Speculation: Necas to Nashville

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hello all,

In one of the latest Jeff Marek Show they speculated about a potential Saros for Necas swap. Thought this was thread-worthy as it sounds reasonable for both parties.

How are we feeling about this potential base for a trade?

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yup. It’s going to happen.

Andrew Brunette can fix Necas and unlock his potential

Reactions: BHD

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey, Boom, big fan of your stuff when I lurk the Canes forum, but sorry I don’t buy it.

I think he can put up 90 points on the Predators
You might be right, but I won't bank on it either. I'm a big fan of Necas (as you probably know from my posts) and he brings an element Carolina doesn't have in anyone else.

He's got consistency issues though, where he seems to lose confidence at times and his play suffers. I'm just not sure how much of that is because of "playing in Carolina" vs. something he'll always deal with.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, right now it looks that way. Why do you think it is unlikely, though?
I think in the off-season, if they can't come to terms with him, the Canes could move him. They've been shown, in the past, a willingness to trade RFAs in those situations.

I think this proposal doesn't make sense to me though for the following reasons:

1) Carolina got eliminated from last year's playoffs because they scored only 6 goals in 4 games against Florida (really the equivalent of 5 games with the 4 OT periods). With Kotkaniemi not being a top 6 player and Bunting being horrible at defense, they really can't afford to lose any of Aho, Jarvis, Necas or Svechnikov WITHOUT adding a legit scoring top 6 forward or two in return.

Canes aren't getting through the playoffs with only 4 top 6 players: Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Teravainan no matter who is in goal. They need to ADD a top 6 player, not subtract 1.

2) Goalies don't typically return a player of Necas's caliber. I'll never say never, but I'd be surprised if it happens in this case.

3) Saros will want way more than the Canes will be willing to pay in an extension.

4)IMO, scoring depth is way more of a need in Carolina than goaltending.

Like I said, I've learned to never say never with this front office, but that's why a deal like this doesn't make sense to me right now. In the off-season? with more pieces and parts? Maybe.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think in the off-season, if they can't come to terms with him, the Canes could move him. They've been shown, in the past, a willingness to trade RFAs in those situations.

I think this proposal doesn't make sense to me though for the following reasons:

1) Carolina got eliminated from last year's playoffs because they scored only 6 goals in 4 games against Florida (really the equivalent of 5 games with the 4 OT periods). With Kotkaniemi not being a top 6 player and Bunting being horrible at defense, they really can't afford to lose any of Aho, Jarvis, Necas or Svechnikov WITHOUT adding a legit scoring top 6 forward or two in return.

Canes aren't getting through the playoffs with only 4 top 6 players: Aho, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Teravainan no matter who is in goal. They need to ADD a top 6 player, not subtract 1.

2) Goalies don't typically return a player of Necas's caliber. I'll never say never, but I'd be surprised if it happens in this case.

3) Saros will want way more than the Canes will be willing to pay in an extension.

Like I said, I've learned to never say never with this front office, but that's why a deal like this doesn't make sense to me right now. In the off-season? with more pieces and parts? Maybe.

goalies like Saros at his age aren’t traded. It’s going to cost the acquiring team something

Like I said, I've learned to never say never with this front office, but that's why a deal like this doesn't make sense to me right now. In the off-season? with more pieces and parts?
cost will be higher being able to negotiate an extension.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
goalies like Saros at his age aren’t traded. It’s going to cost the acquiring team something
I'm not suggesting it won't cost something. I just disagree that the "something" is Necas. Like I said, I'll never say never, but until I see a goalie with 1.5 years left on his deal garner a return like that, I'll remain skeptical.

Secondly, as I explained, losing a top 6 forward (which we are already 1-2 short on) and gaining a goalie makes Carolina a worse team IMO.

In the offseason it will be a different situation. Just talking about before the deadline.
cost will be higher being able to negotiate an extension.
It's irrelevant. You can't negotiate an extension until July 1st. That can't be part of any trade equation right now. In the off-season? Sure, but it's irrelevant right now.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
@Boom Boom Apathy perfectly summarized why this trade is a pipe dream for Nashville.

I’ll also add that Saros isn’t even an upgrade on Kochetkov this season.

I think the biggest reason is the fact that Saros is already making the upper limit of what the FO is willing to allocate for a #1 goaltender, and there is next to no chance that they would pony up the cap space for what he will command in his next contract.

I know the narrative is that Necas is being held back in Carolina, but Rod understands the type of talent he is, and lets him do his thing, which is why he can be frustrating to watch sometimes. Another coach isn’t going to “unlock” him, but he may put up more points with different players, which Nashville doesn’t have.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Some good discussion in here so far. Thanks for the insight Canes fans.

It does sound odd that a team struggling to find offense would trade one of their best offensive weapons.

Which brings us to this, should we make this trade bigger? Add some offense from NSH's side, perhaps?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

This is the core issue. If Carolina is trading for a goalie, they are likely trading from picks, prospects, and possibly D depth.

So if Nashville wants Necas, the question is what top 6 forward is going back to Carolina instead of Saros? I don't see one Nashville will be willing to part with that returns Necas, which brings this to an impasse.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

It does sound odd that a team struggling to find offense would trade one of their best offensive weapons.

Which brings us to this, should we make this trade bigger? Add some offense from NSH's side, perhaps?
Find a way to balance it and have JK included if Bruno and Trotz think they could develop him into a legitimate 1C then maybe they could work this out. Otherwise, nashville is setting themselves up to have Necas centered by some subpar center unless they just cram him on the first line with ROR and Forsberg which just kindof negates the point of trading for more firepower. Putting Necas with McCarron, Sissons, or Jankowski is going to drag him down and Glass has drug everyone down this season.

This is the core issue. If Carolina is trading for a goalie, they are likely trading from picks, prospects, and possibly D depth.

So if Nashville wants Necas, the question is what top 6 forward is going back to Carolina instead of Saros? I don't see one Nashville will be willing to part with that returns Necas, which brings this to an impasse.
Could i interest you in Nyquist? Other then that, it's all prospects and hopefuls

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

Retaining 50% on Forsberg? Otherwise I don‘t see any upgrade over Necas.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Can't see the Canes trading Necas, especially for a goalie. Even though Saros is a good one, but goalies are weird lol

I don't follow Carolina that much, but I thought Kochetkov was pretty good? I saw the game the other day against Dallas, and he made alot of big saves. He stopped 3 breakaways and some other decent chances. That game could have been alot worse, at least imo

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Cant wait to see Necas centered by McCarron or Sissons or maybe Jankowski 🤫. Really unlock his potential
You would play him as first line center with forsberg as his winger? Idk I would be curious just because I have him on fantasy. But he's wanted to play center I believe

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Can't see the Canes trading Necas, especially for a goalie. Even though Saros is a good one, but goalies are weird lol

I don't follow Carolina that much, but I thought Kochetkov was pretty good? I saw the game the other day against Dallas, and he made alot of big saves. He stopped 3 breakaways and some other decent chances. That game could have been alot worse, at least imo
Outside of letting in a goal from the red line against Colorado, Kochetkov has been fine over the past few weeks.

I don’t see the Canes trading for any goalie with term this deadline. Andersen is signed for 2 more year and Kochetkov for 3 more. With so many players on their current roster up for new deals this summer, I can’t see them adding a goalie at $5M until they have clarity on Andersen.

Also, will say it again, players like Necas don’t get traded for goalies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Kochetkov has been very streaky, although he's been better when he gets to play consistently.

Even last week when he had the best GAA in the NHL he had an absolutely awful Darling-esque goal where he whiffed on a pop-up from outside the blue line. He also had a terrible stretch early in the season.

I think he's the plan for the future. The question is whether the future starts now with him as a #1. I think Carolina is more likely to look for a 1B or #2 since Raanta can't stay healthy, Andersen is still determining if he can ever return to play, and Martin is the current backup.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Outside of letting in a goal from the red line against Colorado, Kochetkov has been fine over the past few weeks.

I don’t see the Canes trading for any goalie with term this deadline. Andersen is signed for 2 more year and Kochetkov for 3 more. With so many players on their current roster up for new deals this summer, I can’t see them adding a goalie at $5M until they have clarity on Andersen.

Also, will say it again, players like Necas don’t get traded for goalies.
Kochetkov is 3 more years, but Andersen expires after 24-25. So their UFA/trade plans this offseason at goalie are determined by whether Andersen can play again.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Want to play center all you want but at 25 if you havent really played center at the NHL level what are the chances you are going to suddenly start playing as a 1C?
Idk but if Nashville can see him in that roll or want to try him there that would be why they make the trade

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00