Post-Game Talk: Nashville 4 Edmonton 0

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You still had faith in Chia? I lost faith in him at the beginning of his tenure when he pulled off a big trade at the draft - giving up two top picks for Griffin Reinhart.

I shouted at my TV screen when that trade happened, and knew this organization was doomed with poor management. Chia is a bottom 5 GM and it's no coincidence the Oilers will finish bottom 5 this season.

Get a top 5 GM and coach like Vegas and look what happens.

Dislike button if possible.

GMGM was not a top 5 GM, every one thought he was making poor choices at the time not mention he was run out of Washington for doing nothing to take the Caps over the top.

And you lost faith in Chia before a game was played.

worthless opinion.

not to mention with Vegas we have a team where every player has a chip on their shoulders because their former team left them exposed. are they over achieving ? on paper they certainly seem to be, they seem like a classic case of a team full of underdogs exceeding expectations. could we see a crash in the future? if we do you can beat GMGM won't do a thing about it, please don't compare him to a top 5 GM, or even Chia.

Does last years success count for Chia? if it doesn't don't count this year for GMGM. Small sample size

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Pretty much have to win 3 out of 4 games from here on out.

I'm sick and tired of getting my hopes up.

There is no hope of it now. I hate tanking but they may as well be going for a high draft pick to be honest. Would be good if the season ended today.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Rumour is the opposing coaches may have found our PP sketch.

muffins_assorted_set.png

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I hear you @frag2 . Not really arguing with your evaluation of the weaknesses in LB's game. But as one of the guys who hated Dubnyk, led the charge to dump him, and made several overly confident posts saying he would be out of the league a year after the Oilers gave up on him, I'm going to take it a little cautious with LB. Dubnyk had a hundred games in Edmonton and was still looking shaky as hell on any given night. He got handed the starting job before he had really proven he had worked those yips out of his game. Compared to that LB hasn't even got his feet wet yet.

Can't argue with your last sentence at all. :nod:

Well you weren’t exactly wrong that Dubs might’ve played his last game in the league at the time. Both his first 2 post-Oilers teams sent him the AHL as soon as they got him.
He had to get min wage to prove himself to other teams. Also, he had Burke as a goalie coach, not this nobody we have.

The irony of Schwartz being this huge head trajectory guy yet he struggles to fix LBs inability to follow the puck

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
No our GM just overestimated this team.

Been saying it all summer, you have to make it to the dance.

We downgraded Eberle. We knew Sekera was injured. We got rid of poo for... nothing? We didn't get a backup worth a damn.

Chia ****ed up real bad. We're talking about lack of depth, I mean shoot... we had it, but we pissed it away and gifted spots to youngsters who didn't force their way in.

We could have forward depth like this with our current cap hit;

Maroon - McDavid - Pulju
Lucic - Drai - Slepyshev / Drake
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian

Instead we have;
Lucic - McDavid - Pulju
Maroon - RNH - Cammaleri
Khaira - Drai - Strome
Drake - Letestu - Kassian
Capspace burning a hole in our pocket.

We're smaller, slower, easier to play against and have less finish. And we are having injuries and shoddy goaltending. Chia really screwed the poooch; it's not even like i expected him to go out and make wonderful deals, he just had to not downgrade our current roster by 4 slots for nothing.
If you think putting eberle on our 3rd line somehow makes us a better team then I don't know what to tell you. We'd still be shit. Chia failed in putting together a competent defence. That's my gripe

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
There is no hope of it now. I hate tanking but they may as well be going for a high draft pick to be honest. Would be good if the season ended today.

If they go on a 12 game win streak suddenly we really back in this. If McDavids butt has stopped leaking I don't see why this team with the greatest line and player in all of hockey can't do that. Believe.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
No one wanted a soft 6 million dollar winger that couldn't put up points when it mattered. If there wS a better deal available it would have been explored.

I'd gladly have Ebs back. Ebs was our best player over the the last decade. Ebs is a proven first line winger. Strome on the other hand is a fringe NHLer, always has been. The Islanders fleeced the Oilers yet again.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really didn't expect a win. We played quite well and then the wheels feel off.

However NSH is a team that went to the cup final and then added Turris, Hartnell, Emelin, and Bonino

What did they lose? Colin Wilson and Brad Hunt

They are going to be a tough team to beat this year. Have to be close to the odds on favourite to win

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one wanted a soft 6 million dollar winger that couldn't put up points when it mattered. If there wS a better deal available it would have been explored.
So do the 82 games leading up to the playoffs suddenly not matter? Strome is worthless and has about as many points as Eberle has goals. There was no reason to make this idiotic trade.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
I'd gladly have Ebs back. Ebs was our best player over the the last decade. Ebs is a proven first line winger. Strome on the other hand is a fringe NHLer, always has been. The Islanders fleeced the Oilers yet again.

I don't think there was a future for him here after that pathetic playoff performance. All those years of no playoffs and in his first two rounds he lays a literal egg. Everyone hated him and wanted him gone.

There's just no coming back mentally from that if he stays.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think there was a future for him here after that pathetic playoff performance. All those years of no playoffs and in his first two rounds he lays a literal egg. Everyone hated him and wanted him gone.

There's just no coming back mentally from that if he stays.
RNH was just as bad and seems to be doing fine. There was no reason to trade him and Strome should be shipped out of here as well. He's a complete nothing.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Really didn't expect a win. We played quite well and then the wheels feel off.

However NSH is a team that went to the cup final and then added Turris, Hartnell, Emelin, and Bonino

What did they lose? Colin Wilson and Brad Hunt

They are going to be a tough team to beat this year. Have to be close to the odds on favourite to win
very good coaching staff and gm. they have made some very good moves. it shows solid D ,solid goaltending and forward depth .got a ways to go to catch up im afraid

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Totally agree with this. I'm not going to join the parade of folks crapping on LB. He hasn't been good enough, its obvious, but he could still improve.

But why not just give Ellis a start. Even just one. LB has had a bunch of chances and he hasn't grabbed the ball. What could possibly be so wrong with giving the other kid a shot? Just don't understand. Another reason to doubt this coaching staff.

Ellis should have started the 3rd just to get him some playing time before any scenario involving the team needing to count on him. Plus it was a chance to go it without LB being a total goat.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
I think if you thin LB was the problem last night you are out to lunch. The save % stats are deceiving. I would say 1 goal (#3) was reasonably stoppable. But was a result of a blown assignment by Lucic. Scorer ends up with the puck right in the slot. Those are HON candidate saves if hes making the cross crease saves. And the first one was obviously a high stick. The shots may have been lopsided ubut I would wager that 90% are long shots from the outside, with very little chance of going in. No traffic. Easy Saves. I know a lot of you need something to latch on to and blame but I dont think its LB.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I think if you thin LB was the problem last night you are out to lunch. The save % stats are deceiving. I would say 1 goal (#3) was reasonably stoppable. But was a result of a blown assignment by Lucic. Scorer ends up with the puck right in the slot. Those are HON candidate saves if hes making the cross crease saves. And the first one was obviously a high stick. The shots may have been lopsided ubut I would wager that 90% are long shots from the outside, with very little chance of going in. No traffic. Easy Saves. I know a lot of you need something to latch on to and blame but I dont think its LB.

If that was directed at my post, I meant LB wasn't to blame and was the best time to get Ellis some minutes without cutting into LB's confidence. "Good game kid, not your fault we're letting Ellis have the 3rd"... something like that.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
RNH was just as bad and seems to be doing fine. There was no reason to trade him and Strome should be shipped out of here as well. He's a complete nothing.

Despite them both being garbage, Nuge had 2 more pts, was a minus 3 compared to minus 6 and had 10 more shots all while playing a harder position. He actually had some positive moments while Eberle had zero. I remember a thread a while back on this board about Eberle saying that he felt bad here or something in that direction so clearly it affected him.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
very good coaching staff and gm. they have made some very good moves. it shows solid D ,solid goaltending and forward depth .got a ways to go to catch up im afraid

I have no idea how Poile makes these ridiculous trades tbh. He must be the Letestu of GM's and have major dirt so they feed him PP time, or first line players for junk.

Editing thoughts in here because I don't want to triple post (double is bad enough) but I'm shocked we've looked good visually even with two of our best D injured.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If they go on a 12 game win streak suddenly we really back in this. If McDavids butt has stopped leaking I don't see why this team with the greatest line and player in all of hockey can't do that. Believe.

I'll be happy with a 2 game win streak at this point. Let's not get ahead of ourselves :p

Remember that old saying about making the saves that count? Yea, we could use those now. The only ones he had no chance, IMO, were high stick and that 4th goal. The 2 cross creases weren't exactly impossible. First one, Nurse lost sight but LB's pad was too short from the post. Second one, his glove wasn't fast enough because he wasn't tracking well.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd be at least one wouldve been stopped by Talbot

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Despite them both being garbage, Nuge had 2 more pts, was a minus 3 compared to minus 6 and had 10 more shots all while playing a harder position. He actually had some positive moments while Eberle had zero. I remember a thread a while back on this board about Eberle saying that he felt bad here or something in that direction so clearly it affected him.
People wanted to run RNH out of town last year too. It was a mistake. And you just know they're going to qualify Strome. Chia can't get good value on players and if that was his best offer he should have just kept him.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
People wanted to run RNH out of town last year too. It was a mistake. And you just know they're going to qualify Strome. Chia can't get good value on players and if that was his best offer he should have just kept him.

In hindsight it looks bad but at the time it made a lot of sense. We ditch cap space (which maybe we should use) and dealt him after a disappointing playoff run (for him). The cap difference obviously lessened our return and IMO it's not likely he would be the player he is now in NY that he would be if he played here.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
In hindsight it looks bad but at the time it made a lot of sense. We ditch cap space (which maybe we should use) and dealt him after a disappointing playoff run (for him). The cap difference obviously lessened our return and IMO it's not likely he would be the player he is now in NY that he would be if he played here.

That's the problem though. We got this cap space so we can 'allegedly' use during trade deadline to make a run in the playoffs. Looks like we should use it to make a run at MAKING the playoffs.

Instead, we have this space...just to know we have this space.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I hear you @frag2 . Not really arguing with your evaluation of the weaknesses in LB's game. But as one of the guys who hated Dubnyk, led the charge to dump him, and made several overly confident posts saying he would be out of the league a year after the Oilers gave up on him, I'm going to take it a little cautious with LB. Dubnyk had a hundred games in Edmonton and was still looking shaky as hell on any given night. He got handed the starting job before he had really proven he had worked those yips out of his game. Compared to that LB hasn't even got his feet wet yet.

I didn't hate Doobie, but I hated his inability to focus for a full game. Your posts may have been overly confident, but they were likely reasonable. He had to beg for a shot as the Coyotes backup. Then played out of his mind for the Wild. Nobody goes from crapping the bed in the AHL to a Vezina finalist the next season. That doesn't mean it is worth pissing away this season because LB might catch the same miracle run that Dubnyk did.

fwiw Doobie had returned to form. His career looks to be somewhere between Jim Carey and Tim Thomas at this point. Middling backup catches fire for a while and crashes down to earth. That six year deal Doobie signed with the Wild is looking more and more like an albatross.

When Doobie played with the Oilers he was incredibly frustrating because he would make some unbelievable goals but then let up a softie a game. The team played with no confidence in front of him unless they were up two or three.

Croissant doesn't let in as many softies as Oilers-era Dubnyk, but he still lets in too many. Croissant needs to make some big saves. The Preds had four good scoring chances last night and buried all of them. The fourth goal he was slow coming across. It would have been a good save to make. He had a chance on the first goal.

Reactions: harpoon

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
46 shots, but not many grade a chances. I don't like this stratagey of just pounding shots on net from the perimeter if no one is going to the net. We're too skilled to be doing that. We have to be making plays that count and capitalizing on them. Winning the corsi battle means nothing if you can't get the 2 pts.

Mclellan strategy of shooting from anywhere is not working.
Settling for a low danger shot on net means you're giving up possession of the puck.
This guy should not be coaching our team due to a shopping list of reasons

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It only made sense if that cap space was put to good use and there was a point long before the season started that it wasn't going to happen. The Oilers arrived at the point where they should be looking to acquire players, not get rid of them. This is McDavid's last year of ELC so why are we looking for cap space this year? The proper thing to do would've been to trade Eberle next offseason if needed. If you're a smart GM you can move things around to make cap space at the TDL. There's a reason why most contenders are at or near the cap and still manage to pick up good players at the deadline.

The Oilers don't have any prospects of worth, so we're forced to deal picks in the hopes that something might turn out because lord knows we can't draft worth a damn either. I mean did those picks we got in the Petry trade turn into anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad