Value of: Nathan Mackinnon (THN says he's no longer untouchable)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Wallmark, Roy and Kuokkonen is not exactly something that we scream loaded at center position. Not even sure that Wallmark and Kuokkonen will be centers in NHL. Saarela and Potularski are better suited for wing.

Wallmark, Roy and Kuokkonen....what did you do with Staal, Aho, Lindholm, TT, Ryan and Rask? Add in Mac if this trade were to really happen and I think we can afford to move one of Roy and Rask...neither of which will play well as a wing.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The whole "he isn't going to be cheap" part is interesting. Another notion on this board. Remember HFboards is where people projected Nate MacKinnon as being better than Crosby by now and that is now laughable at best. Still though, putting up 51pts isn't terrible at all. From the Pens (and of course there would be interest as a Pens fan considering his style of game, his ties to Crosby, etc), I'd think the Maatta + 1st and maybe someone like Wilson would be more than enough, but of course, making that claim here would freak people out with "Not enough!!!"...when it'd probably be.

It could be worse, the Avs could be stuck with the likes of a Sam Bennett or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Yeah, that's a woeful offer. I don't see an asset which would be anywhere near worth it for the Avs. MacKinnon is a top line guy, you are not getting him for a top 4 defenseman made of glass, Wilson, whose performance this year does not represent anything close to what MacKinnon would fetch, and a rather late first rounder on a bad draft year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can see why theyd make him available. The market for D is probably still sky high and I could see GMs being wary of Duchenes down year + being a UFA in not to distant future. Landskog is the other forward being dangled but lets be honest here, not even a 0.50 ppg player. I dont think much value is being offered up. Bruins wouldnt even do Carlo. So you could deal either for a lesser package involving a 2nd pairing D and lesser parts but how much does that help

So that leaves Mackinnon, still has high value and your best shot at a top pairing young D. If you want to turn your D core around this move has to be made

As much as people ripped Chiarelli, he got max value for Hall. But thats what the market for forwards is, even elite ones. Chiarelli had Hall on the market and every GM knew, the best offer was likely Larsson. Not sure why people think the market will correct itself for the Avs, its likely still as skewed. Well see when the Avs make a deal what the market is, but im guessing itll leave people just as shocked

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
So the subpar seasons of Landeskog and Duchene make it so MacKinnon is no longer untouchable? Not buying it, if anything I'd say that makes MacKinnon more valuable to the Avs...

Regardless, if he is available, I'd bet it's for a very steep price

ADDED: Sakic has been very clear in saying that MacKinnon, Rantanen, Jost and Zadorov are the only ones he's not willing to trade

Tlooking back to 2000 the common thing all conference finalist have:
1. High danger Def system coach
COL nope!

2. Top 10 HD shot goalie
Price; Talbot; Griess; Holtby; Jones; Elliott; Crawford; Lundquist; Bernier; Murray
COL nope

3. 3+ top 60 HD shot Def dmen
Barberio usually top 30; barely top 60 w/ COL
Weircoch, Johnson Bottom 90
Tyutin, Zadarov Bottom 60
Barrie bottom 20

4. consistent top 120 forward depth. you look for top 135 in goals and points
right now that is 16G 39P
ANA (5) Eaves; Kesler, Perry Rakell, Silverberg
CGY (4) Backlund, Frolik, Gaudreau, Monohan
CHI (6) Anisimov, Hossa, Kane, Panarin, Panik, Toews
EDM (6) Draisatl, Eberle, Lucic, Maroon, Mcdavid, RNH
MIN (6) Coyle, Granlund, Koivu, Niederietter, Staal, Zucker
NSH (4) Arvidsson, Fisher, Forsberg, Neal
SJS (4) Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Thorton w/top point share
STL (4) Perron, Schwartz, Statsny, tarasenko
COL (1) Mckinnon

Mckinnon and Landeskog have achieved that 3 of the last 4 years.

Duchene gets 2 more points and will be the 40th forward to be a top 120 Forward 4 years in a row.

5. +ve Goal differential 3rd line

6. +ve Goal differential

you have to accumulate the correct assets to be Cup competitive.

Dumping Landeskog, And Duchene means a full rebuild.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Jesse Puljujarvi + RNH + Defensive prospect in caleb jones.

I was thinking similar although. I had

Puljujarvi
Jones
2018 1st
2017 1st
Eberle

MacKinnon
Barrie

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic MacKinnon Nuge

Klefbom Larrson
Sekera Barrie

Excellent top 6 and top 4. After next season I'd look to trade Sekera and replace him with Nurse.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd expect Colorado would be looking for more, but I can't see a lot of teams lining up to give more. Top tier, or potential top tier, LHD and futures are what I'd imagine Avalanche brass and fans would want, and that has Carolina and Vancouver offering better fits then the other proposals.

My fellow Canucks fan offer of Juolevi and our first round pick is a pretty steep price. I mean really steep. MacKinnon would check a lot of boxes that we can only hope get filled though. As a right hand shot, potential top line, center, I'd probably coalesce and give up those two pieces, but I can't imagine we'd be able to afford more value.

I can imagine someone would scream for Horvat or Boeser or Demko as the "added" piece, and no, not interested, but depending on what Colorado needs, we have players that can fill a role or fill a gap in their roster, but a 5th overall pick defender, in a draft class where everyone around him has already shown tremendous promise and potential, and a second lottery pick for a team that needs to be remade from the ground up...we need those pieces as well. If a Sutter, or Dorsett, or Sbisa (ok, maybe not one of our LHD if we're moving Juolevi) or Eriksson...then we can talk about an add on, but a former first overall centerman is an attractive piece, but blaming his lack of output on his team's failures won't endear him to fans of a team that is almost as bad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The whole "he isn't going to be cheap" part is interesting. Another notion on this board. Remember HFboards is where people projected Nate MacKinnon as being better than Crosby by now and that is now laughable at best. Still though, putting up 51pts isn't terrible at all. From the Pens (and of course there would be interest as a Pens fan considering his style of game, his ties to Crosby, etc), I'd think the Maatta + 1st and maybe someone like Wilson would be more than enough, but of course, making that claim here would freak people out with "Not enough!!!"...when it'd probably be.

It could be worse, the Avs could be stuck with the likes of a Sam Bennett or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Don't be absurd. He's considered a core rebuild player over there. You're taking idle speculation by someone in Edmonton and acting as though it's confirmation that he's being shopped around the league by Sakic. This is embarrassingly bad and you should be ashamed.

MacKinnon is one of those "if you offer something ludicrous I won't hang up the phone and block your number" names, not a "we need to get something, anything" name. Come on.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
If I was a gm, i'd be willing to trade Landeskog or Duchene to the very best proposals in this thread, nothing that intrigues me to give up Nathan MacKinnon. Guy is exploding with potential, nhl's longest ****in time bomb who keeps on waiting but delivers eventually big time wait and see.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He might not be untouchable, but if the ask for Duchene was Serg+Galch+1st+++ I can only imagine the ridiculousness brewing in Joe's head. That dude is so delusional he probably thinks he could get Malkin and Crosby for his young "star". :laugh:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
He might not be untouchable, but if the ask for Duchene was Serg+Galch+1st+++ I can only imagine the ridiculousness brewing in Joe's head. That dude is so delusional he probably thinks he could get Malkin and Crosby for his young "star". :laugh:

And probably cap relief and could you throw in a 1st rounder? Otherwise not gonna be enough..... ;O

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
If I was a gm, i'd be willing to trade Landeskog or Duchene to the very best proposals in this thread, nothing that intrigues me to give up Nathan MacKinnon. Guy is exploding with potential, nhl's longest ****in time bomb who keeps on waiting but delivers eventually big time wait and see.

I like Mac, but I don't know about this. He's been underwhelming since his rookie year and has even shown some signs of regression, obviously the team sucks but still. Great players produce regardless of **** circumstances, not many are 3-4 years "ticking time bombs" (in the good sense of the word). Just look at a guy like Hall, we thought that he might be better getting away from that clustermess in Edmonton and he's been more or less the same as last year (and has regressed since his earlier years).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Speaking only for the Canes if I were GM, you wouldn't get half of what I offered above for Mac for either Duchene or Landeskog from the Canes. It's Mac or no thanks from us. Mac has shown resilience and talent in spite of this horrible season. Landy has shown steady decline like the previous years and Duchene has shown that he doesn't have the mental fortitude to be "the man" on a team by all but disappearing when the season got bad.

So YOU may be willing to do those trades with the other two forwards, but I doubt any other GMs are willing, which is why you probably still have them.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Speaking only for the Canes if I were GM, you wouldn't get half of what I offered above for Mac for either Duchene or Landeskog from the Canes. It's Mac or no thanks from us. Mac has shown resilience and talent in spite of this horrible season. Landy has shown steady decline like the previous years and Duchene has shown that he doesn't have the mental fortitude to be "the man" on a team by all but disappearing when the season got bad.

So YOU may be willing to do those trades with the other two forwards, but I doubt any other GMs are willing, which is why you probably still have them.

I agree, from a Canucks fans perspective. I have zero interest in Landeskog or Duchene unless they come cheap as hell. Mackinnon is the only piece I'd be willing to give up significant assets for.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree, from a Canucks fans perspective. I have zero interest in Landeskog or Duchene unless they come cheap as hell. Mackinnon is the only piece I'd be willing to give up significant assets for.

Agreed with this. At some point you gotta call a spade a spade. How much value is a 30 point winger making 6 mil going to get in a trade

Duchene himself has like what 2 points in last 20 games? Might finish the year under 40 points. Add that to under 60 points last year and 55 year before. Sub 60 point player making 6 million and also free to walk in 2 years. Oilers dont need Duchene but speaking for the Canucks I probably wouldnt go more than Hutton + pick

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed with this. At some point you gotta call a spade a spade. How much value is a 30 point winger making 6 mil going to get in a trade

Duchene himself has like what 2 points in last 20 games? Might finish the year under 40 points. Add that to under 60 points last year and 55 year before. Sub 60 point player making 6 million and also free to walk in 2 years. Oilers dont need Duchene but speaking for the Canucks I probably wouldnt go more than Hutton + pick

Not a high pick any more. Gudbranson would be another defender I'd offer over Hutton, if they wanted a more physical, RHD, but because of the rebuild status being official, Duchene and Landeskog aren't going to do anything for us but keep us middling until we can build up some more depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad