Player Discussion: Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe.

The Jets' FO certainly think he's going to be better than I do.

I think Pionk has top 4 potential, he's pretty good offensively, needs to improve defensively........keep in mind he was on brutal team with little help most nights.

Only surprise to me was no conditional pick attached to the deal.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Analytics hate him but it has been said that teams around the league have a much better view of him than the numbers would suggest.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I am not mad a Pionk.
I just want him out of here and never want to see him in a Jets uniform.

Good riddance to these ****ty Rangers players.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the return either but Pionk is certainly better than the alternatives we have at the position at the moment.

We have Byfuglien and... that's it, just Byfuglien now.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I am not mad a Pionk.
I just want him out of here and never want to see him in a Jets uniform.

Good riddance to these ****ty Rangers players.

dsc_15940_welcomesign.jpg

Can’t change the trade now. May as well see what we have with him.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Pionk (RD)is from Hermantown Min. Went to Min Duluth and left college years ago to go pro. just b4 they won there first national championship.

Sam-Berg (LD) from Hernantown Minn. and attends Min. Duluth for 2 years since.... Pionk went pro.

Small world.....

Reactions: Jet

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm not entirely satisfied with the return either but Pionk is certainly better than the alternatives we have at the position at the moment.

We have Byfuglien and... that's it, just Byfuglien now.

We gifted a top defenseman for next to nothing.

We gifted our first round draft pick and Lemieux for nothing.

To the same f***ing team.

giphy.gif

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Will maurice even play this guy??? He will probably stay on third pairing be alternated from the PB

Rangers fans say he was used mostly on pp we have buff on first pp morrisey on 2nd whatz this guy going to do for us ?

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

We gifted our first round draft pick and Lemiuex for nothing.

To the same ****ing team.

giphy.gif

Chicago gifted us Byfuglien and Ladd after winning the cup in separate trades. Winnipeg had to deal Trouba because they couldn't afford him, took the best offer they received, and will move on. I was reading that Winnipeg was shopping Perreault's contract in a deal also but no one would offer a 1st rounder if he was part of the package.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Chicago gifted us Byfuglien and Ladd after winning the cup in separate trades. Winnipeg had to deal Trouba because they couldn't afford him, took the best offer they received, and will move on. I was reading that Winnipeg was shopping Perreault's contract in a deal also but no one would offer a 1st rounder if he was part of the package.

Was that shitty offer the Rangers gave Chevy really the best offer available.
Chevy is a f***ing idiot to not wait until the draft to move Trouba.

He got hosed by the Rangers twice in the same year.
Fire this shit for brains gm.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Pionk has top 4 potential, he's pretty good offensively, needs to improve defensively........keep in mind he was on brutal team with little help most nights.

Only surprise to me was no conditional pick attached to the deal.

Yeah not sure why Chevy couldn't get a conditional pick added to the deal. A 2020 lottery protected 1st rounder would have made this better. Now watch Trouba sign long term with the Rags and Hayes resign with them and we basically gave up Trouba for Pionk...

I think we probably roll

MoJo - Buff
Kulikov - Pionk
Niku - Chiarot/Beaulieu/Poolman

Man we are taking a major step back next year, especially if Buff or Wheeler slow down in any way.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

We gifted our first round draft pick and Lemieux for nothing.

To the same ****ing team.

giphy.gif

Hey now we didn't gift them our first round pick... we got it back.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah not sure why Chevy couldn't get a conditional pick added to the deal. A 2020 lottery protected 1st rounder would have made this better. Now watch Trouba sign long term with the Rags and Hayes resign with them and we basically gave up Trouba for Pionk...

I think we probably roll

MoJo - Buff
Kulikov - Pionk
Niku - Chiarot/Beaulieu/Poolman

Man we are taking a major step back next year, especially if Buff or Wheeler slow down in any way.

Myers is still in the picture, for better or worse depending on his contract.

No more OS threat, no more cap issues. Cap is an asset.

If Pionk or the pick ever become top 4 or top 6 player and the Rangers don't sign Trouba......Chevy won that trade. Rangers are still going to be a non playoff team even with Trouba......so this trade is bad for then unless they actually sign him......if they do then Chevy lost the deal.

20th OA is a decent pick.

Pionk has top 4 potentional and could easily be a 30+ point guy next year......he just needs to keep working on his defensive game and he has the IQ to do it.

But yeh our defence unit overall is going to be rougher without Trouba......but that was a given regardless of what any realistic return was going to be.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

If Pionk or the pick ever become top 4 or top 6 player and the Rangers don't sign Trouba......Chevy won that trade. Rangers are still going to be a non playoff team even with Trouba......so this trade is bad for then unless they actually sign him......if they do then Chevy lost the deal.

Pionk has top 4 potentional and could easily be a 30+ point guy next year......he just needs to keep working on his defensive game and he has the IQ to do it.

But yeh our defence unit overall is going to be rougher without Trouba......but that was a given regardless of what any realistic return was going to be.

Yeah but that is a lot of wishful thinking for an established player.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

Rangers can easily flip Trouba to a contender for another first and prospect if they can't sign him long-term. They are firmly in the driver's seat and don't necessarily need a player like Trouba right now like the Jets do.

Pionk was undrafted, had his ceiling skyrocket after a few good seasons and then crashed firmly back down to earth. Remember, it's been proven time and time again that defenders aren't late growers by any means and likely have reached their potential at ages 23-25:

surv-evovwar-positions.png

Trouba has proven since he was 20 that he was capable of a top 4 role. Pionk is no where close.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy said a few things about Pionk in his interview that were a bit encouraging.
F
he said that according to everyone they talked with, he's a very competitive player. If so, he can still improve.

Second, he noted that he thought Pionk might benefit in a different roster environment. Some young D get hammered in big minute roles on bad teams.

Third, he specifically noted that he thought Pionk might be more effective with the Jets forward talent because of his good passing. I do think that has been a weakness on the Jets D. Myers and Trouba are poor passers and impede the transition game. Only Morrissey and Buff are good passers with vision. With Niku and Pionk, maybe the Jets will be better able to transition quickly.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy said a few things about Pionk in his interview that were a bit encouraging.
F
he said that according to everyone they talked with, he's a very competitive player. If so, he can still improve.

Second, he noted that he thought Pionk might benefit in a different roster environment. Some young D get hammered in big minute roles on bad teams.

Third, he specifically noted that he thought Pionk might be more effective with the Jets forward talent because of his good passing. I do think that has been a weakness on the Jets D. Myers and Trouba are poor passers and impede the transition game. Only Morrissey and Buff are good passers with vision. With Niku and Pionk, maybe the Jets will be better able to transition quickly.
Any link to the interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad