NES/SNES Classic Editions

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Its nice to see Nintendo appears to have genuinely made good on their promise of more availability.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's still a pretty lame situation, though. They're still only occasionally giving out small quantities of new stock piece-meal such that it gets immediately snapped up after a few minutes.

I really want one, but I still haven't been able to get it, unfortunately. I haven't been able to get myself to stalk websites or wait in line or anything, though.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It's still a pretty lame situation, though. They're still only occasionally giving out small quantities of new stock piece-meal such that it gets immediately snapped up after a few minutes.

I really want one, but I still haven't been able to get it, unfortunately. I haven't been able to get myself to stalk websites or wait in line or anything, though.
I'm in the same boat as you. Every time I notice this thread bump I check the usual suspects but I can't spent my time checking 5 websites a day or driving around to various stores repeatedly, just hoping. Is there any source of news to follow or anything?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm in the same boat as you. Every time I notice this thread bump I check the usual suspects but I can't spent my time checking 5 websites a day or driving around to various stores repeatedly, just hoping. Is there any source of news to follow or anything?
I'm aware that there's this:
Nintendo SNES Classic Edition - NowInStock.net

Even knowing when it's in stock isn't enough that I'd ever notice in time or would be willing to drop everything and try to get it in the short window that stays open, though.

I think I'm probably more likely to eventually cave and overpay for it to avoid the hassel, personally. Hopefully the prices drop down to something less upsetting before that happens, though.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Even knowing when it's in stock isn't enough that I'd ever notice in time or would be willing to drop everything and try to get it in the short window that stays open, though.

I think I'm probably more likely to eventually cave and overpay for it to avoid the hassel, personally. Hopefully the prices drop down to something less upsetting before that happens, though.
That's better than my "let's check bestbuy on my lunch break" approach that has failed me so greatly to this point. Thanks a lot.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's better than my "let's check bestbuy on my lunch break" approach that has failed me so greatly to this point. Thanks a lot.
Amazon Books had a shit-ton when I picked up mine but I think there are only a limited number of locations (like 15) in the US.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I used istocknow.com when I got mine at Target back in October. Use your location and it will show all the Target, Gamestop, and Walmart locations in your area and indicate whether that location shows stock. I've seen them on shelves a few times at random, since I got mine, which is the opposite of the NES classic.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I have alerts but it is useless because I’m always too late.

Scalpers scoop these up so fast. Nintendo needs to dump a large amount of stock on the market to stop this nonsense.

Reactions: Amerika

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I really just have no energy to jump through the necessary hoops for it (even though I really want one and will probably end up getting one). At this point, giving money to scalpers only feels marginally worse than giving money to Nintendo.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Thanks for the ideas all; no amazon store near me unfortunately. Maybe I'll get lucky but:

1. I really want one of these and
2. I refuse to go through Ebay or anything

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I picked one up an hour ago on Amazon for a total of 146 dollars, although they get in stock on the 27th and I should receive mine between February 7th and February 12th. They're being sold through the Click4Fun supplier, which appears to be reliable.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I haven't been excited about a video game in over a decade, though. Looking through the games included, my god. Even my girlfriend's excited and she's the furthest thing from a gamer. Will probably start off with Super Mario World - what a beauty that game is - and work my way through the other classics I've never played like Star Fox and Zelda before hitting up the rest.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I have alerts but it is useless because I’m always too late.

Scalpers scoop these up so fast. Nintendo needs to dump a large amount of stock on the market to stop this nonsense.

I'm completely ignorant of how the video game industry works, but how does shit like that happen? Were they not expecting such a turn-out (which would seem bizarre considering how retro/nostalgic people seem to be getting by the minute) and if so, how has it been months without a true fix?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I picked one up an hour ago on Amazon for a total of 146 dollars, although they get in stock on the 27th and I should receive mine between February 7th and February 12th. They're being sold through the Click4Fun supplier, which appears to be reliable.
I'm completely ignorant of how the video game industry works, but how does **** like that happen? Were they not expecting such a turn-out (which would seem bizarre considering how retro/nostalgic people seem to be getting by the minute) and if so, how has it been months without a true fix?
It's definitely no accident, or anything they seem to have any interest in genuinely fixing. Nintendo seems to have some strange ideas about keeping certain products exclusive and attempting to control the market and manipulate demand. It doesn't make much sense.

Are you using an Amazon Prime account or something? Every time I check, it's $175 CDN on Amazon. I'm waiting until it's at most double the original price.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't been excited about a video game in over a decade, though. Looking through the games included, my god. Even my girlfriend's excited and she's the furthest thing from a gamer. Will probably start off with Super Mario World - what a beauty that game is - and work my way through the other classics I've never played like Star Fox and Zelda before hitting up the rest.
I'm actually pretty curious about what your view on videogames is. Personally, I loved videogames during the 16 bit era, thought it took a nose-dive after that and despised the way that it turned into this online, open-world-obsessed, addictive, realistic immersion-based, customization-heavy, economy-emulating, doing stuff because it's available to do nonsense. And only now am I starting to become interested again, with stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, Inside, Undertale, and Portal.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm actually pretty curious about what your view on videogames is. Personally, I loved videogames during the 16 bit era, thought it took a nose-dive after that and despised the way that it turned into this online, open-world-obsessed, addictive, realistic immersion-based, customization-heavy, economy-emulating, doing stuff because it's available to do nonsense. And only now am I starting to become interested again, with stuff like Shadow of the Colossus, Inside, Undertale, and Portal.

In recent years I've only really enjoyed classics like Pokemon and sports games such as Fifa and Madden, although I haven't bought any but Pokemon in recent years. My last truly enthusiastic relationship video games were during the early years of Xbox 360 as a teenager and the GTA craze but I haven't really kept up with it since. 16-bit games like Super Mario World have always been a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me, moreso then just because of the gameplay, but also because visually and atmospherically, I've always been fond of the side-scrolling, straight-forward colory genre which seems to be more rewarding in consoles like the SNES and also because I don't have much patience for anything else. I've always respected the art of it though - and I do believe it's a legitimate art form - and a game like the The Binding of Isaac is a recent one I've had a lot of fun with in a compulsive sort of way.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Okay, I finally caved the moment the hassle-free option went for less than double the original price. To make up for it, I went deep down the rabbit hole of getting this thing customized to my liking.

Edit: Here's what I ended up with:

SNES
----------------------- Tier 1
1. Super Metroid
2. Earthbound
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
----------------------- Tier 2
4. Super Mario World
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Megaman X
----------------------- Tier 3
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
9. Street Fighter II Turbo
10. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (J)
11. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
12. Super Mario All Stars
----------------------- Tier 4
13. Tetris Attack
14. Super Bomberman 5 (J)
15. Super Mario Kart
16. Super Mario RPG
17. Contra III: Alien Wars
18. Donkey Kong Country
----------------------- Tier 5
19. Star Fox
20. Kirby Superstar
21. Final Fantasy V (J)
22. Secret of Mana
23. Super Bomberman
----------------------- Tier 6
24. Wild Guns
25. Gradius III
26. Final Fantasy IV
27. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
28. Aladdin
----------------------- Tier 7
29. Super Punch Out
30. NBA Jam

NES
----------------------- Tier 1

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Megaman 2
3. Super Mario Bros
4. Super Mario Bros. 2
5. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
6. Mike Tyson Punch Out
----------------------- Tier 6
7. Kirby's Adventure

GBA
1. Mother 3
2. Metroid: Zero Mission

Arcade
1. Street Fighter II Turbo
2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
3. Metal Slug X

Sega Genesis

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Still slowly researching worthwhile Japanese games that I may be unaware of.

Loving it so far. The only bad thing is that the filters are far inferior to what you would get with emulation on a PC (Super2X/Eagle filters look incredible for this kind of thing, IMO, whereas the CRT filters just look passable). Oh well, well worth it either way, IMO.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Okay, I finally caved the moment the hassle-free option went for less than double the original price. To make up for it, I went deep down the rabbit hole of getting this thing customized to my liking. Now dual-booting the NES Classic and SNES Classic, w/ a bunch of the default games hidden and the following game list included instead (in order of preference/interest).... These are just tentative impressions-- Tried to keep it pretty tight/fat-free.

SNES
Masterpieces
1. Super Metroid
2. Earthbound
3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Brilliant Games
4. Super Mario World
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Megaman X
8. Street Fighter II Turbo
Great Games
9. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (J)
10. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
11. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
12. Super Mario All Stars
13. Tetris Attack
14. Super Bomberman 5 (J)
Very Good Games
15. Super Mario Kart
16. Super Mario RPG
17. Contra III: Alien Wars
18. Donkey Kong Country

Solid Games
19. Star Fox
20. Kirby Superstar
21. Final Fantasy V (J)
22. Secret of Mana
23. Gradius III
24. Out of This World

Memorable/Nostalgic/Decent Novelties & Curiosities
25. Front Mission (J)
26. Final Fantasy IV
27. Super Bomberman

28. Wild Guns
29. Aladdin
30. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
31. Front Mission Series: Gun Hazard (J)
32. The Firemen (J)
33. Super Punch Out
34. F-Zero
35. R-Type III
36. Super Tennis
37. NBA Jam

NES
Masterpieces
1. Super Mario Bros 3
Great Games
2. Megaman 2
Very Good Games
3. Super Mario Bros 2 (J)
4. Super Mario Bros 2
Solid Games
5. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
6. Super Mario Bros

Memorable/Nostalgic/Decent Novelties & Curiosities
7. Mother (J)
8. Ninja Gaiden
9. Kirby's Adventure

Loving it so far. The only bad thing is that the filters are far inferior to what you would get with emulation on a PC (Super2X/Eagle filters look incredible for this kind of thing, IMO, whereas the CRT filters just look passable). Oh well, well worth it either way, IMO.

Do you own a smart TV? If so, how does it look? Does the SNES fill the whole screen? I didn't own a television previously but I've got one on the way specifically for the SNES and it's a 24-inch Smart TV but I'm kinda scared it won't fill out the whole screen, which I'd hate.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the modding community for this, and Jesus, this thing can play anything. Having a hard time deciding between whether to take advantage of all of it or retain the authenticity by ignoring them.
Do you own a smart TV? If so, how does it look? Does the SNES fill the whole screen? I didn't own a television previously but I've got one on the way specifically for the SNES and it's a 24-inch Smart TV but I'm kinda scared it won't fill out the whole screen, which I'd hate.
The interface will fill your TV but the games definitely won't-- TVs during the SNES era were 4:3 whereas they're 16:9 now, I think, so there will definitely be black bars on the sides (they give you the option of replacing the black bars with colorful background patterns).

But suck it up, it doesn't actually matter, IMO.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Looking at the modding community for this, and Jesus, this thing can play anything. Having a hard time deciding between whether to take advantage of all of it or retain the authenticity by ignoring them.

The interface will fill your TV but the games definitely won't-- TVs during the SNES era were 4:3 whereas they're 16:9 now, I think, so there will definitely be black bars on the sides (they give you the option of replacing the black bars with colorful background patterns).

But suck it up, it doesn't actually matter, IMO.

Eh, I tend to hate blacks bars aesthetically. Find it incredibly distracting. Glad to know we can put on a background, that should help matters.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh

Not sure what other games you may have decided for/against adding, but here are a few other possible suggestions.

Harvest Moon

Japanese games:

Super Famicom Wars
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

There should be translated versions out there for all of those, the Gundam Wing game is a fighting game, so the language doesn't really matter.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Looking deeper into custom filters and I managed to make it look a fair bit better than the default filters (IMO), but it looks like the hardware performance straight up cannot handle anything beyond basic scanlines and blurring. I was experimenting with combining eagle & dot matrix filters on my PC and they make old games look amazingly crisp and smooth.
Not sure what other games you may have decided for/against adding, but here are a few other possible suggestions.
Harvest Moon
Japanese games:
Super Famicom Wars
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
There should be translated versions out there for all of those, the Gundam Wing game is a fighting game, so the language doesn't really matter.
Thanks. I considered most of these, besides Super Famicom Wars, which I've never heard of-- what is it? I've always liked the charm and simplicity of the idea behind Harvest Moon, but I can't imagine ever wanting to play it, the Fire Emblem series gets brought up a lot and is intriguing, and Gundam Wing Endless Waltz looks and feels very impressive for the technology, but doesn't really stand out to me as a memorable game.

Anyone know if the Goemon series is supposed to be any good?

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Harvest Moon can be very addicting. I've never played the SNES version, but it's held in high regard. I plan to add it to mine.

Have you played any of the Advance Wars games on GBA/(3)DS? Super Famicom Wars is just the SNES version, but like Fire Emblem, none of the games were ever released outside of Japan until the Gameboy Advance versions. Turn based, tactical game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Harvest Moon can be very addicting. I've never played the SNES version, but it's held in high regard. I plan to add it to mine.

Have you played any of the Advance Wars games on GBA/(3)DS? Super Famicom Wars is just the SNES version, but like Fire Emblem, none of the games were ever released outside of Japan until the Gameboy Advance versions. Turn based, tactical game.
No, but I'll check it out, thanks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Eh, I tend to hate blacks bars aesthetically. Find it incredibly distracting. Glad to know we can put on a background, that should help matters.
Honestly, my bigger pet peeve has always been when imperfect screen-filling options are given to appease consumers who care more about black bars than seeing the full picture the way it was originally intended. Unless it's actually re-imagined from the ground up for wide-screen design and framing considerations (no tweaking aspect ratios or anything like that), that kind of thing really ruins it for me. :p:

Same thing for movies/TV Shows, too. Unless you're painstakingly re-framing every shot and being critical about its effect (like they did for the Blu Ray of The Wire for example), I usually find any sort of cropping or stretching awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad