Post-Game Talk: Nashville 4 Edmonton 0

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So do the 82 games leading up to the playoffs suddenly not matter? Strome is worthless and has about as many points as Eberle has goals. There was no reason to make this idiotic trade.

Chiarelli sold low on Eberle just like every other player he dealt.
Waits until the player is at his lowest value, or the team stinks and is desperate to add a piece.
Eberle was coming off a horrible playoff and should have come back on Mcdavid line to pad his stats.
Yak, Hall draft picks, Eberle.

I hate to say it, but we need to sell off RNH while he has value. Have to wait until we're clearly out of the playoffs or GMs will just see a deal as desperation.
Unfortunately, the standard Chia deal is lopsided in favor of the other team, so GMs will expect this.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In hindsight it looks bad but at the time it made a lot of sense. We ditch cap space (which maybe we should use) and dealt him after a disappointing playoff run (for him). The cap difference obviously lessened our return and IMO it's not likely he would be the player he is now in NY that he would be if he played here.

No, at the time it was dumb as shit too.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ng-else-cooking.2360461/page-3#post-133693793

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...e-trade-likely.2353267/page-20#post-133120427

I could go on. It was dumb as hell.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Mclellan strategy of shooting from anywhere is not working.
Settling for a low danger shot on net means you're giving up possession of the puck.
This guy should not be coaching our team due to a shopping list of reasons

Sounds like Eakins lol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm sorry but 5-11 at home. a pk at around 58%. We aren't winning games because we constantly lose special teams battles badly

But yet Woodcroft still has a job this morning. TMacs loyalty to players and coaches is a rather large detriment, and is costing us a LOT of points in the standings.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I didn't hate Doobie, but I hated his inability to focus for a full game. Your posts may have been overly confident, but they were likely reasonable. He had to beg for a shot as the Coyotes backup. Then played out of his mind for the Wild. Nobody goes from crapping the bed in the AHL to a Vezina finalist the next season. That doesn't mean it is worth pissing away this season because LB might catch the same miracle run that Dubnyk did.

fwiw Doobie had returned to form. His career looks to be somewhere between Jim Carey and Tim Thomas at this point. Middling backup catches fire for a while and crashes down to earth. That six year deal Doobie signed with the Wild is looking more and more like an albatross.

When Doobie played with the Oilers he was incredibly frustrating because he would make some unbelievable goals but then let up a softie a game. The team played with no confidence in front of him unless they were up two or three.

Croissant doesn't let in as many softies as Oilers-era Dubnyk, but he still lets in too many. Croissant needs to make some big saves. The Preds had four good scoring chances last night and buried all of them. The fourth goal he was slow coming across. It would have been a good save to make. He had a chance on the first goal.

Yep. I dont know why people are sticking up for LB last night. 2 of the 4 goals, while semi-difficult, are saveable IMO. High stick should never have counted. Only one that was difficult IMO was the one where Benning f***ing pokes the puck forward instead of gaining posession

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This team is garbage at home and just garbage in general.

Someone really needs to lose their job over this season and sadly the coach is the most likely suspect when the roster has zero depth at almost every position.

TMac's loyalty problem (especially to Woodcroft) is a huge problem, but Chia is the real evil with the organization, without question.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yep. I dont know why people are sticking up for LB last night. 2 of the 4 goals, while semi-difficult, are saveable IMO. High stick should never have counted. Only one that was difficult IMO was the one where Benning ****ing pokes the puck forward instead of gaining posession

You make a good point about Benning. Definitely should not be starting games at this point.

When one of Sekera or Larsson gets back Gryba should be sent down and head to the press box. When both Sekera and Larsson are back Benning should head to Bako.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
You make a good point about Benning. Definitely should not be starting games at this point.

When one of Sekera or Larsson gets back Gryba should be sent down and head to the press box. When both Sekera and Larsson are back Benning should head to Bako.

Like I like Benning as a step in filler person, 7th (8th?) D but not with the expectations he has right now. He knows his role but his brain farts are so costly.

Now that I think about it, I don't even know whats worse, him or Klef since both are brutal.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
If that was directed at my post, I meant LB wasn't to blame and was the best time to get Ellis some minutes without cutting into LB's confidence. "Good game kid, not your fault we're letting Ellis have the 3rd"... something like that.

No not directed at you. Just in general. I find most people see the goals up on the board and lay the blame at the goalies feet. Dont forget that there is 5 players that need to make mistakes first. Their mistakes dont go up on a giant scoreboard.

While I think Bross has definitely let in a few 100% should be stopped everytime shots, but I truly think hes gotten a raw deal in most of his games like Toronto and Nashville.

As a fanbase we are way too quick to give up on players and find a whipping boy or someone to run out of town.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No not directed at you. Just in general. I find most people see the goals up on the board and lay the blame at the goalies feet. Dont forget that there is 5 players that need to make mistakes first. Their mistakes dont go up on a giant scoreboard.

While I think Bross has definitely let in a few 100% should be stopped everytime shots, but I truly think hes gotten a raw deal in most of his games like Toronto and Nashville.

As a fanbase we are way too quick to give up on players and find a whipping boy or someone to run out of town.

The handful of games everyone has seen of him, he's let in a stinker. There's a reason even the Oilers social media team no longer puts the record of the starting goalies on their Instagram the last few games. No one needs to be reminded that their starter only has less than a handful of wins.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think brossoit has lost us abt games, but he hasn't done us any favours either.

I could dump on him, but that's not really fair. Frankly I don't think he's nhl level at this point, we need to try something else.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think brossoit has lost us abt games, but he hasn't done us any favours either.

I could dump on him, but that's not really fair. Frankly I don't think he's nhl level at this point, we need to try something else.

Focusing on fairness lands you 28th in a 31 team league.

That something else is to make a trade to get a backup goalie. The Oilers are 3-4 with Croissant in net. Anyone that says the second Leaf's game and last night weren't on him cuz shutouts has to admit that Croissant played horribly in the Calgary game and deserves no credit for the win.

Not sure why Chiarelli thought it was good to start the season with Croissant as the backup. Bad, bad decision making.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So do the 82 games leading up to the playoffs suddenly not matter? Strome is worthless and has about as many points as Eberle has goals. There was no reason to make this idiotic trade.

Eberle struggled throughout last season. He was battling more but he wasn't scoring as well. A lot of people questioned what happened to his shot.

His own play tanked his value. In his own words he lost his confidence here.

So what if he was still here and not playing any better? You still have a six million dollar winger that no one is willing to give up significant assets for.

This team should be better than they are.

Chia's biggest mistake in my eyes was not getting a true backup goalie. Brossoit was anointed without any competition.

The defense would have been fine if Klefbom hadn't lost his brain over the summer. Benning is playing too high up but Klefbom is the real issue.

The forwards. I think McLellan is mismanaging this group of forwards and in my opinion he should be the first to go.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle struggled throughout last season. He was battling more but he wasn't scoring as well. A lot of people questioned what happened to his shot.

His own play tanked his value. In his own words he lost his confidence here.

So what if he was still here and not playing any better? You still have a six million dollar winger that no one is willing to give up significant assets for.

This team should be better than they are.

Chia's biggest mistake in my eyes was not getting a true backup goalie. Brossoit was anointed without any competition.

The defense would have been fine if Klefbom hadn't lost his brain over the summer. Benning is playing too high up but Klefbom is the real issue.

The forwards. I think McLellan is mismanaging this group of forwards and in my opinion he should be the first to go.
So when does this cap space score a goal or make a save for us? Wasn't that the whole point of the trade?

North

Jun 25, 2009
It only made sense if that cap space was put to good use and there was a point long before the season started that it wasn't going to happen. The Oilers arrived at the point where they should be looking to acquire players, not get rid of them. This is McDavid's last year of ELC so why are we looking for cap space this year? The proper thing to do would've been to trade Eberle next offseason if needed. If you're a smart GM you can move things around to make cap space at the TDL. There's a reason why most contenders are at or near the cap and still manage to pick up good players at the deadline.

The Oilers don't have any prospects of worth, so we're forced to deal picks in the hopes that something might turn out because lord knows we can't draft worth a damn either. I mean did those picks we got in the Petry trade turn into anything?

The Oilers don't have any prospects of worth? Not Puljujarvi? Not Yamamoto?

You may not like them but they have value.

The thing is we need cheap talent for the future so trading them seems counterproductive.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers don't have any prospects of worth? Not Puljujarvi? Not Yamamoto?

You may not like them but they have value.

The thing is we need cheap talent for the future so trading them seems counterproductive.
The jury is VERY far out on KY. He isn't exactly lighting it up in the minors. JP is fine. I wouldn't call him a blue chipper though. Not yet.

After that? Bupkis. Even most of the wingers on our current roster are very underwhelming.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So when does this cap space score a goal or make a save for us? Wasn't that the whole point of the trade?

My belief is the cap space was for two reasons: bonuses and upgrading at the deadline.

Chiarelli thought we would still be competitive if we were down Sekera (for part of the season) and Eberle.

To be fair we should be. The games where they are firing on all cylinders, you see the team we were cheering for last year.

The problem is that effort isn't consistent and tbat's on McLellan. As well as his odd lineup decisions.

Couple that with some pretty suspect officiating that seems to knock the wind out of the players sails and we are where we are.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
That's the problem though. We got this cap space so we can 'allegedly' use during trade deadline to make a run in the playoffs. Looks like we should use it to make a run at MAKING the playoffs.

Instead, we have this space...just to know we have this space.

That, I agree with.

It only made sense if that cap space was put to good use and there was a point long before the season started that it wasn't going to happen. The Oilers arrived at the point where they should be looking to acquire players, not get rid of them. This is McDavid's last year of ELC so why are we looking for cap space this year? The proper thing to do would've been to trade Eberle next offseason if needed. If you're a smart GM you can move things around to make cap space at the TDL. There's a reason why most contenders are at or near the cap and still manage to pick up good players at the deadline.

The Oilers don't have any prospects of worth, so we're forced to deal picks in the hopes that something might turn out because lord knows we can't draft worth a damn either. I mean did those picks we got in the Petry trade turn into anything?

Again I agree about using the cap but I think it would be risky as his value could have dropped even lower.

Not sure why you've quoted yourself saying it was bad as some kind of proof.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The jury is VERY far out on KY. He isn't exactly lighting it up in the minors. JP is fine. I wouldn't call him a blue chipper though. Not yet.

After that? Bupkis. Even most of the wingers on our current roster are very underwhelming.

You're kidding yourself if you think Yamamoto doesn't have value just because of some early struggles.

Bear also has value and I'd wager Jones does too even if he is currently struggling in the AHL.

Maksimov and Safin are trending nicely and may end up having value too if they don't already.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
My belief is the cap space was for two reasons: bonuses and upgrading at the deadline.

Chiarelli thought we would still be competitive if we were down Sekera (for part of the season) and Eberle.

To be fair we should be. The games where they are firing on all cylinders, you see the team we were cheering for last year.

The problem is that effort isn't consistent and tbat's on McLellan. As well as his odd lineup decisions.

Couple that with some pretty suspect officiating that seems to knock the wind out of the players sails and we are where we are.
You know why McLellan makes odd lineup decisions? Because the roster sucks. Do you think he really wants to trot Auvitu/Gryba out there on a regular basis? What options does he have? Cap space is only as good as what you make of it and we've pissed away so much on middling players then left it aside as opposed to upgrading the roster. This team doesn't scare anyone and the Predators were not scared of playing rope a dope with this team.

You're kidding yourself if you think Yamamoto doesn't have value just because of some early struggles.

Bear also has value and I'd wager Jones does too even if he is currently struggling in the AHL.

Maksimov and Safin are trending nicely and may end up having value too if they don't already.
KY has value, but he's not worth as much as we'd like. He showed very little in his small stint up here and the fact he isn't lighting it up in the WHL (never mind higher leagues) is cause for concern. It's hilarious that other teams can find gems in the later rounds and if the Oilers aren't drafting in the top 10 they seldom find anyone of worth.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

North

Jun 25, 2009
You know why McLellan makes odd lineup decisions? Because the roster sucks. Do you think he really wants to trot Auvitu/Gryba out there on a regular basis? What options does he have? Cap space is only as good as what you make of it and we've pissed away so much on middling players then left it aside as opposed to upgrading the roster. This team doesn't scare anyone and the Predators were not scared of playing rope a dope with this team.

KY has value, but he's not worth as much as we'd like. He showed very little in his small stint up here and the fact he isn't lighting it up in the WHL (never mind higher leagues) is cause for concern. It's hilarious that other teams can find gems in the later rounds and if the Oilers aren't drafting in the top 10 they seldom find anyone of worth.

Bear and Jones are later round picks as are Maksimov and Safin. We'll have to see if they pan out but they are looking good.

Yamamoto wasn't ready for NHL action but he had his moments. It's a small sample size you're using to write him off just because of the way he's struggling right now.

Forgot to mention Benson. He is doing very well and the injuries seem to be behind him.

Prospect wise we are actually doing better at drafting now that Chiarelli is in charge.

The fact is even with what he has to work with McLellan has been making stupid decisions.

I have no doubt that another coach get more out of this group than McLellan has been.

Losing Sekera and Eberle should not have been that disastrous to this team.

Anyways this conversation is circular. I don't believe the sky is falling and you do. Not going to change each other's minds so I'm done.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bear and Jones are later round picks as are Maksimov and Safin. We'll have to see if they pan out but they are looking good.

Yamamoto wasn't ready for NHL action but he had his moments. It's a small sample size you're using to write him off just because of the way he's struggling right now.

Forgot to mention Benson. He is doing very well and the injuries seem to be behind him.

Prospect wise we are actually doing better at drafting now that Chiarelli is in charge.

The fact is even with what he has to work with McLellan has been making stupid decisions.

I have no doubt that another coach get more out of this group than McLellan has been.

Losing Sekera and Eberle should not have been that disastrous to this team.

Anyways this conversation is circular. I don't believe the sky is falling and you do. Not going to change each other's minds so I'm done.
Until any of those players torch the AHL it means absolutely nothing. How many times have we gotten all excited about prospects only to be disappointed? Hell even Slepyshev people were so convinced he was ready to take the next step this year... Nope. Where's our Boeser? Our Gaudreau? Our Subban? We don't even have a capable backup goalie.

Losing arguably our best if not second best defenseman and our top winger shouldn't be disastrous if we had any depth. We don't. Who was going to replace either of those guys? Anyone?

It'd be one thing if the Oilers were just on the cusp of a playoff spot and maybe a couple points out, but we're in mid-December and the season is done. And honestly it was done about a month ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad