Rumor: New “C” coming soon

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Guys it's going to be Jones. The C will be on his helmet.
Better than the big "L" he had on his forehead last season.

4h.jpg

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I trust management and the staff to make the right decision. We only know external projections of how players truly act, which makes this difficult for us. Maybe Couture likes to lead on the ice and with his candor, but doesnt want to be fluffing up the media and would prefer not to have the C. Maybe Burns, despite his relaxed persona, is really gunning for the C and would be disappointed to not get it.

Considering we have a tenured captain on the roster in EK65, though one who is still relatively new to the team, maybe it would behoove the team to go no C this season and let things work themselves out.

Often when we think about captains, rightly or wrongly, we attribute the team to them. the Jets are Wheeler's team, the Caps are Ovie's team, the Hawks are Toew's team, etc. The Sharks, as of today, are very much still Jumbo's team. Maybe that changes by year end.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I trust management and the staff to make the right decision. We only know external projections of how players truly act, which makes this difficult for us. Maybe Couture likes to lead on the ice and with his candor, but doesnt want to be fluffing up the media and would prefer not to have the C. Maybe Burns, despite his relaxed persona, is really gunning for the C and would be disappointed to not get it.

Considering we have a tenured captain on the roster in EK65, though one who is still relatively new to the team, maybe it would behoove the team to go no C this season and let things work themselves out.

Often when we think about captains, rightly or wrongly, we attribute the team to them. the Jets are Wheeler's team, the Caps are Ovie's team, the Hawks are Toew's team, etc. The Sharks, as of today, are very much still Jumbo's team. Maybe that changes by year end.

I think Couture makes a great deal of sense as there’s a real feeling of “passing the team down to the next generation around the Sharks lately. Couture is a good in-between — young, but a Sharks heart and soul guy who has brought us on his shoulders through two playoff runs.

My only thing with Cooch is he sometimes comes off more petulant than a leader. He leads by example and he calls people out — all important — but there seemed to be a real love for Pavs and Joe (not sure it was the exact same with Patty — where players would do anything for them (and it felt like they’d do anything for their teammates). It’s hard to see Couture inspire that kind of respect exactly but that’s purely from seeing his interviews, etc. maybe I’m totally wrong and everyone loves him.

And really, all that said, I don’t know who, aside from Joe, makes a better captain than Couture. He seems like the heir-apparent.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Couture makes a great deal of sense as there’s a real feeling of “passing the team down to the next generation around the Sharks lately. Couture is a good in-between — young, but a Sharks heart and soul guy who has brought us on his shoulders through two playoff runs.

My only thing with Cooch is he sometimes comes off more petulant than a leader. He leads by example and he calls people out — all important — but there seemed to be a real love for Pavs and Joe (not sure it was the exact same with Patty — where players would do anything for them (and it felt like they’d do anything for their teammates). It’s hard to see Couture inspire that kind of respect exactly but that’s purely from seeing his interviews, etc. maybe I’m totally wrong and everyone loves him.

And really, all that said, I don’t know who, aside from Joe, makes a better captain than Couture. He seems like the heir-apparent.

I’m nearly 100% sure that Couture will get the C, but any reservations about him that I have are the same ones that made me feel like Boyle never would have been a good captain.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

A big problem with Thornton was that he would call people out but never I lead by example.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Definitely, his would be a different leadership style than what the Sharks are accustomed to. Neither is better or worse, just different. I doubt that plays a part though. If the Pavs incident happened to Couture, i think the reaction would have been the same.

I guess my biggest blockade on thinking it will be Cooch is that for some reason, and i cant round out why, i have this notion that he doesnt want it, or knows that he doesnt need it to be a leader. really, i have no idea why i feel this way, especially since i think he'll be a great captain.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Couture is like the J Cole of the sharks... He's not quite an OG OG but he's not a millennial either... not God tier generational talent but he's not a one trick pony either, very consistently good... Has moments of awkwardness that you think would be out of his system by now

Reactions: themelkman

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There's a story that John Scott recently shared about Clowe trying to kill Thornton in the locker room because he called Clowe out for taking a stupid penalty.

And where did he pick that up from? Just locker room chatter?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
And where did he pick that up from? Just locker room chatter?
I may be remembering wrong which player told the story. I know this came out recently. Maybe someone else can find the podcast it came from. I can’t seem to track it down.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
There's a story that John Scott recently shared about Clowe trying to kill Thornton in the locker room because he called Clowe out for taking a stupid penalty.

It was Demers who told the story originally. Clowie confirmed the story recently.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Joe sounds like a mad man.

Sounds like the thornton that every one wanted as the captain of the sharks while he was captain but since he was seen as the laid back no cares in the world player. Every one said he was a bad captain.

But then again when it was shown that he wasn't as care free as he was portrayed behind the scenes now every one says bad bad thornton. How dare you get on players for doing stupid stuff on the ice.

Knowing clowe and the stupid stuff he did on the ice to get penalties he probably deserved the lashing out he got.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Sounds like the thornton that every one wanted as the captain of the sharks while he was captain but since he was seen as the laid back no cares in the world player. Every one said he was a bad captain.

But then again when it was shown that he wasn't as care free as he was portrayed behind the scenes now every one says bad bad thornton. How dare you get on players for doing stupid stuff on the ice.

Knowing clowe and the stupid stuff he did on the ice to get penalties he probably deserved the lashing out he got.
Funny how that works

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4