Switzerland: National team discussion

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not too impressed by this game, despite the score. France doesn't have much depth and they are pretty weak without their top players. Compared to last year's world championship, they missed Huet, Auvitu, Bellemare, S. Da Costa, Y. Treille and of course Lärking.

The defense didn't play as well as against Russia, especially the PK. France had way too many scoring opportunities and Berra had to make a lot of saves. On offense, every time Switzerland reached the blue line with speed, they had no problem going past France's defense, but it didn't happen often because of poor passes. On the other hand, the power play was very good.

Regarding individual players, there is still a lack of offensive talent. The addition of Romy, Ambühl and hopefully Plüss should boost this team. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i played with Hollenstein and Bodenman, which makes me think that he'll make the team only if Romy is not available. I was a bit surprised to see Monnet on Trachsler's line, those are two players you don't expect to see on the ice together and I wonder what Simpson's plan is. Then you have some players such as Rüfenacht, Suri and Sciaroni who aren't good enough to go to the world championship.

I don't expect Friday's game to give us much more informations, we'll have to wait until the next cut to have a better idea about the final roster. Seger, Blindenbacher, Romy and Ambühl should give this team a new face.

ficohok*

Not too impressed by this game, despite the score. France doesn't have much depth and they are pretty weak without their top players. Compared to last year's world championship, they missed Huet, Auvitu, Bellemare, S. Da Costa, Y. Treille and of course Lärking.

The defense didn't play as well as against Russia, especially the PK. France had way too many scoring opportunities and Berra had to make a lot of saves. On offense, every time Switzerland reached the blue line with speed, they had no problem going past France's defense, but it didn't happen often because of poor passes. On the other hand, the power play was very good.

Regarding individual players, there is still a lack of offensive talent. The addition of Romy, Ambühl and hopefully Plüss should boost this team. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i played with Hollenstein and Bodenman, which makes me think that he'll make the team only if Romy is not available. I was a bit surprised to see Monnet on Trachsler's line, those are two players you don't expect to see on the ice together and I wonder what Simpson's plan is. Then you have some players such as Rüfenacht, Suri and Sciaroni who aren't good enough to go to the world championship.

I don't expect Friday's game to give us much more informations, we'll have to wait until the next cut to have a better idea about the final roster. Seger, Blindenbacher, Romy and Ambühl should give this team a new face.

Isn't he Italian ? Thomas Larkin, drafted by Columbus in 2009 .

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Anyone saw the second game against France? I couldn't watch it, but Simpson looked pretty pissed when asked about this performance.

Anyway, Ambühl, Blindenbacher and Seger in, but Romy out for one more week, hopefully nothing too bad. Surprisingly, only Peter was cut.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I was surprised Geering didn't get a shot, but it should have been over Schlumpf, Chiesa or Helbling. Blindenbacher didn't have his best season, but there has to be some balance between current form and experience at this level, you can't have a team full of inexperienced players.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And especially as it's not like we're still having tons of good defenders who could join. Furrer (who had a tough season with injuries) and hopefully Josi, that's it. Geering should have got a chance.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
For me, it's completly not understandable how Simpson and his staff could choose Blindenbacher (who has in my eyes played a horrible season) over Geering....

100 % agree, my post 1 week ago, which I wasn't able to send:), I've written exactly the same. Blindenbacher since coming back from NA hasn't got the level of play for NT anymore. 2 years in a row he's been horrible. And Geering was the best D for the ZSC this year (before Maurer and Seger... and yes I think in this order) and is the best swiss D on the D-side beside Gerber and Josi. only size could be an issue, but he never was intimidated when he played U-20 against NA-teams a few years ago... so that's a good sign. At least Grossmann seems to do the team finally.

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
For me, it's completly not understandable how Simpson and his staff could choose Blindenbacher (who has in my eyes played a horrible season) over Geering....

Can only agree, Geering has been best ZSC defender and he his not in. Realy dont understand this decision.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Nothing from Plüss yet. My bet is that we'll see Romy, Ambühl, Plüss and Trachsler at center with Walker on the wing, and Walker at center if Plüss doesn't go to Stockholm. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i would be Romy's replacement.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Of the NHL guys, Josi might be part of the team that goes to the Worlds. Don't know how motivated he his.

Streit, Hiller, Sbisa, Diaz, Weber will most likely be in the playoffs.

Detroit is 50/50, Brunner might become available.

Niederreiter and the Sound Tigers probably won't make the playoffs so that's good news.

The Heat are 5 pts out of a playoff spot, it isn't looking good for them. Baertschi will surely be available.

So, all in all, Switzerland can have Josi, Niederreiter and Baertschi as "locks". Then again, they might not want to come for various reasons (injuries, tired,...).

Did I forget someone?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Robert Mayer would be available, there is no need for a goalie though. Tanner Richard will play playoffs with the Syracuse Crunch.

Josi, Nino and Baertschi would be nice additions.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I'm afraid Niederreiter would be called up if the Isles make the playoffs, and as someone else pointed out already, Brunner may want to rest after his long season.

And forget about calling junior players, it was tried with Niederreiter in 2010 (who a few months earlier made the world u20 championship all star team) and he ended the tournament as a healthy scratch.

Josi and Bärtschi are the only players from North America I expect to see (I'll still cheer against Detroit and NYI, just in case :D).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
With the small difference that Nino was 17 years old 2010 while Tanner Richard just got 20. And already has 3 assists in 5 AHL-games. And he's Center. But as I said, he'll play playoffs.

I don't get used to it that the Isles will probably play playoffs. :)
But playing at the IHWC would be better than sitting in the press-box, maybe there is a chance that the Isles agree to that.

The problem with Josi could be his contract, he's RFA, not yet signed, there was always some trouble with the insurance in such cases.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Nothing from Plüss yet. My bet is that we'll see Romy, Ambühl, Plüss and Trachsler at center with Walker on the wing, and Walker at center if Plüss doesn't go to Stockholm. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i would be Romy's replacement.

when Plüss doesn't come I got the feeling Simpson goes with Romy, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Walker as locks on C and one of Trachsler/Ambühl as last Center. And with D. Wieser not on the team, I see T.Scherwey as a lock on 4th line.... and if he succeeds I wouldn't be surprised if he tears attention from NA. With his elite skating, his low point of gravity and his power and reckless play I can see him very well being an other europeen pest (ala Komarov) in the NHL.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It seems I'm the only one here, but I just don't see where the :eek::eek::eek::eek:i hype comes from. Ok, he finally found his game after almost disappearing, but in the end he's a 30 points playmaker without much defensive play and weak along the boards, which is pretty much the description of Oliver Kamber, who I don't think anyone would want to see in the national team.

A quick look at this season's scoring list puts him next to Peter, Stancescu and Simek, who are all borderline national team players even though they have much more to offer than offense.

I understand he's only 23, but at the same age Brunner was already a dominant scorer in the NLA. I'm sure he can develop further, but for the moment I don't see a world championship caliber player in him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to some reports (tagesanzeiger.ch, 20min.ch) Josi is coming and Bärtschi is also a strong possibility.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
It seems I'm the only one here, but I just don't see where the :eek::eek::eek::eek:i hype comes from. Ok, he finally found his game after almost disappearing, but in the end he's a 30 points playmaker without much defensive play and weak along the boards, which is pretty much the description of Oliver Kamber, who I don't think anyone would want to see in the national team.

A quick look at this season's scoring list puts him next to Peter, Stancescu and Simek, who are all borderline national team players even though they have much more to offer than offense.

I understand he's only 23, but at the same age Brunner was already a dominant scorer in the NLA. I'm sure he can develop further, but for the moment I don't see a world championship caliber player in him.

Well, with Bykov out and if M.Plüss doesn't come, and Richard in the play-offs... there simply isn't a better offensive C beside him... Mieville is close, but he combines the 3 things least wanted at intern. level: being soft, weak and slow.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i is weak and soft as hell, (so much that it makes him suffer in effectivness even in the LNA), but his skating (minus power skating) is just marvellous and so good that combined with his very soft hands, it could very well work on intern. level.
Plus it gives him always the chance to be back in the own zone when needed just on time. (sth he did very well in the playoffs, sometimes he even exaggerated a bit IMO, collapsing to the own net too close.)

Listen, he definitely got quite some flaws to his game, and I'm not convinced yet that he'll be a success... well I even fear a bit he could get badly injured, cause he does put himself into vulnerable positions too often (like Sprunger or the very young Josi) and combined with his physical weakness...well, let's knock on wood!

but his unorthodox style could be a chance, he's not that easy to defend, and I could see him work very well with a guy like D.Hollenstein for some highlightreel playmaking...

plus I think, speed is just the most important talent a forward can bring on intern. level (especially for skill-players and soft players)... that's why it makes it so hard for guys like Sprunger, Monnet, P.Bärtschi, Bürgler(?) or to go international Mozyakin to be effective on this level, even if they got good to very good skills...

and au contraire: it makes so much easier for guys like Ambühl, Brunner, Hollenstein, Bodenmann or even Walker to have an impact.

That's about my thinking

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Tonight's lineup, according to the game sheet on finhockey.fi:

Gerber / Stephan

Blindenbacher - Grossmann
Seger - Chiesa
Von Gunten - Blum
Vauclair - Helbling

Suri - Ambühl - Bürgler
Stancescu - Walker - Simek
Bodenman - :eek::eek::eek::eek:i - Hollenstein
Bieber - Trachsler - Monnet
Rüfenacht

Not dressed: Berra, Schlumpf, Ramholt, Sciaroni

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Well, with Bykov out and if M.Plüss doesn't come, and Richard in the play-offs... there simply isn't a better offensive C beside him... Mieville is close, but he combines the 3 things least wanted at intern. level: being soft, weak and slow.

Except that Simpson has always used Ambühl as an offensive center (in 2010 with Brunner and Monnet, in 2011 with Sprunger and Monnet, and in 2012 with Wick and Niederreiter), and Plüss can be used in either an offensive or defensive role. My guess is that if no one is injured, Romy, Ambühl, Plüss and one of Traschsler and Walker will play center. Judging by the lines used by Simpson, I think :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is the backup plan for Romy.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i is weak and soft as hell, (so much that it makes him suffer in effectivness even in the LNA), but his skating (minus power skating) is just marvellous and so good that combined with his very soft hands, it could very well work on intern. level.
Plus it gives him always the chance to be back in the own zone when needed just on time. (sth he did very well in the playoffs, sometimes he even exaggerated a bit IMO, collapsing to the own net too close.)

Listen, he definitely got quite some flaws to his game, and I'm not convinced yet that he'll be a success... well I even fear a bit he could get badly injured, cause he does put himself into vulnerable positions too often (like Sprunger or the very young Josi) and combined with his physical weakness...well, let's knock on wood!

I agree about this, I guess I'm just not as willing as you are to use the world championship as a :eek::eek::eek::eek:i try out.

but his unorthodox style could be a chance, he's not that easy to defend, and I could see him work very well with a guy like D.Hollenstein for some highlightreel playmaking...

plus I think, speed is just the most important talent a forward can bring on intern. level (especially for skill-players and soft players)... that's why it makes it so hard for guys like Sprunger, Monnet, P.Bärtschi, Bürgler(?) or to go international Mozyakin to be effective on this level, even if they got good to very good skills...

and au contraire: it makes so much easier for guys like Ambühl, Brunner, Hollenstein, Bodenmann or even Walker to have an impact.

That's about my thinking

You're preaching to the choir here, I've argued many times that an international player has to either bring speed or some physical presence, without any of those, skill is useless (that's why I've argued many times against Sprunger in the national team). But unlike in Ambühl's play, I don't see an effective use of speed by :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Hollenstein or Ambühl are very powerful skater and Brunner has top notch offensive skills, skating alone makes you a border line 4th liner at best (see Bieber, I remember that game against Canada in 2011 when he got a breakaway and a penalty shot but couldn't score).

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Except that Simpson has always used Ambühl as an offensive center (in 2010 with Brunner and Monnet, in 2011 with Sprunger and Monnet, and in 2012 with Wick and Niederreiter), and Plüss can be used in either an offensive or defensive role. My guess is that if no one is injured, Romy, Ambühl, Plüss and one of Traschsler and Walker will play center. Judging by the lines used by Simpson, I think :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is the backup plan for Romy.

Off course, when we take the POs into consideration: If Plüss will be there... there's no spot for :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. But I pray to whoever I have to, that Simpson finally sees that Ambühl was a product of Brunner, when he played 1st Line... how many games he played C this year with the Lions? ...definitely not more than a couple...but we had this topic before;)

I agree about this, I guess I'm just not as willing as you are to use the world championship as a :eek::eek::eek::eek:i try out.

I just think, this WCC should be the test-tournament for the Olympics... and I want the best talent on the team in Sotchii to medal (or lose in prelimary round), but not this typical swiss between (for a solid 7th or 8th finish). evenmoreso when there's nobody get relegated at the OG. it's the time for risky moves!

You're preaching to the choir here, I've argued many times that an international player has to either bring speed or some physical presence, without any of those, skill is useless (that's why I've argued many times against Sprunger in the national team). But unlike in Ambühl's play, I don't see an effective use of speed by :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Hollenstein or Ambühl are very powerful skater and Brunner has top notch offensive skills, skating alone makes you a border line 4th liner at best (see Bieber, I remember that game against Canada in 2011 when he got a breakaway and a penalty shot but couldn't score).

How dare you, comparing Bieber to :eek::eek::eek::eek:i;) one is a worker, the other is an artist with soft hands, and with very good situational play-making.

You're probably right about Sprunger.... I just like him very much as a character and player and always thought from all slow, soft and skilled players, he's the guy with the biggest talent (hands, shot, passing) and definitely the best reach... and I still think with a very talented C and a hard working, strong skating partner on the wing (or the other way round), he still could have an impact...especially in PP-Situations and against lesser opponents in must win games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad