NES/SNES Classic Editions

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
NES/SNES Classic Editions

minines7.14610a.jpg
minines7.14610b.jpg

While we wait for news on Nintendo's newest home console, the NX, the company has at least announced hardware news of another variety. Nintendo is releasing a mini Classic Edition NES that comes built-in with 30 games for $59.99.

The NES Classic Edition comes out on November 11, and the box also includes an HDMI cable, AC adapter, and classic NES controller. You can get a second controller (either another classic controller or the classic controller pro) sold separately for $9.99. The classic controller can also be connected to a Wii remote controller in order to play Virtual Console NES titles on a Wii or Wii U.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ni-nes-loaded-with-30-classics-for-59.99.aspx

Full Game List:

Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts'n Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

giphy.gif

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
It is so cute!

Even though I already have all those game on original carts I need this for my big screen. Still a bit puzzled over the inclusion of Super C instead of Contra but overall a good selection of games.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
But will the games be 1080p and 60fps? If not, they might as well surrender to the power of the PS4.

Oh wait, this isn't one of those debates. Wohoo, retro game nostalgia where graphics don't matter!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nifty.

No Castlevania III though, it's the best one!

I wonder if there will be a way to add games to it? If not I'm not interested but if so I might be tempted.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
looks great! i bet you anything someone will figure out a way to mod it and get the games you want.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I'm surprised they haven't done something like this sooner. Now if they would only release a mini version of R.O.B.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
UGHHH!!! $60 that's such a good value. The only problem is I have all those on emulator and I have a controller to play them on my laptop. That's how you do your pricing though. That's a great value for $60.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Can I mod it to play romhacks?

Kids are going to get destroyed, these games don't have 'super easy' difficulty levels.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm assuming it doesn't take cartridges though. They should have made it even smaller if thats the case.

Even better would have been just selling it as a new handheld. Maybe they toyed with that idea but it would have been too expensive.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I kinda want to get this for my daughters so that they can get into non-Minecraft gaming basically the same way I did....

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm a bit intrigued, but also disappointed that it doesn't appear to be expandable (i.e. no way to load/add a game). It would've been really nice if they'd added the ability to use existing NES cartridges (top-loaded, to reduce the problems with the VCR format). I realize that that would likely mean a whole separate subsystem and a higher price, but I'd be fine with that. I'd pay $99 for such a system and then they could still sell the basic version for $60.

As is, I'm not sure that I would buy this. You could likely make something very similar to this for a similar price using a Raspberry Pi, an SD card, a USB NES controller and an emulator. If people figure out how to hack this and add games, then I'll definitely be very interested. I'm also interested in seeing if any knockoffs are produced. There are already many companies that make boxes that play original NES cartridges, so a next evolution of those would be ones that take cartridges and can play them from local memory. I would absolutely fork over money for that.

Last edited:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Looks great, though with FF there I'm surprised it doesn't have a Dragon's Quest game.

Considering the mechanics and time that it was created, people are much better off playing the remakes (available on GB, mobile, etc). Dragon Quest I-IV NES is really only an undertaking to be had by people who aren't turned off by archaic design.

Also, is this really a good idea considering how easy it is to emulate NES? I'd much rather spend the money on platforms that are hard as **** to emulate (Saturn, N64 - a bit inconsistent, etc).

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Double Dragon II is worth the cost alone. I'm in!

Not sure if my parents paid $60 for DD II back then.

But, other than HDMI and the cuteness factor, not sure why I want this, when I can emulate NES on like everything at this point, and I have an Everdrive+retro duo or Wii that can already do this.

(it would have to be an awesome emulator with the best progressive scan and zero FPS drops for me to buy this, because seriously NES emus have been done...but it is cute)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad