NES/SNES Classic Editions

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Nintendo announced the NES classic will return in 2018 and the SNES will continue shipping in 2018 as well. No further info such as if it will be exactly the same or if there will be differences.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The funny thing about that Reggie interview is he made it sound like you are more likely to find a SNES Classic by year's end over a Switch.

Sounds like they have concerns meeting Switch demand for the holiday.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The funny thing about that Reggie interview is he made it sound like you are more likely to find a SNES Classic by year's end over a Switch.

Sounds like they have concerns meeting Switch demand for the holiday.

Switch has had pretty regular stockstocked in my area and amazon.ca, so it looks like theyve taken care of it for the most part, Im not too pessimistic about the holidays. I mean theyre still getting sold out for the most part, but thats just nintendo. I was trying to buy a 2ds from walmart when they weren't exactly selling like hotcakes, and they were getting sold out. They seem to be fine with having empty shelves for some bizarre reason.`

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Got to my local Target at 5:30am and there was one other person waiting at the doors. After about 5-10 minutes, an employee came out and handed us voucher tickets and said we could come back at 7am to get our SNES. Way easier than I expected it to be.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Already sold mine for a nice little profit. Decided it wasn't worth it to keep it. I have almost all those games in some other form. Watched a video of someone playing Starfox 2 and it looked pretty junky to me.

Anyways, profits!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just picked mine up from a Toys R Us about 5 minutes away from my office. They had more console vouchers than the amount of people in line, so I think Nintendo is being true to their word on the amount of units that will be available for purchase.

Can't wait to get into Super Mario RPG & Secret of Mana. I missed out on those games when I was younger, and I like playing SNES games with a SNES controller. I'm a sucker for immersion.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Amazon Canada has some in stock for Prime Members only:
Make sure you buy the $99.99 from Amazon and not one of the re-sellers listed

Link:
Code:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0721GGGS9/

Edit: SOLD OUT

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just picked mine up.

Had a chat with the store manager, he said they received plenty of SNESs and there was a giant line up of people, none of whom actually had pre-orders, just buying it there on the spot. I dont think Nintendo were lying about the increased production.

Its like a little baby!

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I have early aceess to the mall so I lined up at EB games. They had about 50. Not many and by mall opening there llwas like 100 ppl there. still hard to get and Nintendo said by summer it'll be easy to get but I'm not editing 7-8 months.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Showed up at GameStop 2 and a half hours before opening and I was still the 2nd person in line

There were only about 15 people waiting by opening but the store only had 9 units available for walk-ins, I got mine, wrapped my arms around it tight and rushed home to get to playing

The unit is TINY, way smaller than I anticipated, it's freaking adorable

I spent the last 4 hours straight jumping around different games making some progress and I absolutely love this thing, I've gotta go to work now but I'm gonna spend an unreasonable amount of hours playing uninterrupted this Saturday, I think I'm gonna hop into FFIII once I can really play for an extended session

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Showed up at GameStop 2 and a half hours before opening and I was still the 2nd person in line

There were only about 15 people waiting by opening but the store only had 9 units available for walk-ins, I got mine, wrapped my arms around it tight and rushed home to get to playing

The unit is TINY, way smaller than I anticipated, it's freaking adorable

I spent the last 4 hours straight jumping around different games making some progress and I absolutely love this thing, I've gotta go to work now but I'm gonna spend an unreasonable amount of hours playing uninterrupted this Saturday, I think I'm gonna hop into FFIII once I can really play for an extended session
I want this but can't really justify $80.
Eh I know u can use an emulator all all that with pii but the look and feel brings back memories. Besides to buy the carts would be 600-700 bucks. and this thing will be fully hackable in a few weeks to have all the SNES games on it. That is fantastic IMO and worth 80 alone.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I walked into Target and Best Buy this afternoon, just on the off chance they had one - Target has some Switches, Best Buy didn't have any oddly enough.

Didn't see a SNES classic in either store. Like the NES classic, I think they're cute, but in typical Nintendo fashion, I'll likely never see one in person; they're just screw up the S&D because it's what they do.

But there's likely plenty on Ebay at inflated prices.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I walked into Target and Best Buy this afternoon, just on the off chance they had one - Target has some Switches, Best Buy didn't have any oddly enough.

Didn't see a SNES classic in either store. Like the NES classic, I think they're cute, but in typical Nintendo fashion, I'll likely never see one in person; they're just screw up the S&D because it's what they do.

But there's likely plenty on Ebay at inflated prices.

Nintendo is starting to get a clue, they released a lot more SNES classics on day one than they did for the entire release of the NES classic. I imagine they're going to dump a lot more of them before the holidays, and I think I read they're going to release some more NES classics in 2018. You might not get one in the next month or so, but you'll probably get one in the next 6 months.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm going to wait it out to try and get both systems when the post-hype surge comes through. It'll happen sooner or later and I can be patient.

a friend of mine got one from his mom because she told the clerk she wanted to get it for a kid with cancer in the hospital

Your friend's mom is kind of a monster. That's really, really, really low.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Eh I know u can use an emulator all all that with pii but the look and feel brings back memories. Besides to buy the carts would be 600-700 bucks. and this thing will be fully hackable in a few weeks to have all the SNES games on it. That is fantastic IMO and worth 80 alone.
If someone is that worried about the money AND willing to do hacks then there is no reason to even spend $80. At that point it becomes a piece of plastic shaped like a tiny SNES.... for $80.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Its everywhere. Just get a pi blah blah blah. Yah well piss off I know I can do that and I don't want it. I like it its 100% true. they puff out their chest like they are so superior haha. Its like those cord cutters saying get kodi or popcorn. Yeesh

Also its not free you still gotta buy the pi, a case, and controllers.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If someone is that worried about the money AND willing to do hacks then there is no reason to even spend $80. At that point it becomes a piece of plastic shaped like a tiny SNES.... for $80.

That's missing the point. You're not paying $80 for a piece of plastic shaped like an SNES. You're paying ~$50 for the hardware--about the same as you'd spend on a Pi (including case, controllers and SD card)--and another $30 for the right to legally own the games. Think of them as costing about a buck apiece, like a song. Naturally, you can save the latter $30 by building a Pi, but then it would be nothing but a piece of plastic until you loaded ROMs onto it that you haven't paid for.

Even if any of us don't care about the legality or ethics when it comes to our personal use, there are still other circumstances. For example, there's no way that I'm going to give a Pi preloaded with illegal ROMs to my little nephew for Christmas, but I might give him a mini SNES. Similarly, those who have their own young kids may be reluctant to give a Pi to or use a Pi around their kids, lest they get the impression at a young age that daddy steals, so it can't be bad. There's also just the good feeling that you're doing the right thing and supporting Nintendo. There are plenty of good reasons to have for buying a mini SNES over building a Pi. We shouldn't just assume that everyone values the same things as we do.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Guys, As was the case with the NES, you CANNOT talk about how or where to get materials and ROMs for hacking the console or creating an alternative that runs ROMs. Whatever questionable moral or ethical arguments you want to throw out there, it's still illegal and HF does not and will not support the use of its site to condone or aid in the carrying out of illegal activities.

This thread is about the NES/SNES Classic consoles as they are from the manufacturer. It is not about the Pi, nor is it about modifying the consoles to accept illegal additional software. Any further discussion of those topics will result in post deletions, potential infractions, and could lead to you being removed from the thread. Please, knock it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad