GDT: necas scores two goals as hurricanes win in edmonton gdt

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Glad he wasn't killed in that one bad game that one time... someone help me before I dig deeper Why did you hand me a shovel ?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The Canes looked like shit tonight. They couldn't control the puck to save their lives. They just happened to put the puck in the net without requiring possession to do it. It just came down to them shooting lights out, fortunately for us.

Escape with 2.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
We're usually on the other side of a game where the shots are 51-21, so I'll take the 2 points and shut my mouth.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Lost in the jubilation of an actual win is that the Canes played like refried dog shit with a couple notable exceptions.

Jordan and Slavin were ridiculous tonight.

Carrick was as bad or worse than Dahlbeck so whoever was bemoaning him being sent down before, yeah no he isn’t good either. I don’t think he played a shift in the 3rd.

Reactions: DaveG

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I specifically remember one shift where Necas got manhandled pretty badly and then I didn't see him the rest of the night. Hopefully he plays better Thursday.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Canes looked like **** tonight. They couldn't control the puck to save their lives. They just happened to put the puck in the net without requiring possession to do it. It just came down to them shooting lights out, fortunately for us.

Escape with 2.

True.

Something this team does going back to last year that really annoys me is, they let the other team dictate what the game is going to be like. Playing a team like Columbus that plays it tight to the vest, we try to mirror that. Play Edmonton who wants to make it a track meet, and we mirror that too. It's good to be adaptable and win different ways, but you also need to be able to impose your will and play your game, make them chase you instead.

Having said that, with our relative lack of finish on offense and ability to stop guys like McDavid on defense, I actually think we're tactically speaking maybe a little better off to play run and gun. It's not pretty but the defense and goaltending is good enough to overcome sloppiness and come up with enough big plays to offset the difference.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Peters: Wouldn't want to try to win too many games with that recipe, but we got away with it here tonight.

That about sums it up.
Sounds about right.

Too used to it being the case where we outshoot a team by 20-30, and get absolutely manhandled on the scoreboard. That San Jose game from last year most prevalent in my mind.

Reactions: Roboturner913

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Better to win ugly than lose pretty. Don't remember who said that, Brett Hull?

Anyways, nice to be on the winning side of these outshoot the opposite side and lose. Feels good.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
We improved after last nights performance. 10th in East and 6th in metro. See what our terri-bull Schedule has caused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad