NES/SNES Classic Editions

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I find the input lag to be much worse than expected. It was extremely noticeable on Mario World. Set my TV to game mode and all that, it didn't help much. My modded PS3 plays these games with less lag. Unfortunate. It's still nice having an official Nintendo product playing these games with the exact same controllers.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Picked up a SNES Classic yesterday. Big time nostalgia feels.
Congrats!

I picked up one of those cheapy Sega Genesis' that they sell at Walmart on a whim. Definitely worth the $30 I paid but not nearly as fleshed out as the SNES classic. However it will play cartridges too so maybe will have to try that. It comes preloaded with 80 games. Some of the games are "original" AKA not real games that were released on the Genesis but it's got all the hits like Mortal Kombat 1-3, Vector Man, Ecco, Golden Axe... etc.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Congrats!

I picked up one of those cheapy Sega Genesis' that they sell at Walmart on a whim. Definitely worth the $30 I paid but not nearly as fleshed out as the SNES classic. However it will play cartridges too so maybe will have to try that. It comes preloaded with 80 games. Some of the games are "original" AKA not real games that were released on the Genesis but it's got all the hits like Mortal Kombat 1-3, Vector Man, Ecco, Golden Axe... etc.

That sounds great. I used to go to the local electronics store every day just to play the Genesis they had set up. I think they hated me. :laugh:

One thing about the SNES is the gfx look a little...not so good on modern day big screens. :D

Reactions: Lancer

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Depends on the game. The sprite based stuff like Yoshi's Island, a Link to the Past and Super Mario World tend to look alright on modern day TV's

Stuff like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox and Super Metroid though? eh.....

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Not to alarm anybody but Donkey Kong Country never looked good.

CRT filter probably helps for that one, though.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
My brother has successfully figured out how to add games to the system.

Anybody have any suggestions for great racing or sports games?

The big additions I am making are Mario All Star, NBA Jam TE, Turtles in Time, Tetris+Dr. Mario, Maximum Carnage.....I am not huge on RPGs, so I'm not looking to add more than maybe 1 or 2.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

The big additions I am making are Mario All Star, NBA Jam TE, Turtles in Time, Tetris+Dr. Mario, Maximum Carnage.....I am not huge on RPGs, so I'm not looking to add more than maybe 1 or 2.

Gotta get an NHL game on there. 94/95. I also really enjoyed Tiny Toons Wacky Sports. Basically a mini-game type thing, but they were quite fun. I liked Tecmo Super Baseball as well.

Reactions: Pilky01

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Tecmo Super Bowl is pretty good for sports games.

Unfortunately, most any modern racing game you play today is going to be more fun than what's available on the SNES.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My idea of essential SNES games not on the list:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Super Mario All Stars
3. Tactics Ogre (can it handle translated roms?)
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Tetris Attack (super underrated-- one of the more satisfying puzzle games I've played, period)
6. Final Fantasy II
7. Super Bomberman (not sure if the sequels are better)
8. Gradius III

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I played a lot of this as a kid on my cousin's SNES

hqdefault.jpg

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
My idea of essential SNES games not on the list:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Super Mario All Stars
3. Tactics Ogre (can it handle translated roms?)
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Tetris Attack (super underrated-- one of the more satisfying puzzle games I've played, period)
6. Final Fantasy II
7. Super Bomberman (not sure if the sequels are better)
8. Gradius III

+TMNT: Turtles in Time, Earthworm Jim, DKC 3, Uniracers, Mortal Kombat 2.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Unfortunately, most any modern racing game you play today is going to be more fun than what's available on the SNES.

Yeah, racing games used to really suck. I still have a fondness for top down racers though; any good ones like that on SNES?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I could never get into DKC 3. DKC 2 is fantastic though.

Any reason why? I'm legitimately curious, because when I look back, they all seemed like they were on par with each other. DKC2 and 3 were definitely longer than DKC though.

I really liked the vehicle aspect in the open-ish world (driving from world to world), the secret world you could unlock by driving around the rocks in a certain way and getting coins to unlock more levels in that world, and the length of the game was good. It also wasn't as frustratingly challenging as DKC2 (that god damned prickle bush parrot level, I swear to God. And paying to save your game, like come on).

The downsides to me were that the characters were unlikeable and it was so close to the N64 launch that it was overshadowed at the time.

I have fond memories of all three of them and wish they were all on the SNES classic. Wasted opportunity.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any reason why? I'm legitimately curious, because when I look back, they all seemed like they were on par with each other. DKC2 and 3 were definitely longer than DKC though.

I really liked the vehicle aspect in the open-ish world (driving from world to world), the secret world you could unlock by driving around the rocks in a certain way and getting coins to unlock more levels in that world, and the length of the game was good. It also wasn't as frustratingly challenging as DKC2 (that god damned prickle bush parrot level, I swear to God. And paying to save your game, like come on).

The downsides to me were that the characters were unlikeable and it was so close to the N64 launch that it was overshadowed at the time.

I have fond memories of all three of them and wish they were all on the SNES classic. Wasted opportunity.

Most people don’t like the art style. It is cartoony compared to a grittier DKC2.

It is still a rock solid game even if those SIMON mini games suck.

Mega Man X is a SNES that should be on any must play list.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

I don't think it was the art style, like mentioned above, though maybe that factored into it. For some reason, the gameplay didn't feel as tight to me as it did in D2. It just felt... I don't know... slower? Maybe it was the lack of Diddy. Baby is a slow player and Dixie isn't particularly quick either. It just wasn't as exciting an experience for me as the other two. Just a weird personal thing I suppose :laugh:

Also, I thought the score was a step down from the first 2. But I agree though, no idea why they all aren't on the Classic.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I know you said you aren't an RPG fan and this game is semi adventure, semi RPG and its a game I loved... E.V.O. Search for Eden
Epic game I need to play again.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
On the subject of games not making the cut, just wanted to take a moment to randomly gush about Tactics Ogre on the SNES (Japanese/fan translated). Not suggesting it was an option, of course.

I don't understand why it isn't more famous/revered-- Even when you go out of your way to search for great Japanese SNES games that never came over seas, it's never mentioned.

It's essentially a 1995 version of Final Fantasy Tactics (one of the better PSX games that still holds up) but with less hand-holding, less game-breaking, more interesting creative decisions/themes/mechanics, what feels like a larger scope (especially with the branching paths), and that astoundingly somehow looks visually and stylistically (not to mention art direction) even more polished and attractive than FFT does. It's the best sprite/background/interface work I've seen on the system, personally, and doesn't feel remotely dated to me. It's comparable in overall quality to the better JRPGs on the console, IMO (I think not as good as Chrono Trigger/FFVI/Earthbound, but better than FFIV/Secret of Mana, etc.).

The PSP version is even better and is translated, but they didn't have to tweak very much of it to make it look modern.

gfs_5232_1_1_mid.jpg

gfs_5232_2_22_mid.jpg

gfs_5232_2_25_mid.jpg

I mean, look at that. Looks fantastic now, let alone in 1995 on a SNES.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For the first time I saw one available on Amazon yesterday and pounced on it.

When my package arrives it'll be the first time I've actually seen one of these things in person...but hey, didn't pay a cent over MSRP at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad