Speculation: Necas to Nashville

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
For the record, Necas has never played center for Carolina. There have been opportunities to try him there and the coaches haven’t done it. I trust their player evaluation enough to feel like that’s because he’s just a winger at the NHL level.

If they have to make a choice between the two long-term, they will pick Jarvis. Necas has game breaking speed, but Jarvis is the more well-rounded player. His current usage says it all (shutdown minutes with Staal, 1st PP, a regular PK shift). Fortunately, they don’t have to make that decision right now or even this Summer.

Adding goals is the correct approach but to adjust your point, Necas isn't a C and hasn't played it at the NHL level.
Thanks,:thumbu:

Reactions: herzausstein

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Most fans: “Our team rocks! Here is our Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd.”

Canes fans: “Actually, we can’t trade this guy since he’s a key player. So I’m not sure we can do this trade.”

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There’s no recent comp for Saros. This Summer, Kuemper (to Colorado) enters the conversation to a degree. Deadline 2025, there’s Lehner (to Vegas) and Bishop (to L.A.). Maybe Miller (to St. Louis) too, if you want to stretch age a little.

Is an extra playoff run worth an exorbitant premium? To me, doubtful. There’s room to argue the opposite if you want to, however.

Reactions: Tryamw and Viqsi

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
There’s no recent comp for Saros. This Summer, Kuemper (to Colorado) enters the conversation to a degree. Deadline 2025, there’s Lehner (to Vegas) and Bishop (to L.A.). Maybe Miller (to St. Louis) too, if you want to stretch age a little.

Is an extra playoff run worth an exorbitant premium? To me, doubtful. There’s room to argue the opposite if you want to, however.
Keumper is a reasonable comparison:

31 at the time vs Saros at 28. Keumper had 1 season left when dealt in the off-season; Saros has 1 season after the end of this one and a playoff run.

Keumper's previous 3 seasons:
2.33 / .925 (18-19)
2.22 / .928 (19-20) + 3.47 / .913 playoffs
2.56 / .907 (20-21)

Saros's current and previous 2 seasons:
2.64 / .918
2.69 / .919
2.97 / .903 (this year)

Keumper went for a 1st, a 3rd, and Timmins, who had played 33 games over 2 seasons with Colorado after being drafted in the 2nd round.

So what takes Saros from that package up to Necas, who is coming off a 71 point season?

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Keumper is a reasonable comparison:

31 at the time vs Saros at 28. Keumper had 1 season left when dealt in the off-season; Saros has 1 season after the end of this one and a playoff run.

Keumper's previous 3 seasons:
2.33 / .925 (18-19)
2.22 / .928 (19-20) + 3.47 / .913 playoffs
2.56 / .907 (20-21)

Saros's current and previous 2 seasons:
2.64 / .918
2.69 / .919
2.97 / .903 (this year)

Keumper went for a 1st, a 3rd, and Timmins, who had played 33 games over 2 seasons with Colorado after being drafted in the 2nd round.

So what takes Saros from that package up to Necas, who is coming off a 71 point season?
I'd be curious about GSAx comparisons between the two given Saros's reputation for stealing games. But yeah - from our perspective Saros is "obviously" better, from y'all's it'd be hard to make that case.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Most fans: “Our team rocks! Here is our Halak, Ryder, and a 2nd.”

Canes fans: “Actually, we can’t trade this guy since he’s a key player. So I’m not sure we can do this trade.”
What thread are you reading? I think it has been a good thread up to date till.....

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
For the record, Necas has never played center for Carolina. There have been opportunities to try him there and the coaches haven’t done it. I trust their player evaluation enough to feel like that’s because he’s just a winger at the NHL level.
I mean hasn't it just been the same coach

But the main worry is if necas keeps thinking he is a center won't that affect contracts going forward ?

And that tall guy on Buffalo proves that you can randomly break out at center when you're older lol

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I mean hasn't it just been the same coach

But the main worry is if necas keeps thinking he is a center won't that affect contracts going forward ?

And that tall guy on Buffalo proves that you can randomly break out at center when you're older lol

For every Thompson, there are 3 Nylander/Reinhart/Laine-types. Rod Brind'Amour knows the position well; if he doesn't think Necas is a center, that's pretty compelling evidence in my mind.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get for everyone else comparables matter, but right now for Trotz they don't. He's basically in the position of you either pay for him or he is more than happy keeping him.

Now that may change drastically in the offseason but sitting here today the offers don't really change that much unless someone get desperate, which is what he is banking on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad