Confirmed with Link: Nas and Recchi let go per Fitz

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I will admit I liked Nas. Another team will scoop him up fast. Dude is actually decent. But yeah we needed to clean house. Now waiting on Lindy to be fired

Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, he was awful, and that was WITH Crosby and Malkin. But he's an ex Pen.

He's also a guy who was 5'10" and was one of the best scoring forwards of all time. Could he run a power play, no, do I think he helped guys like Hughes and Bratt's overall games, probably.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm still shocked Recchi was hired to run out PP. I mean, didn't he have a HORRIBLE record running the Pitt PP? Wasn't it the main reason he was fired from there?
NHL old boys club hire.

He's also a guy who was 5'10" and was one of the best scoring forwards of all time. Could he run a power play, no, do I think he helped guys like Hughes and Bratt's overall games, probably.
That's why you have skill development coaches and special assignment coaches though, and he'd probably be fine doing that. You don't let them run your entire offense when they have proven to be terrible at it.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I certainly think Nas is a better coach than people on this board give him credit for. That said, it is in the best interest for both him and the team to move on. Thanks for your time Nas.

As for Wrecky, I don't want to celebrate someone losing their job but I also have to pull a Bob Slydell and try and confirm what it is he actually did here.

giphy.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh

Ruff needs to go too, but I do believe Recchi was the most of all evil here, assuming he was the one that had the most input of the power play.

It ain’t Ruff’s fault the goalies sucked (i don’t believe it is, some of you do) but I don’t see how he survives next year or at least next offseason. It’s gotta be playoffs or bust for him.

I am afraid if we don’t get a LEGIT goalie, if not an ELITE goalie he will lean on Blackwood.

He seems to have as much of a fetish for Blackwood as DeBoer did for Brodeur his last year here or like the fetish he had for Martin Jones in San Jose.

If the acquired goalie starts struggling, I’m pretty sure he’ll throw Blackwood in there like what Laviolette was doing benching Vanecek for Samsonov late in the season after Vanecek struggled a little bit.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
i hope fitz is reaching out to Scott Stevens every day to come on as assistant
I feel like I have little handle on if Stevens is a good coach or not. He may be awesome, I just don’t even have a place to start with.

If you had me select an ex-Devils defenseman to join a coaching staff then I’d choose Salvador.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Well it’s good to know management is willing to at least do the bare minimum that’s obvious to everyone. Let’s see what happens from here.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I certainly think Nas is a better coach than people on this board give him credit for. That said, it is in the best interest for both him and the team to move on. Thanks for your time Nas.

As for Wrecky, I don't want to celebrate someone losing their job but I also have to pull a Bob Slydell and try and confirm what it is he actually did here.

giphy.gif
At the end of the season, I actually found myself very forgiving of Nas and he kind of won me over from the beginning of the season.

For our penalty kill to finish in the top half of the league with THIS kind of goaltending, Nas probably deserves at least a nomination for assistant coach of the year (I know there’s no such award) for that.

I don’t think he was fired because the penalty kill wasn’t good enough. I think he was fired because he’s been here so long and I can’t think of a full time assistant coach (not including Jacques Caron, a goalie coach) that’s been here with the NHL team as long as Nas has. Sergei Brylin has been an assistant with the AHL team longer than Nas was an assistant with the NHL team, but I can’t think of a main assistant (not special assignment coach) that was here full time for the NHL team for 7 years.

Larry Robinson was off and on here between assistant coach, head coach, assistant again, head coach again, special assignment again, assistant again from 1999-2012 but once again, he wasn’t a full time assistant or head coach for that many consecutive years here.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
It's worth noting that Nas wasn't fired, his contract ran out. Either the team didn't want to extend him or he wanted to find another opportunity. I'm sure he'll be back somewhere.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I feel like I have little handle on if Stevens is a good coach or not. He may be awesome, I just don’t even have a place to start with.

If you had me select an ex-Devils defenseman to join a coaching staff then I’d choose Salvador.
I'm pretty sure Sal would be a great assistant.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What’s the statistical basis for liking Nas again?
Probably because his PK was decent.

My main beef with Nas, and I've said this several times before, is that none of your young defensemen seem to progress under him. The only argument you could make is Severson, and maybe... MAYBE Moore, but everyone else seems to regress by the time they hit their 2nd year under him.

I'm pretty sure Sal would be a great assistant.
I dunno. He's kind of quiet. On the other hand, he WAS our captain, so maybe he's more vocal than I think.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The PK has generally been solid under him, even with a ton of roster turnover.
Not really. There were stretches where it was a complete dumpster fire. I remember numerous games losig my mind because we could not get a PK and it was league worst bad for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad