OT: Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm curious, I thought it was talked about before drafting Bryce that he could play Catcher. Why not give him some time there and leave Zim and Rendon where they're currently at.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm curious, I thought it was talked about before drafting Bryce that he could play Catcher. Why not give him some time there and leave Zim and Rendon where they're currently at.

Harper was a catcher when he was drafted but you don't draft a guy number 1 and have him play a position that requires at least 30-40 games a season off because of the wear and tear of playing that position.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

The question isn't between Zim, Bryce, and Rendon. It is Zim and Espinosa, which is very easy. No reason to make space for Espinosa, by playing Bryce in a position he hasn't played in a few years that wears you down and has the injury risk that catcher does. Not to mention, I believe Werth is the emergency catcher (he was drafted by the Orioles as one and played games in the minors as one).

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Devin Thomas over Jordy Nelson or DeSean Jackson. LaRon Landry over Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis.

But yes, Vesely over Leonard... the Wiz might be in the Finals right now if Leonard was in DC.

Yeah, yeah hindsight is 20/20.

I wanted DJax and Devin Thomas that year tbh and I was fine with Landry.

I just remember thinking to myself, Ernie has to draft Kawhi, he's just too safe a pick and he doesn't have a good history with foreign born players. I still remember that doofus Fran Fraschilla calling Vesely a European Blake Griffin.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah, yeah hindsight is 20/20.

I wanted DJax and Devin Thomas that year tbh and I was fine with Landry.

I just remember thinking to myself, Ernie has to draft Kawhi, he's just too safe a pick and he doesn't have a good history with foreign born players. I still remember that doofus Fran Fraschilla calling Vesely a European Blake Griffin.

Yup, it sure is. I lived in San Diego at the time and watched many of SDSU's games, including a bunch in person. Adds insult to injury now for sure.

European Blake Griffin... sure, minus the rebounding, physicality, dunking, passion, and talent. I remember reading this draft profile of Jan and telling my brother, "He's going to be a Wizard. Book it." So, so many red flags in that profile. Read it at your own risk (of becoming viciously angry wanting to punch through the computer screen).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jan-Vesely-1402/

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The question isn't between Zim, Bryce, and Rendon. It is Zim and Espinosa, which is very easy. No reason to make space for Espinosa, by playing Bryce in a position he hasn't played in a few years that wears you down and has the injury risk that catcher does. Not to mention, I believe Werth is the emergency catcher (he was drafted by the Orioles as one and played games in the minors as one).

Which is true but Ramos is down now, no? And Zim doesn't seem to feel comfortable at 3rd anymore while Rendon has done well. To me that just keeps our defense strong while boosting our offense.

I also feel like Catcher is a more important position then outfielder, but that may just be baseball naivety.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Which is true but Ramos is down now, no? And Zim doesn't seem to feel comfortable at 3rd anymore while Rendon has done well. To me that just keeps our defense strong while boosting our offense.

I also feel like Catcher is a more important position then outfielder, but that may just be baseball naivety.

You don't go from not catching since 2010 to catching in the major leagues.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm not saying just put him there, I'm just wondering why not let him see time there. I'm wondering if Ryan would be better served as an OF instead of moving to 1B, because I think Rendon is going to be an amazing 3B, and that move is probably gonna be needed sooner rather then later. However we've got 3 OFers already and Harper, in my mind, is the best one to move around just due to age and ability.

I'm not suggesting he'd be able to come in and just lead the pitcher to perfect games or anything, just curious why he's never gotten a shot to practice that position.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Personally I believe he still has so much to learn about being a major league player without jerking him around with a position change.

Catching is unbelievably hard work physically without even taking into account the work that usually goes on in the spring with respect to getting in synch with the pitching staff. Until that repore is built up every pitcher on the staff is going to pitch worse for a while.

And as Ridley pointed out the chances of injury go up a ton working behind the plate and the guy can't stay healthy as is.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Emphasis is placed on defense and not offense for the position of catcher. I would rather have Lobaton playing good defensively with a Mendoza line BA than a work in progress behind the plate all to keep the Mendoza line hitting Espinosa on the field. Zim was once a gold glove third baseman, his glove work has not diminished. Yes his throwing has been off, but they seem to try and blame that on the injury. We haven't even given his three-quarters delivery a chance yet. He will hopefully be fine at third, much better than someone that hasn't caught in years behind the plate.

That said, a good hitting catcher is a very fine luxury, which makes playing Harper back there very tempting. Although this luxury is one that the Nats have in Wilson Ramos. No need to try Harper or Werth or anyone else at catcher while Ramos is on the team. Furthermore, due to the injury possibilities, no reason to try Harper there ever.

I'm not saying just put him there, I'm just wondering why not let him see time there. I'm wondering if Ryan would be better served as an OF instead of moving to 1B, because I think Rendon is going to be an amazing 3B, and that move is probably gonna be needed sooner rather then later. However we've got 3 OFers already and Harper, in my mind, is the best one to move around just due to age and ability.

I'm not suggesting he'd be able to come in and just lead the pitcher to perfect games or anything, just curious why he's never gotten a shot to practice that position.

I'd think they would move on from Denard Span before moving Harper out of the outfield. Span out and Zim to Left would be a possibility, but it makes your 2nd base position worse, by not having Rendon there.

And to the last question, he still needs work in the outfield, no need to waste time on practicing at catcher just in case Ramos is injured.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD

I'm no Nationals fan, but to me it is amazing they haven't considered a fairly obvious solution for the Zimmerman issue - keep Rendon at 3rd and move Zimmerman to 2nd. Zimmerman's problems have been throwing the ball; they certainly haven't been fielding the ball (where he has always excelled). He also has played the middle infield (shortstop) in college and a little in the minors; he never played 2nd but that's because his arm was considered too good for 2nd. If Zimmerman can field the ball at 2nd as well as he does at 3rd (and I think he can probably play 2nd better than he can play LF, based on what I've seen in person in three games I attended that Zimmerman played in LF), then you only marginally weaken yourself defensively at 2nd base (for his offensive faults, Espinosa is a very good defensive 2nd baseman IMO), don't impact yourself at all at 3rd base, and strengthen yourself defensively in LF. (You also don't remove Span, who I think is probably one of the best defensive CF in the majors, though he needs to get on base more.) Meanwhile, you're trading Espinosa's bat for Zimmerman's, a significant improvement.

Incidentally, I concur with others who say playing Harper at catcher isn't a viable option. The guy can't stay healthy as it is, and moving him to catcher means he's probably MORE likely to get injured.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lebron and Melo to hit FA... pipe dreams for the Wiz but just think if we could add 1 more big time talent to wall and beal

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
That would require Ted paying the luxury tax.

which im sure he would do in a heartbeat, if he thought there was any chance of landing james.

recall the webber/howard mural on the side of the building across the street? teddy would have the entire facade of the booth painted with his image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad