Switzerland: National team discussion

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
5-4 shootout win in the 2nd game against Finland, shots 37-34 for Switzerland. I'd never thought that Swiss lineup could win in a shootout!

Switzerland took the lead with 2'30'' to go but still allowed the game tying goal. Somehow, Bieber, Rüfenacht and Walker were on the ice during a power play with 10 minutes to go and managed to score:

http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.com/mem/?cha=1ba9dbc7ec3e56e7604c390ab3ae4777

Hopefully I can catch some highlights to have a better idea about the game.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
5-4 shootout win in the 2nd game against Finland, shots 37-34 for Switzerland. I'd never thought that Swiss lineup could win in a shootout!

Switzerland took the lead with 2'30'' to go but still allowed the game tying goal. Somehow, Bieber, Rüfenacht and Walker were on the ice during a power play with 10 minutes to go and managed to score:

http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.com/mem/?cha=1ba9dbc7ec3e56e7604c390ab3ae4777

Hopefully I can catch some highlights to have a better idea about the game.

Thx, hopefully with Antero Mertaranta behind the mic;-)

Lugano's PP fell into pieces the moment Rufenacht got injured... he does a solid job in the crease.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Thx, hopefully with Antero Mertaranta behind the mic;-)

Lugano's PP fell into pieces the moment Rufenacht got injured... he does a solid job in the crease.

My first idea was to catch Sportaktuell on SRF2, but Mertaranta would be fine too. ;)

True about Rüfenacht, he was a big part of the success of Lugano's PP early in the season. But the thing is, he's a bit in a strange position as he's in the national team thanks to his play for Lugano, but he's put in the role he had when he played for Zug. I think him and Sciaroni are the first in line for the next roster cuts.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Judging by the highlights, it doesn't look like a good game by either team. Nice finish by :eek::eek::eek::eek:i on Switzerland's fist goal, but Bodenmann and Simek's goals should have been saved, and Suri had an empty net thanks to Järvinen being tripped by one of his teammates.

On the other hand, Stephan should have saved Pihlström's shot, Chiesa was asleep on Jormakka's goal, Sallinen's goal started with two turnovers in the neutral zone and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Helbling didn't provide the needed defensive coverage on Aaltonen's goal.

I don't think any of the coaches will be happy with that one.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Schlumpf, Chiesa, Simek, Rüfenacht and Sciaroni are cut. Romy is injured and won't play. That's a pity.

No players from Fribourg are joining, from Bern Furrer, Plüss, Rüthemann and Gardner are joining, Simon Moser will hopefully continue where he stopped at the last IHWC.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Romy after Wick, that's the news no one wanted to hear...

Regarding the cuts, Schlumpf, Sciaroni and Rüfenacht were easy to predict. I expected Ramholt to be the other defensman cut, but I'm glad Simpson choosed Chiesa as I never liked the idea of having him in the national team.

Good news that Plüss and Rüthemann will both show up. I've never been a big fan of Gardner at this level, but considering the players missing, he can be a good addition. Vermin is another Bern player who could have gotten some consideration, but he's not a definite upgrade over anyone who is already available. In Fribourg, Löffel is blocked by more experienced players who have a similar role, but Jeannin could have been considered given Romy's injury.

Nine defensemen and 15 forwards now on the roster, with the possible addition of Josi and Bärtschi, so more players will be cut after the games against Germany.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Don't know how reliable that source is, but it sure would be nice to have both him and Bärtschi.

No need to cheer for Winnipeg anymore, let's concentrate on Dallas and Columbus! :D

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
when Plüss doesn't come I got the feeling Simpson goes with Romy, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Walker as locks on C and one of Trachsler/Ambühl as last Center. And with D. Wieser not on the team, I see T.Scherwey as a lock on 4th line.... and if he succeeds I wouldn't be surprised if he tears attention from NA. With his elite skating, his low point of gravity and his power and reckless play I can see him very well being an other europeen pest (ala Komarov) in the NHL.

Scherwey in the NHL?! No....... just no.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
According to the Suedostschweiz Josi and Bärtschi are coming. Nino will get nominated, decision has to be made by the Isles. Brunner could also come if the Red Wings miss the Playoffs.

SwissStef

Jul 27, 2007
To have Bärtschi and Josi on the team is great!
I'm not sure about Brunner...i think he's a bit "out of gas" after this though schedule with the Red Wings.

On Nino i'm not 100 % sold...maybe his skating on the big ice is not good enough to be a force on this level of play...

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
To have Bärtschi and Josi on the team is great!
I'm not sure about Brunner...i think he's a bit "out of gas" after this though schedule with the Red Wings.

On Nino i'm not 100 % sold...maybe his skating on the big ice is not good enough to be a force on this level of play...

I agree about Nino, but given the current roster, he's probably still an upgrade.

Too bad the NHL players won't be available for the games against Germany, it would be nice to have an idea about Simpson's plans.

ficohok*

I see here that Nino will come, but what if Islanders secure PO ? Will he come anyway ?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Some more infos about the Niederreiter situation:

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/33432

and in the meantime, Detroit moved back into a playoff position.

On Nino, i wonder if this is not garbage philosophy of journalists that have to write down something.

Playoffs are tough. The probability of having injured players are big, and you want to have the bests in your team and the best players available in case you need to replace some of them.

They are all professionals, and Nino, although young, already went through some scandals ... and learned that the employer is the king and no matter how things will be going, he has to stay behind.

He is the best scorer and the second best in terms of points. On top of that, his scoring/pointing has hit a desert after the affair where it was said that he wouldn't be called up during the year. Meaning that without this, he would prbably be the best.

I wouldn't be surprised that he still be retained (called up) for availability in case of need.

On the other hand, maybe by showing up in the WC, he would gain in value. But this would be a question of when his contract with the Islanders comes to an end.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not a very good game tonight, both teams were well organised in the defensive zone but lacked talent, which resulted in few scoring opportunities. Both regulation goals should have been saved.

Simpson went with the same lineup as in the first game against Finland, with Moser replacing Simek and all four Bern players scratched, which could mean that they are considered locks to make the team and that Gardner, Plüss and Rüthemann will play together.

I'm not convinced by Suri, Bürgler and Bodenmann in offensive roles, and the Bieber - Trachsler - Monnet line still doesn't make much sense to me. In the end, not many answers in this game.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Not a very good game tonight, both teams were well organised in the defensive zone but lacked talent, which resulted in few scoring opportunities. Both regulation goals should have been saved.

Simpson went with the same lineup as in the first game against Finland, with Moser replacing Simek and all four Bern players scratched, which could mean that they are considered locks to make the team and that Gardner, Plüss and Rüthemann will play together.

I'm not convinced by Suri, Bürgler and Bodenmann in offensive roles, and the Bieber - Trachsler - Monnet line still doesn't make much sense to me. In the end, not many answers in this game.

Agree about many aspects you say ! yet not all. I believe that we had some good opportunities, we should have buried some ! against another better team, no way we have the same ! we better score on them or end up glorifying the opposing goalie.

And definitely no talent came out ! or veeeery little.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So Bärtschi is very probably out for the IHWC, another huge offensive blow after Romy and Wick. :(

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Today's lineup according to the game sheet:

Gerber (Stephan)

Fuhrer - Blindenbacher
Seger - Vauclair
Grossmann - Ramholt
Blum - Helbling

Rüthemann - Plüss - Bieber
Bodenmann - :eek::eek::eek::eek:i - Hollenstein
Bürgler - Ambühl - Suri
Moser - Walker - Monnet
Stancescu

Scratched: Berra, Von Gunten, Trachsler. Gardner is in Canada for family reasons.

Hopefully the addition of Plüss and Rüthemann can give the team more offensive creativity. Accroding to the TV commentator, Simpson will annonce the final cuts shortly after the game.

EDIT: corrected the lineup

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad