College Hockey NCAA Hockey II - Shawn McEachern to take over as Suffolk men’s hockey coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1654895635550.png

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

bigfrank21

Chara spoons it!
Jul 13, 2007
CT
A random musing from a lurker after the Montgomery hire...
[warning: prime offseason content forthcoming]

An interesting coaching tree (kinda/sorta, maybe only to me?) developing with roots across RPI, U Maine, and the Dubuque Fighting Saints

Montgomery
:
Played: U Maine ('89-'93) and was Captain​
Assistant Coach: RPI ('06-'10)​
- Was brought-in by Seth Appert, in his first head coaching role, having left an asst. coaching gig @ Denver under Gwozdecky
Head Coach: Dubuque Fighting Saints ('10-'13)​
Head Coach: U Denver ('13-'18)​
- Succeeded Gwozdecky

Ben Barr:
Played: RPI ('00-'04) and was Captain​
Assistant Coach: RPI '04-'05 and '07-'08 seasons​
- Coached alongside Jim Montgomery in '07-'08 under Seth Appert
Assistant Coach: Union College ('08-'12), Providence College ('12-'14), W. Mich U ('14-'16), and UMass ('16-'21)​
- Was hired by Nate Leaman at Union and followed Leaman to Providence
Head Coach: U Maine ('21-)​

Kirk MacDonald:
Played: RPI ('02-'07) and was Captain​
- Was a medical redshirt for '05-'06 (Schott: RPI's MacDonald ices cancer)​
- Played under Jim Montgomery (asst. coach) during '06-'07 season
- Played alongside Benn Barr for '02-'03 and '03-'04 seasons
Played: Reading Royals (ECHL) / Providence Bruins (AHL) '08-'13​
- Was a mainstay in the Providence lineup between '09-'12, earning an "A" in '11-'12
Assistant Coach: RPI ('13-'14)​
- Under Seth Appert
Assistant Coach: Reading Royals ('14-'17)​
Head Coach: Reading Royals ('17-'22)​
Head Coach: Dubuque Fighting Saints ('22-)​

Here is a cool article describing the intersection of Barr's coaching journey with that of Montgomery during the (unexpectedly tragic) search for the U Maine job:
Ken Ralph was the RPI Athletic Director from '02 through '07, Colorado College '07-'18, and now U Maine since '18

Here is an article describing MacDonald's coaching being influenced by Montgomery as well as by Bruce Cassidy:

Again, just kind of a neat intersection of lives and jobs - especially from my perspective as an RPI Alum and Bruins fan. I know at least @ODAAT will appreciate this post :)

If anyone happens to have additional color commentary or behind the scenes anecdotes, I'd be interested. I'm sure Kirk L or Divver are well entrenched in the player --> coach development circles with New England ties. This forum is about the closest I'll get to hearing those types of conversations.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A random musing from a lurker after the Montgomery hire...
[warning: prime offseason content forthcoming]

An interesting coaching tree (kinda/sorta, maybe only to me?) developing with roots across RPI, U Maine, and the Dubuque Fighting Saints

Montgomery
:
Played: U Maine ('89-'93) and was Captain​
Assistant Coach: RPI ('06-'10)​
- Was brought-in by Seth Appert, in his first head coaching role, having left an asst. coaching gig @ Denver under Gwozdecky
Head Coach: Dubuque Fighting Saints ('10-'13)​
Head Coach: U Denver ('13-'18)​
- Succeeded Gwozdecky

Ben Barr:
Played: RPI ('00-'04) and was Captain​
Assistant Coach: RPI '04-'05 and '07-'08 seasons​
- Coached alongside Jim Montgomery in '07-'08 under Seth Appert
Assistant Coach: Union College ('08-'12), Providence College ('12-'14), W. Mich U ('14-'16), and UMass ('16-'21)​
- Was hired by Nate Leaman at Union and followed Leaman to Providence
Head Coach: U Maine ('21-)​

Kirk MacDonald:
Played: RPI ('02-'07) and was Captain​
- Was a medical redshirt for '05-'06 (Schott: RPI's MacDonald ices cancer)​
- Played under Jim Montgomery (asst. coach) during '06-'07 season
- Played alongside Benn Barr for '02-'03 and '03-'04 seasons
Played: Reading Royals (ECHL) / Providence Bruins (AHL) '08-'13​
- Was a mainstay in the Providence lineup between '09-'12, earning an "A" in '11-'12
Assistant Coach: RPI ('13-'14)​
- Under Seth Appert
Assistant Coach: Reading Royals ('14-'17)​
Head Coach: Reading Royals ('17-'22)​
Head Coach: Dubuque Fighting Saints ('22-)​

Here is a cool article describing the intersection of Barr's coaching journey with that of Montgomery during the (unexpectedly tragic) search for the U Maine job:
Ken Ralph was the RPI Athletic Director from '02 through '07, Colorado College '07-'18, and now U Maine since '18

Here is an article describing MacDonald's coaching being influenced by Montgomery as well as by Bruce Cassidy:

Again, just kind of a neat intersection of lives and jobs - especially from my perspective as an RPI Alum and Bruins fan. I know at least @ODAAT will appreciate this post :)

If anyone happens to have additional color commentary or behind the scenes anecdotes, I'd be interested. I'm sure Kirk L or Divver are well entrenched in the player --> coach development circles with New England ties. This forum is about the closest I'll get to hearing those types of conversations.
great stuff, thanks

Reactions: rocketdan9

May 9, 2010
Weymouth

I'd love for more schools to have NCAA teams, but I can't see it happening unless someone with deep pockets gives them a massive donation to start a team (which may have to be two teams if they aren't Title IX compliant).

Illinois was very, very close for quite a while and squashed it in the last year.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'd love for more schools to have NCAA teams, but I can't see it happening unless someone with deep pockets gives them a massive donation to start a team (which may have to be two teams if they aren't Title IX compliant).

Illinois was very, very close for quite a while and squashed it in the last year.
Go back a page to post 786
That's the current landscape of College Hockey

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Go back a page to post 786
That's the current landscape of College Hockey

Current landscape as in schools are starting teams up? I'm referring to Binghampton specifically. I see it being an uphill battle unless someone writes a check (especially since they're a state school and there will be heavy debates regarding funding). I think they are looking into it because the city's AHL team left town.

As for post 786: Lindenwood is really the only one who went from "feasibility study" to D1. Even they had an extremely popular club team, an available arena, and a D1 womens team. Binghamton doesn't have any of that.

UAA and RMU - Had teams very recently, needed fundraising drives to address the schools' reasons for dropping the teams.

Augustana - Group of fundraisers (one especially big one) bankrolled an arena for the school.

Stonehill - Has to move hockey to D1 because they joined the NEC in other sports. I really hope any Stonehill alums in here don't have their hopes up in these first few years. It's not going to be pretty.

I do hope Binghampton can pull it off though. They should call that guy who funded their insane baseball stadium.

Reactions: Saxon Eric
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad