoffs.

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
Considering Enroth has been pretty vocal about lack of starts with the Kings in the season just passed, I doubt he would come to the Sharks where he would be heading into a similar situation.

I would like Reimer back, but see it more likely for him to sign a one year deal rather than two. I think his work at the end of the regular season really helped contribute to what we saw out of Jones in the playoffs.

I wish we could have Reimer back and in all honesty, when the Flames got Elliot I thought Reimer would stay with the Sharks as there are no more starting roles. Stars are locked and can't move their garbage tandem and the Hurricanes seem dead set on Ward and Lack for next season for some odd reason. Relating to Enroth, he won't get a starting position either on any team. He's set as a backup goalie in the NHL as of this upcoming season. I'm sure DeBoer would give Enroth more than the 16 starts he had in LA if he shows he's good enough to do so.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why on earth would any one want to pay the backup goalie the same as the starting goalie? It makes no sense. After the season jones had to go along with his playoffs, there is 0 chance jones plays less then 55 games with or without reimer as the backup.

So 3 million for a goalie that could be playing any where between 15-30 games (and that 30 is on the very very high end of games).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad