NCAA Tournament brackets and schedule

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
So here's the NCAA Tournament regional brackets and TV schedules. FYI, ESPN3 is the webcast.

All times noted are EST.

The West and Northeast regionals begin on Friday, Mar. 29 and conclude on Saturday, Mar. 30.
The Midwest and East regionals begin on Saturday, Mar. 30 and conclude on Sunday, Mar. 31.

WEST REGIONAL

#1 Minnesota vs. #4 Yale @ 2pm on ESPNU
#2 North Dakota vs. #3 Niagara @ 5:30pm on ESPNU

Regional Final: Saturday @ 4pm on ESPNU

NORTHEAST REGIONAL

#1 UMass-Lowell vs. #4 Wisconsin @ 4:30pm on ESPN3 [re-aired on ESPNU @ 10:30pm]
#2 Denver vs. #3 New Hampshire @ 8pm on ESPNU

Regional Final: Saturday @ 6:30pm on ESPNU

MIDWEST REGIONAL

#1 Notre Dame vs. #4 St. Cloud State @ 1:30pm on ESPN3 [re-aired on ESPNU @12pm on Sunday]
#2 Miami vs. #3 Minnesota State-Mankato @ 5pm on ESPN3 [re-aired on ESPNU @ 2pm on Sunday]

Regional Final: Sunday @ 4pm on ESPNU

EAST REGIONAL

#1 Quinnipiac vs. #4 Canisius @ 5:30pm on ESPN3 [re-aired on ESPNU @ 11:30pm]
#2 Boston College vs. #3 Union College @ 9pm on ESPNU

Regional Final: Sunday @ 6:30pm on ESPNU

The winners of each regional will advance to the Frozen Four, which takes place on April 11 & 13 at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, PA.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
North Dakota, UMass-Lowell, Miami, and Boston College are my bets to make it to the Frozen Four.

If this holds true Lowell I guess will be the favorite being the top seed. But I don't think one team or the other have any great advantage over each other. But UND and BC do have a lot tournament experience between them.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm rather new to the NCAA. Why is Boston College in the regionals when they lost to Boston University in the playoffs?

The Conference playoffs are basically used to decide which team gets the automatic bid from the conference like in NCAA basketball.

For example the Michigan basketball team which was ranked top 10 in the country could have lost to Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament this year and they still would've easily made the NCAA Tournament. The only Penn State would've made it is if they won the Big Ten Tournament and got the automatic conference bid. If they wouldn't have won the conference, it wouldn't have mattered if they beat Michigan because their record was so bad.

BC is 22-11-4 on the season and BU is 21-16-2. BC has a higher RPI, Teams Under Consideration win percentage and pairwise ranking in addition to their better record.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
The Conference playoffs are basically used to decide which team gets the automatic bid from the conference like in NCAA basketball.

For example the Michigan basketball team which was ranked top 10 in the country could have lost to Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament this year and they still would've easily made the NCAA Tournament. The only Penn State would've made it is if they won the Big Ten Tournament and got the automatic conference bid. If they wouldn't have won the conference, it wouldn't have mattered if they beat Michigan because their record was so bad.

BC is 22-11-4 on the season and BU is 21-16-2. BC has a higher RPI, Teams Under Consideration win percentage and pairwise ranking in addition to their better record.

Correct and for Rob's information, the Pairwise Rankings (PWR) is based on such things as strength of schedule, records vs. ranked opponents (both within and outside of their conference) and so forth. If you'd like, I can post a link that explains it thoroughly that's also easy to understand by USCHO "bracketologist" Jayson Moy. IMO, he explains and breaks down the PWR better than anyone else in college hockey.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Fyi.....

For those of you that want to watch them on TV, there's some good news!

NESN will be simulcasting two NCAA Tournament match ups this weekend that are being carried live on ESPN3 (webcast):

The first is Friday's Northeast regional matchup between UMass-Lowell and Wisconsin @ 4:30pm EST.

The second is Saturday's East regional matchup between Quinnipiac and Canisius @5:30pm EST.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
4 of the last 5 times UND and MN have been in the tourney together the NCAA puts them in the same region. Why? Of course it's money.

Well both teams' fans, especially North Dakota's, also travel well too. (I know that I'm not telling you anything new here, Dakota). Heck, they could hold the NCAA Tournament on the moon and I guarantee that UND fans will find a way to get there.

rangerfan19

Sep 28, 2011
Here are the local RSN's that are going to be carrying games that aren't airing on ESPNU: (all times Eastern)

UMASS-Lowell vs. Wisconsin (4:30pm - Friday) - NESN, Time Warner Wisconsin, WHME, WHMB, WISC-TV, KQEG-TV, TWC Sports Ohio, WKBT-DT2 station in La Crosse-Eau Claire, TWC Upstate NY - Rochester, Buffalo, Albany -- link: es.pn/UWvsUML

Notre Dame vs. St. Cloud State (1:30pm - Saturday) - FSN North, Time Warner Wisconsin, WHME, TWC Sports Ohio, TWC Upstate NY - Rochester, Buffalo, Albany & Syracuse -- link: es.pn/SCSUvsUND

Miami (Ohio) vs. Minn. St. Mankato - (5pm - Saturday) - FSN North, Time Warner Wisconsin, WHME, and TWC Sports Ohio -- link: es.pn/MNSUvsMIAOH

Quinnipiac vs. Canisius - (5:30pm - Saturday) - NESN, Time Warner Upstate NY - Rochester, Buffalo, Albany & Syracuse -- link: es.pn/CANvsQUI

There shouldn't be any blackout restrictions so you can watch the games online on ESPN3 in those local markets as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was hoping we'd get to see Minnesota/North Dakota one more time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad