New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL Part II

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Hosting or not, SKA has been in need for a bigger arena as the growth more or less stagnated in the old Ice Palace. The tournament just acted as a deadline/grand opening for the project.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
I wouldn't complain about SKA-Arena. There is no WC, and the team wouldn't want to change their venue for a few rounds of playoffs, so the only deadline they have is the start of the new season. And they will have no issues with completing it before that.

Reactions: Rigafan and vorky

ult

Sep 21, 2009
The current arena is owned by Inter RAO, and its CEO Boris Kovalchuk is on the Supervisory Board of HC CSKA. Inter RAO is leasing the current CSKA Arena, formerly known as VTB Ice Palace and Legends Park, to HC CSKA. The new arena is owned by Rosneft, who own HC CSKA.

As for how necessary this is, it is another thing entirely. But it's not like they already own an arena and just decided to build another one for no reason.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
"...according to the plan..." We heard this many many times last years and we know the reality.
I do not know what is your point.

Name me proposed KHL venues which have not been completed (or now being under construction). I can name the following list

-Minsk Arena, done
-Sochi Arena, done
-Park Legends, done
-Torpedo, U/C, 2025
-SKA, U/C, 2023
-VTB Dynamo, done
-New CSKA, U/C
-Avto, U/C, 2025
-Omsk, done
-Admiral, done
-Barys Arena, done
-Sibir, completed, soon to be open

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The current arena is owned by Inter RAO, and its CEO Boris Kovalchuk is on the Supervisory Board of HC CSKA. Inter RAO is leasing the current CSKA Arena, formerly known as VTB Ice Palace and Legends Park, to HC CSKA. The new arena is owned by Rosneft, who own HC CSKA.

As for how necessary this is, it is another thing entirely. But it's not like they already own an arena and just decided to build another one for no reason.

Question out of curiosity. Would Boris Kovalchuk, should CSKA get its new arena under Rosneft's control, try and build his own team to occupy his building and try to enter the VHL or KHL?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Question out of curiosity. Would Boris Kovalchuk, should CSKA get its new arena under Rosneft's control, try and build his own team to occupy his building and try to enter the VHL or KHL?
No, because the arena is in Moscow, and it already has a plethora of teams who struggle to get people's attention despite their rich history and a well known brand. So a new team would be dead in a water.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the arena that much. CSKA is gonna play there for a few more years, by then it's gonna be at least 10 years old. It wasn't that expensive to begin with, and the investors got their money back by getting the land for an arena and using half of it for residential buildings. Spartak could move back there again for a few years. It's fine.

Reactions: EvilDead

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Reactions: vorky

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They play in 12k arena built 8 years ago. Ridiculous :laugh: Russia in a nutshell. I mean it's not even vanity projects anymore, just money dumps.

Reactions: jcbio11

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah, Moscow has the Legends(CSKA) Arena and Megasport Arena, not sure why they need a new one only 2k more
My guess is you have never been in Megasport Arena, and that's why you are calling it a hockey arena. Capacity isn't everything. As far as I am concerned there are only CSKA Arena and VTB Arena. And 3 KHL teams.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Torpedo GM was asked why their new arena is only 12k when something like 15k would seem better suited for the city/team? He replied by thanking the governor for building the arena and said its a question for the designers to answer

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Torpedo GM was asked why their new arena is only 12k when something like 15k would seem better suited for the city/team? He replied by thanking the governor for building the arena and said its a question for the designers to answer
Something something don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But, long story short there is this design firm called Project institute ARENA, who did a lot of work on WC 2018 arenas and some arenas before that (Megasport), and they designed Humo Arena in Tashkent for 12500 seats, which is more than enough for Uzbekistan. As it was their most recent work, it became some sort of go to project, which they used multiple times, including the new arena in Nizhny Novgorod. While it's somewhat repetitive, there is no doubt that they saved a lot of time and money by going this route. They modified it to make the exterior cheaper, and then it was changed again by Crocus ( to address the complaints they got from Novosibirsk) who are building it right now.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Something something don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

But, long story short there is this design firm called Project institute ARENA, who did a lot of work on WC 2018 arenas and some arenas before that (Megasport), and they designed Humo Arena in Tashkent for 12500 seats, which is more than enough for Uzbekistan. As it was their most recent work, it became some sort of go to project, which they used multiple times, including the new arena in Nizhny Novgorod. While it's somewhat repetitive, there is no doubt that they saved a lot of time and money by going this route. They modified it to make the exterior cheaper, and then it was changed again by Crocus ( to address the complaints they got from Novosibirsk) who are building it right now.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad