Rumor: Namestnikov Gaining Some Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Miller is a better player but taking into account contracts, i'd obviously prefer Vlad as the cap space gained is the biggest asset between all 3 of them.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Its a shame that Names hasnt been anywhere near what he was with Tampa. His zone entry stats are very very good and thats something important in todays NHL. But he hasnt had the puck. Other than that nice pull-up and feed to Hayes' crossbar last night we havent seen much of anything dynamic from him. He slotted in perfectly with the roster in TB and it just doesnt seem to fit in NY.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Why did we sign Spooner to a 2-year deal again?

The guy looks like his NHL career is dwindling and at it's tail end. You can't even trade him now given the commitment a team would have to make to him. 2 years and 4M dollar cap hit....

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Why did we sign Spooner to a 2-year deal again?

The guy looks like his NHL career is dwindling and at it's tail end. You can't even trade him now given the commitment a team would have to make to him. 2 years and 4M dollar cap hit....
because he put up points last year and we need bodies because we don't have NHL ready wingers..

Could we have just thought to move chytil to the wing at first? yea. We also could've trusted that all our defensemen would be ready and not wasted draft capital and money on Mcquaid and Claesson.

I think the FO were stuck trying to rebuild without looking like you were tanking. I can't imagine Dolan approving both of his teams outwardly tanking.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think this is a sentiment that gets lost amidst fans and media trying to decide a winner and loser in trades, this one more specifically. None of us will ever know how the negotiations went. And like nyr2k2 said, Miller may very well have been the piece to close the deal, and Gorton went fishing to something useful off their roster in return.

But I don't think it's fair to assess the value given to TB (in McD and Miller) as being better than what we received, and not address what the cost of keeping those two guys would have been for us. The organization very clearly soured on JT over the course of his career. Maybe they would have offered him a short-term contract as another prove yourself deal, but they were never going to offer him 5+ years at $6+ mil per season. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and try to find the best return possible, which I think is what they tried to do here.

And hell, if we end up with a middle-6 C and two top-6 defensemen out of this trade...I would argue it went just as well for us. If TB doesn't win a Cup, I would say we won. Still a long way off from rendering that decision though.

If Tampa wins, it means we received two firsts.

If Tampa doesn't win, it means after two playoff runs, McD and Miller still didn't get them over the hump.

The first scenario certainly enhances the deal. The second scenario would certainly be pretty telling.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Namestikov has been very good. He's also barely being played.

He's been very good? What???

How can you look at his numbers and actually make that comment? This isn't a 19 year old rookie where you can look beyond stats since they are still developing other parts of their game

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Tampa wins, it means we received two firsts.

If Tampa doesn't win, it means after two playoff runs, McD and Miller still didn't get them over the hump.

The first scenario certainly enhances the deal. The second scenario would certainly be pretty telling.

Tampa is projected to have something like a 12-15% chance of winning the cup. I don't think it would be telling of much of anything if they don't happen to win.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Tampa is projected to have something like a 12-15% chance of winning the cup. I don't think it would be telling of much of anything if they don't happen to win.
Agreed. There is a lot other moving parts of a team aside from just McD and Miller.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Namestnikov has been by far our best player at driving play.

He's playing on the 4th line, I don't know what kind of production people are expecting.

Wasn't playing on 4th line last season and still gave us shit production.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Right now the deal basically works out to Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist, Namestnikov and whatever we do with either a first or second round pick, for McD and Miller at a combined $12 million dollars for the next half decade. (With McD signed for two additional years).

So even going beyond the trade itself for a moment, we still have to acknowledge that Miller and McD would've probably cost the Rangers somewhere in the neighborhood of $14 million.

Sadly other than Howden most of those assets aren't looking too great at the moment.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
JT Miller is one of those players that people like, and when you dig deeper, no one really understands why he's like as much as he is.

He's a guy who can put up some good point totals during the regular season --- good for about about 22 goals and 55 points. The numbers go up if paired with a top notch center.

But he's also not a guy who drives the line, he seems to get himself demoted quite a bit, and he certainly hasn't established himself as a playoff performer. His hockey sense and commitment away from the puck is often pretty questionable.

But he does just enough of things we like to see --- scoring, physicality, etc. But the sum never seems to equal the parts.

I sometimes wonder if he's going to be one of those guys who suddenly finds himself out of the league one day and anyone not familiar with him will go on Hockeydb.com, see the numbers and question why.

then what is Namestnikov or Spooner or Vesey or Hayes or Zibanejad or Kreider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad