New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Nizhny Novgorod (12,000), July 2023.

iNr3kKY.jpg

Reactions: Rigafan and vorky

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Which new arenas will be ready for the 2023-24 season? SKA, Torpedo, Sibir, any others?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Sibir are opening their arena in August, SKA will probably open theirs in October or November. Then there are Avto and Torpedo arenas scheduled for late next year.

Reactions: Rigafan and vorky

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I will just update a data for KHL arenas, comparing the innaugural 2008-2009 season with now (2023, including new venues in N.Novgorod & Eburg)

2008 SEASON
24 teams
average arenas capacity - 6600
11 arenas with capacity under 6000 seats
3 arenas with capacity over 10000 seats
9 arenas built before 1990 year

2023 SEASON (& beyond)
23 teams
average arenas capacity - 9800
4 arenas with capacity under 6000 seats
11 arenas with capacity over 10000 seats
13 arenas built after 2008 year (league´s establishment), plus other 7 arenas built from 2005 to 2007 year
oldest arena (Vityaz) built in 2000

Reactions: Acallabeth and ViD

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Apparently yes, they seem to need a new one each year these days
I have not noticed any official statement regarding the construction. I just know Esmativich statement from May/June about doing paperwork (pre-construction phase).

Reactions: Rigafan

eal

Sep 5, 2014
It is listed on the KHL Arenas Wikipedia page, Rosneft Arena. Building arenas and stadiums must be the most productive industry in Russia!

• Haha
Reactions: Rigafan

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't know if this is a KHL arena but the Yekaterinburg construction site is on fire. It's being reported on a variety of sites and platforms.

The world is coming to the KHL.

It is the future Avtomobilist arena, thankfully the firefighters have done their job pretty fast and only minor damage was done.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Jones

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava

KHL is going to start the league with the lowest number of teams ever, a negative record of 22. Maybe building new arenas shouldn't be their biggest focus right now. Attendance is down (understandably) compared to pre covid years.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
KHL is going to start the league with the lowest number of teams ever, a negative record of 22. Maybe building new arenas shouldn't be their biggest focus right now.
Do you even realize how it sounds? Down to 22 from multiple years when it was 23 teams? So what?

Maybe building new arenas shouldn't be their biggest focus right now. Attendance is down (understandably) compared to pre covid years.
Don't worry. It's not gonna stop any time soon. After CSKA and Perm, there is Ak Bars and a few other cities I don't want to talk about yet not to jinx it.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I don't know if this is a KHL arena but the Yekaterinburg construction site is on fire. It's being reported on a variety of sites and platforms.

The world is coming to the KHL.

Do we know the cause of the fire?

There was a post here saying it was most likely the infamous russian disregard for safety rules at work, but now it's gone for some reason.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Do we know the cause of the fire?

There was a post here saying it was most likely the infamous russian disregard for safety rules at work, but now it's gone for some reason.
I have made suggestions on this thread but they've been deleted.

But yeah, the safety thing is all over the internet. There are a lot of jokes about smoke breaks, etc.

It is the future Avtomobilist arena, thankfully the firefighters have done their job pretty fast and only minor damage was done.
This time. Although I imagine there's an oligarch somewhere POed that insurance money isn't coming his or her way.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcbio11

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Do you even realize how it sounds? Down to 22 from multiple years when it was 23 teams? So what?

Don't worry. It's not gonna stop any time soon. After CSKA and Perm, there is Ak Bars and a few other cities I don't want to talk about yet not to jinx it.
From 24 down to 22 actually. And they had almost 30 at one point. The negative trend is clear.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2