Speculation: Necas to Nashville

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Retaining 50% on Forsberg? Otherwise I don‘t see any upgrade over Necas.
Forgive me for assuming Forsberg is untouchable.

I could absolutely see Carolina moving Necas in a Forsberg deal, although I doubt Carolina would want to pay the added price for retention.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Idk but if Nashville can see him in that roll or want to try him there that would be why they make the trade
Looks through the stats, it looks like carolina tried that for part of 1 season and bailed. Doesnt really seem like a great plan tbh unless they see something carolina missed. He's pretty abysmal at faceoffs as well.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not that he would be the be all-end all solution but I do think the scales would balance out at least a bit if Nyquist was added to the deal.

A very reliable and versatile veteran player with some offensive punch. A perfect middle-six winger for a team like Carolina.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
When I look at Nashville's roster and identify the player I think would fit the best in Carolina and be at a price Carolina would be willing to pay, it's either Forsberg or ROR.

The fact that Carolina would target Nashville's top need (center) is the main reason I don't see anything getting done here.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Feels like Novak/Carrier would be more sensible targets for CAR, though not sure on NSH's appetite to deal the former...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Feels like Novak/Carrier would be more sensible targets for CAR, though not sure on NSH's appetite to deal the former...
There's some fans that would like to move him because of his defensive issues. I'm not sure if that'd make this effectively a lateral move tho.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I'm curious, how much is Necas getting on a 8-yr deal this summer?
In my mind we should expect between 6.5-8.5.
Possibly closer to 8.5 because of the cap rise starting this year... but again Svech is only making 7.75, hard to reconcile.
I'd like to hear opinions of people who know him better.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Possibly closer to 8.5 because of the cap rise starting this year... but again Svech is only making 7.75, hard to reconcile.
In CAR, he’s not getting Svechnikov money. He might be worth $7M, but I don’t know if he gets that in Raleigh. At $3M right now and with what he brings to a team like CAR in terms of offensive production and creativity (albeit inconsistent), I’m guessing his internal worth to the Canes far surpasses Saros or similar goalie.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Thanks in advance

Canes don’t have to give him term. He wouldn’t like it, but they can punt for a year. Arbitration is leverage for the team in this case. Recent post-bridge (2 RFA years remaining) 1 year deals: Fiala ($5.1 mil), Reinhart ($5.2 mil), Bratt ($5.45 mil). He can then be traded as an RFA in 2025.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
As much as I'd love Saros on the Leafs he really is a perfect fit for the canes. If Carolina aquire Saros and only has to give up Necas they'd be my favorite for the cup this year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
As much as I'd love Saros on the Leafs he really is a perfect fit for the canes. If Carolina aquire Saros and only has to give up Necas they'd be my favorite for the cup this year.

I see this sentiment a lot on this site. I don’t get it. Goaltending has not held the team back in this era. Offense, particularly the PP, has. 1.76 GF/G across the 5 series that the team has lost. And this is a high scoring era.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I see this sentiment a lot on this site. I don’t get it. Goaltending has not held the team back in this era. Offense, particularly the PP, has. 1.76 GF/G across the 5 series that the team has lost. And this is a high scoring era.
And goes completely against how the front office has operated in the Dundon era.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don't see CAR and NAS as good trade partners in general but it's a pretty easy no from the Canes perspective on this. Necas should get locked up this offseason along with Jarvis. Canes will be moving on from Teuvo or if they re-sign him it's gonna be at a lower amount. The money will be there for the young guys. Canes Cap structure is very well balanced and depending on what happens with Skjei/Pesce in the off-season then I'm not too worried about the money.

Reactions: Tryamw

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
In your opinion then which player addition would be most likely to propel the canes towards atleast a cup final ? I'm not being snarky, it's a legitimate question.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In your opinion then which player addition would be most likely to propel the canes towards atleast a cup final ? I'm not being snarky, it's a legitimate question.

Pavel Buchnevich, if made available. Increase the quality forward depth as much as possible. The trade market for Carolina is really unfavorable this year in that regard.

There are teams that need a goalie to elevate a questionable team defense. There are also teams that have the team defense to elevate a goalie (see Vegas last year). Carolina is among the latter. Raanta had a .922/2.26 in 2022 playoffs. Andersen was .927/1.83 in 2023. Hard to blame them indirectly.

Svechnikov and/or Necas and/or Jarvis really need to take a step to support Aho, who’s been on an island offensively. That will define Carolina’s season in the end more than goaltending, imo.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pavel Buchnevich, if made available. Increase the quality forward depth as much as possible. The trade market for Carolina is really unfavorable this year in that regard.

There are teams that need a goalie to elevate a questionable team defense. There are also teams that have the team defense to elevate a goalie (see Vegas last year). Carolina is among the latter. Raanta had a .922/2.26 in 2022 playoffs. Andersen was .927/1.83 in 2023. Hard to blame them indirectly.

Svechnikov and/or Necas and/or Jarvis really need to take a step to support Aho, who’s been on an island offensively. That will define Carolina’s season in the end more than goaltending, imo.
Exactly. Detracting from our offence is the opposite direction we need to be going in. Defence and Goaltending have rarely been the issue in the playoffs. Like could they have been better? Sure. But Canes have generally lost in the playoffs because offence/special teams (PP) couldn't get it done.

We can trade a forward... but not a top forward. We have depth for days we don't have enough game breakers. Aho CAN be that guy. Svech CAN be that guy. Necas CAN be that guy. But it's usually just Aho being Aho and the rest of the forwards who need to score not elevate their game. That's why we see Martinook, Staal, JWilliams, McGinn have hero moments in the playoffs. It's rarely the 'big guns'.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Is the logic behind moving Necas because Jarvis can replace him? Jarvis is having a nice breakout season, but I don't see trading a quality center in his prime like Necas in-season as the prudent thing to do. I think if he were available, there'd be a long list of teams making offers.

I'd be inclined to go with Kochetkov and add goals instead.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for this, it was insightful.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is the logic behind moving Necas because Jarvis can replace him? Jarvis is having a nice breakout season, but I don't see trading a quality center in his prime like Necas in-season as the prudent thing to do. I think if he were available, there'd be a long list of teams making offers.

Adding goals is the correct approach but to adjust your point, Necas isn't a C and hasn't played it at the NHL level.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

For the record, Necas has never played center for Carolina. There have been opportunities to try him there and the coaches haven’t done it. I trust their player evaluation enough to feel like that’s because he’s just a winger at the NHL level.

If they have to make a choice between the two long-term, they will pick Jarvis. Necas has game breaking speed, but Jarvis is the more well-rounded player. His current usage says it all (shutdown minutes with Staal, 1st PP, a regular PK shift). Fortunately, they don’t have to make that decision right now or even this Summer.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
For the record, Necas has never played center for Carolina. There have been opportunities to try him there and the coaches haven’t done it. I trust their player evaluation enough to feel like that’s because he’s just a winger at the NHL level.

If they have to make a choice between the two long-term, they will pick Jarvis. Necas has game breaking speed, but Jarvis is the more well-rounded player. His current usage says it all (shutdown minutes with Staal, 1st PP, a regular PK shift). Fortunately, they don’t have to make that decision right now or even this Summer.
I don't see us having to make a choice between the two of them but yeah, you gotta go with Jarvis based on what he's showing this year at 21. Higher ceiling is Necas and we need his speed and offensive magic in the lineup but when he's not cooking he's not always bringing a ton of value on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad