Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Egil said:
You can't throw the puck out of your zone. That is a rediculous abuse of how hockey should be played. Give me a break.

You can. That's the rules. You can throw the puck out of your own zone. Of course you can't pick it up from the ice and throw it,but if you can for example reach a high pass, you can throw it away if you just dont close your hand to hold the puck there. I am shocked if you guys have not seen that in practise before...

Hell..just last night Olli Jokinen tried to throw the puck out of Finlands zone when he had lost his stick...puck was on the ice so naturally he could not pick it up so he tried to hit it away with his hand. When the puck is airborne, you can just simply slam it out if you wish.

Like I said, consult the rulebook, this rule has been there forever, and is also used often.

SENSible1*

Ridiculous decision.

Nash should have been gone for the rest of the tournament.

For the record, I'm a Canadian and huge supporter of Team Canada, however players should never be allowed to get away with touching the officials.

Truly an embarrassment for the IIHF that they would be this spineless.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
IIHF made the right descission. Nash didn't hook the referee on purpose. He thought it was a player because he accidently dropped his lenses :propeller

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Westlander said:
If you know so much about our history, you would also know it's not that simple. There are conflicting claims about where and by who the first game of hockey (I mean the modern game, not some other sport with a vague resemblance) was played. Some say Montreal, others Kingston, and there are others as well. In any case it's not 100% clear.

The other problem is, in that time period the lines between who was considered 'British' and who was considered 'Canadian' were very much blurred. Many people thought of themsleves as both, even after confederation. Using your measuring stick, you could say that Canada itself was invented by the British. The point is, even if the people who invented hockey were 'British', hockey is not a British sport in the same way as football or cricket.

It is that simple, look anywhere and it is widely acknowledged that British soliders based in Nova Scotia invented ice hockey. As for who was British and who was Canadian, well call me old fashioned but if you're in the British army, then there's a high probability that you are in fact British! :D

And what makes you say hockey isn't a British sport?? We're born with hockey sticks, it's just that we dont know how to use them, and can often be seen hitting the puck with the wrong end, or using the stick to beat people up at soccer matches. You cant walk about Britain without either stepping on a hockey stick or walking into a damn castle! :biglaugh:

So it's our sport so there!!!!! :sarcasm:

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Now that I've seen the footage I think I can fairly say that he should get the boot. What the hell was that?

I like Sweden's representatives' comment though: "We only did it to illustrate to the children what not to do. We didn't want him suspended." This tattler should get beat up for saying this.

SChan*

SPORT-10s88nashgrabb_368.jpg

Sammy*

Thunderstruck said:
Ridiculous decision.

Nash should have been gone for the rest of the tournament.

For the record, I'm a Canadian and huge supporter of Team Canada, however players should never be allowed to get away with touching the officials.

Truly an embarrassment for the IIHF that they would be this spineless.

Totally agree. This is a frickin joke.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Wingmanrob said:
It is that simple, look anywhere and it is widely acknowledged that British soliders based in Nova Scotia invented ice hockey. As for who was British and who was Canadian, well call me old fashioned but if you're in the British army, then there's a high probability that you are in fact British! :D

And what makes you say hockey isn't a British sport?? We're born with hockey sticks, it's just that we dont know how to use them, and can often be seen hitting the puck with the wrong end, or using the stick to beat people up at soccer matches. You cant walk about Britain without either stepping on a hockey stick or walking into a damn castle! :biglaugh:

So it's our sport so there!!!!! :sarcasm:

Good grief. Out of curiousity, are you even British or just a transplanted Russian?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm a pretty big Nash fan but I have lost a lot of repect for him.
What he did was pretty bad, but in light of knowing he won't be suspended, he's not even remotely apoligizing or admitting wrong doing.

He's still a kid and will make mistakes, but it's mistakes like these that young players learn from ---- they need to know that actions like that are not acceptable.

Too bad the IIHF and team Canada are letting him off the hook. :(

Last edited:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Bob McKenzie's mention that Nash had shoved an official in a pre-tournament game in Quebec tells me that Rick Nash didn't understand that you cannot touch an official. That must explain why he did what he did on Saturday night. It is surprising that a high level hockey player wouldn't know that. It is interesting how he has done it twice, without any punishment.

Despite the lack of a suspension, I hope he understands that rule now, just based on the commotion and negative press he has gotten in the last 2 days. If he does it again, a stern suspension is warranted, so that he finally gets a clue.

Last edited:

Captain Leaf

Thank God he wasnt suspended ..he SCORED again ..woo hoo ..atta go Nasher!!!!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im glad he scored the GWG, now more attention will go toward the IIHF for not doing anything about it and now effecting the standings. IIHF is a joke. (All toward the IIHF and not Nash or Canada)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Zine said:
I'm a pretty big Nash fan but I have lost a lot of repect for him.
What he did was pretty bad, but in light of knowing he won't be suspended, he's not even remotely apoligizing or admitting wrong doing.

He's still a kid and will make mistakes, but it's mistakes like these that young players learn from ---- they need to know that actions like that are not acceptable.

Too bad the IIHF and team Canada are letting him off the hook. :(

I don't think his age is an exuse here. He should have learned it as a kid.

If someone doesn't sit him down and set him straight, chances are he will hurt his NHL team in the future. And those that pay him millions of dollars a year won't like it at all.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
You're all just mad, cause he's a threat to other teams and he's still playing, haha!!!! We still got Nash!!!

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Van said:
I have never seen such a biased comment. It's "our" game? Go to the IIHF website and see how many nations are IIHF members.

My comment was made before anyone had seen the tape and the point was that Canada isn't treated any differently than anyone else, nor should we be.

It's not bias to say that we created the game, it's not bias to say that we're now competing for a "World Championship" played with rules that differ from our own, and with refs that call the game much differently from our own. It's not bias to say that this tournament is geared toward the European style of play. That's stating an educated opinion about the state of international hockey. Some may disagree, and that's there perogative but if you ask me, it's the truth.

Before you comment any further you might want to take a look at this thread and identify the point at which posts turn from "not having seen the Nash incident" to "having seen the Nash incident".

I was merely trying to point out that you can't judge an incident from one picture and up until that point, I had reserved judgement on the Nash issue.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
BigE said:
My comment was made before anyone had seen the tape and the point was that Canada isn't treated any differently than anyone else, nor should we be.

It's not bias to say that we created the game, it's not bias to say that we're now competing for a "World Championship" played with rules that differ from our own, and with refs that call the game much differently from our own. It's not bias to say that this tournament is geared toward the European style of play. That's stating an educated opinion about the state of international hockey. Some may disagree, and that's there perogative but if you ask me, it's the truth.

Before you comment any further you might want to take a look at this thread and identify the point at which posts turn from "not having seen the Nash incident" to "having seen the Nash incident".

I was merely trying to point out that you can't judge an incident from one picture and up until that point, I had reserved judgement on the Nash issue.

Right, but I think you underestimate how much "your own" hockey has been influenced by the European style. There are certain differences between countries but the line has certainly been blurred. Gretzky played a European-style game. In fact, Canada could have picked a very European style team that would have excelled in this type of tourney.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Yeah and what is the difference these days? Canada certainly did not bring a physical performance against Finland, in fact Finland dominated the physical game there. There was a time when Canada and USA were always trying to "scare" the opponents by playing tough. It worked in the 80's but these days the opponents give back just as hard. There is no point to it anymore.

Captain Leaf

I dont know ..i think Canada at the World Juniors punished the Russians into submission pretty good .

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
That's true too, the differences aren't nearly what they used to be and even at that, it was mostly just over-hyped stereotypes. The fact remains that the games are still very different, especially in the mindset of what is and what is not appropriate. I like our version better because it's more rugged and versatile but I know many that like the finesse style. The only thing is, you're bound to see the trap in both games...more so on the bigger ice. What do you have in a 1-1 game with 15 shots a piece if the teams don't play physical? It becomes football at that point - boring.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
BigE said:

Wrong. Lots of people had seen the incident LIVE. Finns and Swedes reported seeing it and they get a different feed than TSN apparently. Now, if you look at the beginning of the thread, you'll see that many of those making comments were from those two countries. The fact that you had not seen the tape at that point doesn't mean that others had not seen it.

mackdogs*

I haven't read this whole thread (tried but pissing contests get old fast) but I want to hypothesize that the ref(s) let Nash get away with what he did because they completely gassed the call? It seems the Swedish player closing his hand on the puck has been completely forgotten here as Canada gets villified for an IIHF decision (ya, that makes a lot of sense.) I'm guessing the ref knew he blew the call and did a bit of an 'even up' play by not giving Nash a penalty or writing him up after the play. Seems to make sense. Of course the ref could also have realized it was emotion driven and could easily be shrugged off and must not have caused any physical pain.

Anyways just my .02 before this thread gets closed. Time to move on folks....

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Should be out. You don't like the call, you get your captain or coach to talk to the refs about it. You never grab them, with hand or stick. It's simple.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Captain Leaf said:
I dont know ..i think Canada at the World Juniors punished the Russians into submission pretty good .

That team won because it was a superior team in terms of talent and play, not because of any particular game plan. Canada tried the same thing against Russia in 2003 and lost because Russia had the better team that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad