Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Pionk's agent's best argument during next years negotiation will be: 'Yeah I know it is a big ask, but you paid Nate Shit about the same, and look at how horribad he is!'

Reactions: sipowicz

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Ya, he showed some signs of being capable of 2nd pair RD in the past, last years playoffs he was really good, especially when JoMo was out. He literally setup every comeback goal in the double OT game and played tons.

That said, he's a 3rd pair D, 2nd PP. Less minutes and sheltered he'd be effective. He can move the puck well sometimes, he can get shots through well but he gets exposed when he plays to 4 minutes against top players.

Reactions: WolfHouse

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The team has to move on from one of Schmidt or Pionk... those contracts are killing the cap

They're only killing the cap if they're preventing them from using it elsewhere. Are there realistic moves they can't make because of their cap?

Reactions: sipowicz

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk is fine , as long as he's not being played as a top 2 defenseman or playing against the oppositions best.

Keep him as a 3-4 or 5-6 and he might not struggle as much.
Pionk was getting the 3rd most minutes all year. Over 2 minutes more per game than Dillon, less than a minute less than DeMelo. Less of Pionk would certainly be better...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Think at the time of the deal, many including myself thought it may be a good deal given the season he had, and considering it was next to Forbort.

I figured the Jets would improve on his partner (which they did) and could perhaps sustain that level of play (which he did not) as he got more experience. Thankful its not more than 4 years.

For a while, early this season, he seemed to be rebounding. That made a buyout of Schmidt look better. But it didn't last long. And Schmidt rebounded, at least a little.

I can't see trading either one, even with max retention, unless we add valuable assets. It isn't worth that with only 1 year to go for each but I would be happy to see either of them bought out this off-season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most, it not all, thought it was a good deal - myself included.
There was an interesting thread from back in 2019 (before he signed the big contract) with a discussion on what he was worth - some of the numbers thrown around were out to lunch.
Here's a post I did in that thread - and I got hammered for it (also interesting is that you were the only poster to agree with my comments).
Side note - this is not to say I have any better view of a player than anyone else - but I think I had this one pegged.

Neal Pionk Part 2 (Nov 11, 2019)

"What I'm saying is that I don't think he is worth the money that is being discussed in this thread -
He played well LY but against a backdrop of poor defenders, he looked better than he is.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't shown that style of game consistently. His history has not shown us that he is a physical dman or an aggressive one.

I'm concerned that he gave it his all LY - meaning everything he had to give and he did it knowing this year was payday year. Don't get me wrong - we want our players to leave it all out there. But, I don't think a player of his size (and speed) will be able to continue to play this style going forward. I don't believe his skill level alone warrants $6M+

I also have concerns that he will even try to play that type of game after he is signed. It's super risky for these smaller guys to play on the edge through their career - the odds are, it will catch up with him and I think he is smart enough to realize that. I feel he might revert back to a safer game after the contact is signed.

My opinion is just a hunch - I don't know what he will bring after the money is determined.

I hope I am wrong because the Jets are likely going to pay him - then again, Chevy may be struggling with the value here - I wouldn't be surprised

Not sure what your Myers comments means in relation to my post - I didn't suggest size is the key to choosing Dmen.

What I did say is that small / slow Dmen is a poor combination for a top 4 player."

If I didn't agree with that back then, I should have. :laugh:
You nailed it.

Reactions: LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm kinda done opining on Pionk. Think he had some great stretches as a Jet and think he works hard and tries to make plays. Loved his one-time pestiness and ability to drive opponents crazy with smart, sneaky, physical play way beyond his poundage.

But he's one of those magical Jets who gets a complete pass from coaches and GM on his chaotic, panicky, slow-mo, penalty-heavy, big check missing, free pizza slinging, point shot whiffing, defence pair destroying, neutral-zone yielding, blind pass-making, stick-waving, goalie-screening play, forever.

He won't be called out, won't be benched, won't be bought out, unlikely to ever now improve enough to justify his contract or his minutes.

The only hope for defence-loving Jets fans is that whoever the new coach is shunts him down to the third pairing, cuts his special-team minutes and threatens to quit the team if he's extended.

:laugh: Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pionk is fine , as long as he's not being played as a top 2 defenseman or playing against the oppositions best.

Keep him as a 3-4 or 5-6 and he might not struggle as much.

He's been a 3-4 almost all of the time and he has been terrible.
As a 5-6 he might be less bad. At least he would have fewer minutes.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it's likely the Jets trade Schmidt with retention or buy him out.

Unfortunately Neal will play out his contract, hoping he figures out what's going on in his head and rebounds to become a useful bottom pair guy next year.

What a shame. He definitely had his moments.

Reactions: surixon and Buffdog

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think it's likely the Jets trade Schmidt with retention or buy him out.

Unfortunately Neal will play out his contract, hoping he figures out what's going on in his head and rebounds to become a useful bottom pair guy next year.

What a shame. He definitely had his moments.
Contract year for Pionk. He'll probably win the Norris 😉

Funny that Demelo and Dillon had career years this season.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Pionk doesn’t skate fast enough or process the play quick enough. He typically takes that extra second or two before he attempts a pass, dump in or shot allowing the opponent to gain the advantage. He’s been like that for a couple of years now.

The physical PITA from the Oilers playoff series a few years back is now a distant memory.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some sobering reading from the Athletic:

Neal Pionk struggled this season, makes $5.9 million and is scheduled to become a free agent in 2025. In most cases, this would put a target on him but he’s a big part of the team’s culture and played big minutes even on his most difficult days. I believe the plan is to play the situation out and re-evaluate at a different price point if they can.

Not only will Pionk not be bought out, he may be... re-signed.

If I were a Jets prospect fighting for a job, I'd make it my business to get right to the centre of that team culture. Right away. Even if it meant spending my free time learning how to ice-fish.

Reactions: surixon

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Neal Pionk struggled this season, makes $5.9 million and is scheduled to become a free agent in 2025. In most cases, this would put a target on him but he’s a big part of the team’s culture and played big minutes even on his most difficult days. I believe the plan is to play the situation out and re-evaluate at a different price point if they can.

If I were a Jets prospect fighting for a job, I'd make it my business to get right to the centre of that team culture. Right away. Even if it meant spending my free time learning how to ice-fish.
Buddy up with Hellebuck...profit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yikes. Well maybe they have to play him lower down the lineup. He's struggled for years now.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Culture is great and all, but at some point getting better and winning has to trump keeping an underperforming guy just because he’s good in the room.

Guys want to win. A better player improves culture too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad