Confirmed with Link: Nas and Recchi let go per Fitz

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Probably because his PK was decent.

My main beef with Nas, and I've said this several times before, is that none of your young defensemen seem to progress under him. The only argument you could make is Severson, and maybe... MAYBE Moore, but everyone else seems to regress by the time they hit their 2nd year under him.

I dunno. He's kind of quiet. On the other hand, he WAS our captain, so maybe he's more vocal than I think.
Siegenthaler?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i hope fitz is reaching out to Scott Stevens every day to come on as assistant
He’ll be an assistant with Bruce Boudreau next year in Philly.

Well, I’m kind of just kidding or at least half kidding. Or mostly kidding. I don’t think there’s any chance Stevens is an assistant coach in Philly or probably anywhere next year.

But imagine if Philly hired Boudreau and we’re still running out there with Ruff?

It’s almost like Tocchet was all but hired through the media and grapevine as soon as AV’s seat started to get hot, but they’re waiting till the off-season to announce it while Tocchet finishes out the year with TNT.

That would be best for us, as Tocchet hasn’t worked out anywhere and all indications are that he’s a NO COUNT head coach at the NHL level.

And the more I hear him on TNT (he’s a dinosaur) the more I really believe he’s a shit bag head coach.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Not really. There were stretches where it was a complete dumpster fire. I remember numerous games losig my mind because we could not get a PK and it was league worst bad for awhile.
Mostly because of goaltending. The PK was good this season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Ruff stays, I hope they bring along an assistant that could potentially take over his job if he falters. Ideally a young, up-and-coming coach would be a nice balance for Ruff — Gronborg would be a nice option here.

Something like Gronborg + Stevens (or another defensive assistant with some NHL experience) would be a nice group with different insights.

I wonder if Brylin gets a promotion too after several years with the AHL team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Ruff stays, I hope they bring along an assistant that could potentially take over his job if he falters. Ideally a young, up-and-coming coach would be a nice balance for Ruff — Gronborg would be a nice option here.

Something like Gronborg + Stevens (or another defensive assistant with some NHL experience) would be a nice group with different insights.
We’ll probably get this guy and we’ll like it

25E09BBC-339C-4DDC-B75B-04CEDABAD97E.jpeg

I know some people really will like it. I’d cringe.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We’ll probably get this guy and we’ll like it

View attachment 540498

I know some people really will like it. I’d cringe.
I wouldn’t mind as an assistant. Then you can at least get a feel for how he is liked around the room.

Utica was a very average team after that hot start. Obviously the team being depleted doesn’t help, but I think Dineen needs a strong playoff run before he gets an immediate NHL promotion, even as an assistant.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Ruff stays, I hope they bring along an assistant that could potentially take over his job if he falters.
I could actually see that being Dineen assuming he doesn’t get a head job this season - ours or otherwise

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Mostly because of goaltending. The PK was good this season.
There were multiple seasons where the PK came out weird, struggled, and then returned to their more traditional setup.

One year they had the 4 guys standing in a T formation that was awful. This season the PK was ultra low pressure. They PK didn’t work in those instances.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Until Fitz says “He’s staying” I still think he’s gone, but his chances of being fired certainly do take huge a hit with the announcement the assistants being fired, but no announcement that he’s been fired.

There is always a chance he’s rehearsing resignations /retirement speech for sometime over the next few weeks, or that we’re keeping him as of this moment, but we’re waiting to see who’s available once the off-season is in full swing. Boudreau, among others.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Is there a reason for the skepticism on Dineen?

I mean, I know he hasn't gotten a ton of NHL head coaching experience (for what it's worth, those Panther rosters are ROUGH to look at), but he has been pretty successful in the AHL under 3 organizations while also getting quality NHL assistant coaching experience too.

I realize he's only been here one year so who knows if Utica's season is fluky or not, but there are worse candidates to consider I'd imagine.

I'm all aboard the Sarge train anyway. :laugh:

Reactions: HBK27

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago

I mean, I know he hasn't gotten a ton of NHL head coaching experience but he has been pretty successful in the AHL under 3 organizations while also getting quality NHL assistant coaching experience too.

I realize he's only been here one year so who knows if Utica's season is fluky or not, but there are worse candidates to consider I'd imagine.

Yes, mediocre results in previous NHL stints and pretty piss pour possession and chances against #'s in Utica

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still believe that he until Fitz says “he’s coming back” that he’s not coming back, but I think the chances of him not coming back took a huge hit today.

Why would they announce the firing of two assistants, but not announce the firing of Ruff if his firing was imminent?

Now, there’s always a chance he’s in the process of writing and rehearsing his resignation/retirement speech to be given in the next couple weeks. Or even a decent chance that we are keeping him as of this very moment, but waiting until the off-season is in full swing to see who becomes available, Boudreau among others.

There may even be an assistant or two that’s currently coaching in the playoffs (I don’t want to take a guess or speculate who, just generalizing here) who we can’t speak to yet. And maybe we’re leaving Ruff in command for now, but perhaps that changes by July/August?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, mediocre results in previous NHL stints and pretty piss pour possession and chances against #'s in Utica

Good to know on the advanced stuff in Utica. So there's a possibility that this season has been propped up by goaltending and finishing there?

I advise everyone questioning the NHL stint in Florida to look back at those rosters. Those were going to be tough to win with at all. Amazed they got a division win out of 2012.

Reactions: Mgd31

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I mean, I know he hasn't gotten a ton of NHL head coaching experience (for what it's worth, those Panther rosters are ROUGH to look at), but he has been pretty successful in the AHL under 3 organizations while also getting quality NHL assistant coaching experience too.

He’s the kind of guy that would he fine if Ruff had gotten fired in-season and he could audition (like Nas got to do two years ago) by being the interim head coach the rest of the year, but I think it would be a pretty weak hire to start a season with him and give him a contract to be the head coach on more than an interim basis without seeing how he he does without being head coach on an interim basis.

Reactions: McDuffz88

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Those goaltending numbers in Dineen's 2nd and 3rd (partial) year before he was fired look awfully familiar. :laugh:

Look at those player rosters though. Woof! Their leading point scorer in 76 games in 2013-2014 was Nick Bjugstad with 38! :laugh:

Reactions: Dialamo

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not super into the idea of Dineen. Regardless I think it'll be Ruff next year anyway.

They should not go anywhere near Dineen, Ruff is 100 times better. If Lindy doesn't come back, it better be for a no brainer like Boudreau, Montgomery, Tortorella or maybe Gronborg if he shakes loose. Otherwise, I would rather bring Ruff back than a lukewarm choice like Dineen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad