Rumor: New “C” coming soon

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Huh. What makes you think that?
Dunno if you read it but he was talking about the difference between the Ottawa locker room and SJ locker room. In Ottawa, he was de facto big dog on the team as the veteran captain. In SJ, he was joining a veteran locker room that had an established leadership group so it took a while for him to adjust and find his own role in the team dynamic. I don't agree with SactoShark's conclusion but I can see how it could be read that way.

I really don't see any way where Couture isn't that captain. He stepped up a lot when Pavelski went down and the rest of the team clearly let him.

Last edited:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Dunno if you read it but he was talking about the difference between the Ottawa locker room and SJ locker room. In Ottawa, he was de facto big do on the team as the veteran captain. In SJ, he was joining a veteran locker room that had an established leadership group so it took a while for him to adjust and find his own role in the team dynamic. I don't agree with SactoShark's conclusion but I can see how it could be read that way.

I really don't see any way where Couture isn't that captain. He stepped up a lot when Pavelski went down and the rest of the team clearly let him.
Yeah, I figure he would have just not resigned here if he didn't want to be just "one of the guys" instead of "the guy". I didn't read it, but sounds like it is more about why he struggled the first half of the season, more than what he plans to do going forward.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
After reading that latest Kurz article, I think Karl had a tough time not being the captain.

To me it more read like he wanted to speak up but he was trying to keep a low profile because it didn’t feel like his team. So maybe it was hard for him to point out team or line partner errors because he felt like it wasn’t his place and that affected his play a bit (which makes total sense — he’s such a game controlling player, it behooves him to be a big voice in the room).

I think he got way more comfortable when he could start yelling at himself, Dillon and calling Hertl a bitch, though...

That was my favorite Karlsson article because he actually said things instead of talking in vague, confusing circles of nothing. Hopefully now that people won’t be looking into every word he says, I look forward to hearing more interviews

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Dunno if you read it but he was talking about the difference between the Ottawa locker room and SJ locker room. In Ottawa, he was de facto big dog on the team as the veteran captain. In SJ, he was joining a veteran locker room that had an established leadership group so it took a while for him to adjust and find his own role in the team dynamic. I don't agree with SactoShark's conclusion but I can see how it could be read that way.

Yeah that's what I was referencing. My conclusion was way oversimplified here, but I think it added to his difficulties fitting in. Don't think he'd mention it otherwise.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Here's the bit…

His approach early after the trade was to defer to the established leaders in the Sharks’ dressing room. But as a naturally loquacious guy and as someone who wants to lead, that was new territory for him and it wasn’t comfortable.

“I came in, I was new, this is a veteran team, an established team — I didn’t want to come in and take up too much space and try and change what they had going on here that has been so good,” he said. “I think as the season progressed I found my spot on the team a little bit more and I started to fit in a little bit more in the group where I knew what was expected of me, what they needed, my role. So I think that took a little bit longer than I expected.

“I’m a very vocal guy. I think I’ve worked hard for 10 years in this league to be the player and the person that I am, and I’m proud of that. I didn’t expect it to take me that long to show everybody that aspect of myself, as well. And once I kind of got a grip of everything around here and how it worked, I think that I found my role and I think that helped my game kind of speak for itself.”

“Hopefully, this year, knowing that I’m going to be a big part of this organization for a long time, that’s something that I’m going to be able to bring to the team and offer,” he said.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The san jose sharks are proud to announce the new captain for the 2019-20 season. This player has given everything he has into the organization and fans alike. It will also be his 2nd time donning the C in teal.

Please welcome to the podium number 12 patrick marleau.
jesus christ no...

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Couture has been captain since "that's one"

C: Couture
A: Thornton
A: Burns

Karlsson might become the first A in rotation in case of injury, but I don't think he gets one just yet, he's only played 72 games here

Reactions: Gunnin54

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't know. Sure sounds to me like he's ready to step into a leadership role. I don't know why that wouldn't include wanting to be Captain.

"Now, with former captain Joe Pavelski moving on to Dallas, there is a leadership void to be filled in the room. Karlsson seems eager to help in that regard, and will have no reservations in doing so as he prepares for his second season in the Bay Area.

“Hopefully, this year, knowing that I’m going to be a big part of this organization for a long time, that’s something that I’m going to be able to bring to the team and offer,” he said. “Losing Pavs is not going to be easy for a lot of the guys here that played with him for a long time. I’ve gone through that as a player as well, missing out on guys or losing guys that were such a big part of what’s been built. You have to step forward and remember all the good things that he brought and try and elevate it to the next level.

“Hopefully, I can play a big part in doing that, and I feel like I will be a little more comfortable in doing that now, right from the start.”

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Couture has been captain since "that's one"

C: Couture
A: Thornton
A: Burns

Karlsson might become the first A in rotation in case of injury, but I don't think he gets one just yet, he's only played 72 games here
That’s what it should be I’d have no reservations with that, then Erik and Hertl as injury A’s

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Would be VERY shocked it Couture doesn’t get the C and EK65 doesn’t get an A. Still think Burns gets the last A as well, but that could also be rotated like they did with Patty and Clowe.

Thornton already stated he doesn’t care about a letter. Pretty sure he’s ready to pass the torch. Everyone knows he’s a leader already anyway.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You'd like to have at least one letter "available" (IOW on the ice) to talk to officials.

So, I can see them putting letters (nominally) on two forwards and a D. (If 2nd D is tagged, probably should be guys that aren't paired up nominally.)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
You'd like to have at least one letter "available" (IOW on the ice) to talk to officials.

I think they've relaxed the rules on this as of late

I've noticed players without a letter in the refs' crease discussing calls a lot in recent years, I'm unclear whether or not they still enforce that standard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad