NES/SNES Classic Editions

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well that was a **** show. I guess all those alerts was a damn waste of time.

These ****ing scalpers are the absolute worst. You know those are the people that bought most of these preorders.

I just want to play Starfox 2. After that, I will probably sell it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
NES Classic was never readily available, the Switch still isn't readily available, and I'm somehow doubting that the SNES Classic will be readily available at any point in its production run.

Scalpers gotta love Nintendo production and supply capacity.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I was directly behind the person who locked in the final pre-order yesterday at GameStop. For 15 minutes, it looked like I was going to get one, but they couldn't process the all-in-one bundle that the guy in front of me wanted, so he got mine, and I got nothing.

I can only compare it to the emptiness of watching a hockey team get eliminated in the playoffs. It ultimately affects my life very little, but it still bothers me.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I would love to have one but I'm just too old and grumpy to put up with the lines, the uncertainty, the stress and the nonsense. Why does this always happen with Nintendo? Do they just physically not have the manufacturing capability to produce an adequate supply of anything?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Stopped at eb this morning. She said they sold out at all locations as of yesterday afternoon.

This whole setup is total horse**** and the scalpers buying multiples make it worse for everyone else.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I would love to have one but I'm just too old and grumpy to put up with the lines, the uncertainty, the stress and the nonsense. Why does this always happen with Nintendo? Do they just physically not have the manufacturing capability to produce an adequate supply of anything?

They don't like having excess product on shelves because those units are considered a financial loss (until somebody buys them), so they low ball everything to guarantee 100% sell through on what they produce.

Also reports earlier in the year that Apple was vacuuming up some of the manufacturing components that Nintendo also needed, but as far as I know that was only for the Switch.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
They don't like having excess product on shelves because those units are considered a financial loss (until somebody buys them), so they low ball everything to guarantee 100% sell through on what they produce.

Also reports earlier in the year that Apple was vacuuming up some of the manufacturing components that Nintendo also needed, but as far as I know that was only for the Switch.

That doesn't make sense, because their projections would be laughably bad considering preorders sold out within 3 mins. And this isn't the first launch of this ilk; they have the NES Classic and the Switch to go on to adjust their numbers if it was about striking that balance like the above point suggests.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah the problem here isn't so much that they can't meet the initial demand, but rather with the Classic editions they're making them one time only limited launches. The Switch had the same launch day shenanigans, but if you're patient you'll get one eventually. The NES and SNES Classic editions on the other hand... why the hell don't they keep making them?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah the problem here isn't so much that they can't meet the initial demand, but rather with the Classic editions they're making them one time only limited launches. The Switch had the same launch day shenanigans, but if you're patient you'll get one eventually. The NES and SNES Classic editions on the other hand... why the hell don't they keep making them?

Yeah, I just got a Switch and waiting ~5 months (without seeing a single console at MSRP price until I got mine) wasn't hard for me at all considering basically every game out for the system right now exists for a console I already own and I knew I'd eventually be able to find one...but when you market something as a limited release and can't come close to meeting demand...**** you. Seriously, eat my boogers, Nintendo. At the very least find someone else to do your projections because they're ****ing terrible.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I just got a Switch and waiting ~5 months (without seeing a single console at MSRP price until I got mine) wasn't hard for me at all considering basically every game out for the system right now exists for a console I already own and I knew I'd eventually be able to find one...but when you market something as a limited release and can't come close to meeting demand...**** you. Seriously, eat my boogers, Nintendo. At the very least find someone else to do your projections because they're ****ing terrible.

Isn't that the whole point of a limited release?

And people earlier in this thread said I was nuts and trashed me for saying this was a marketing strategy. :laugh:

I got an SNES coming to me on launch day. I will probably play it a little bit and sell it to make some money. Irony.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nintendo can **** right off. Their entire game plan since the Wii has basically been to make sure everything is sold out when it comes to hardware and Amiibos.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

And people earlier in this thread said I was nuts and trashed me for saying this was a marketing strategy. :laugh:

I got an SNES coming to me on launch day. I will probably play it a little bit and sell it to make some money. Irony.

I had actually ordered two by accident. I told the company to cancel one so it can go to someone else who wanted one.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

This has been Nintendo's problem since the original NES...I got that in 1988, and I remember my mom and aunt's telling me stories how they had to drive to different stores looking for them for my cousins and myself before Christmas.

See Amiibos, Switch, mini NES...it's how they operate, and I think they do it on purpose, as it pretty much means they'll sell everything they do produce. I don't buy that it's because they're small, doesn't help your bottom line if you don't have enough product to met demand, so they're shorting themselves in the short term.

Still can't bring myself to get a Switch though, since there are no games for it (especially since the games I would buy, I already own for the Wii U).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Could have made some coin on that. That's too bad.

He's clearly not interesting in making coin, but in doing the right thing. What would've been too bad is if someone who wanted one couldn't get one at retail price and had to pay through the nose to get Hunter's extra one. Good for him for thinking of others before himself. If more people acted like that, scalping would be less of a problem.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe it's just my total lack of business knowledge, but how does this benefit Nintendo in any way, shape or form unless they are somehow profiting from the scalper market (which would be very shady)?

Not being able to meet demand is leaving revenue on the table, not to mention the potential increased revenue that could be had from sales of games in the case of the Switch if more people actually had the console and the ill will you build up from your customer base.

If it is just manufacturing limitations that is at least understandable from a practical standpoint.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He's clearly not interesting in making coin, but in doing the right thing. What would've been too bad is if someone who wanted one couldn't get one at retail price and had to pay through the nose to get Hunter's extra one. Good for him for thinking of others before himself. If more people acted like that, scalping would be less of a problem.
The right thing? Please define that.
Is that person who got one going to know / think they got one because some random guy in the cloud deleted it out of his cart? There is no pay it forward here. It's not like someone who makes money off of people who are dumb enough to pay 500% of what something is worth is a bad person either. They are smart. I have no problem with people taking advantage of dumb people.

It's no different that people buying up NHL tickets and re-selling them. Supply & demand. Nobody is evil for making $ off of people willing to spend more than retail for something.

Maybe it's just my total lack of business knowledge, but how does this benefit Nintendo in any way, shape or form unless they are somehow profiting from the scalper market (which would be very shady)?

Not being able to meet demand is leaving revenue on the table, not to mention the potential increased revenue that could be had from sales of games in the case of the Switch if more people actually had the console and the ill will you build up from your customer base.

If it is just manufacturing limitations that is at least understandable from a practical standpoint.
Uh oh here we go again.

Are we not all sitting around talking about it? Was "SNES Classic" not the top trend on Twitter at one point yesterday? Is it not all over the news that it's sold out already? Are the few people who got one not gloating about it? Are people going crazy wanting one?

There is so much hype about it. That's the reason. That's huge in the sales world. Viral marketing is the best. It gets people talking about your company and your product with 0 overhead and you get the added bonus of selling all your stock of an item. It's a dream.

But seriously, I don't feel like getting into this argument again. It's good business to generate hype wont say anything more about it because I have discussed it here to hell and back.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The right thing? Please define that.
Is that person who got one going to know / think they got one because some random guy in the cloud deleted it out of his cart? There is no pay it forward here. It's not like someone who makes money off of people who are dumb enough to pay 500% of what something is worth is a bad person either. They are smart. I have no problem with people taking advantage of dumb people.

It's no different that people buying up NHL tickets and re-selling them. Supply & demand. Nobody is evil for making $ off of people willing to spend more than retail for something.

Sorry, got to agree with Osprey on that one. It's a pretty jackass move, and kudos to HG for not doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad