Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He'd be a great bottom 6 player on a contender. Could slot into the Top 6 too.

Wonder what he'd look like on a team like...say...Tampa? :dunno:

Reactions: Nickmo82

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
He's been playing better these past few games. That being said, I won't miss him one bit. Do it, Gorton!

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Putting up Tanner Glass numbers. Boy did he need Stamkos to shine.

He's not doing a lot more than what our youngsters can do this or next season, if we're rebuilding I see no actual reason to keep him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Namestnikov on a good team will probably go back to being a good player. He doesn't have a really defined role here and IMO if you want to get the best out of him he needs a role. $4 mil per I thought was too much for what we saw at the tail end of last year. He got that contract pretty much on the numbers he put up in Tampa.

If we're going draft picks I'd be fine with a late 1st for him--maybe an early 2nd. I wouldn't want less than that. Barring that a young player with some real promise and preferably a forward.

I'm not a fan of Spooner's. I never was. Part of that comes from knowing certain Bruins fans and hearing them talk about him. With that team he never really worked himself into a top 6 role. He's a slick sometimes very creative offensive player--but also a soft, perimeter player whose two way game is below average. On a deeper team IMO he's not that bad of a part but it should be kept in mind most of his offense is going to come from playmaking rather than from scoring goals. He's not a guy that hangs around the net and gets dirty goals. Like Namestnikov the $4 mil per is more than I think he's worth.

For him--I don't know--a mid to late 2nd? An early 3rd and a 4th?

Basically both of them are part of the passenger end of the Rangers airplane and Buch and Vesey are sitting maybe a row in front of them. Can't have too many passengers or your team is really going to suck.

Reactions: Crease

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'd send him back to Tampa for their 3rd and removing the condition on their pick from the McDonagh trade to be a guaranteed 1st.

Did you mean the Rangers will get a guaranteed 1st or guaranteed 2nd after removing the condition? It's not clear.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's a 30-35 point guy who plays solid defensive hockey and can play both wing and center. He hasn't had a clearly defined role in NY since he was acquired. Wing to center, back to wing, top-6, PP, 4th line, PK only, playing with McLeod, playing with Hayes. Honestly, it's been a mess. That's not to say he shouldn't have more point because I think he should but the team needs to find him a home with another player who he plays well with and let the guy settle in to a specific role.

I wonder if a team like Dallas would be a nice home for him. They really need secondary scoring. They have Radulov and Nichuskin on their team. Perhaps that allows them to break up their top line and play Namestnikov in a role as the puck retriever and defensive player on the line with Benn and Seguin similar to what he did with Stamkos and Kucherov? Move Radulov down to play with Nichuskin and a guy like Faksa.

Perhaps the Rangers take a guy like Hanzal off of their hands and get the Dallas 1st back

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
He's not getting more than a 2nd or middling prospect...

We should be chasing firsts. I wonder if there's a package that would allow for that, but I doubt it. Even with retention. I think we'll see 1-2 of Zucc, Hayes or Kreider moved but not yet. I did expect either Namest or Spooner to be gone sooner than later.

It's a tricky period right now, new guys coming in and not yet adjusted so needing a decent vet core while also chasing picks and prospects to grow into something competitive. Next season should be a lot more indicative of how quickly or slowly we get it going.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If I were to pick between the two, I'd keep Names just because he actually can play in a bottom 6. Spooner is just looking invisible :shakehead.

Agree here on these two. Early on i was all aboard the Spooner train, and despised Names...literally.

But, i have to say ive changed that tune. Spooner doesn't fit the bill in Quinn's system. He'd be much better off in a counter attack style of hockey.

Names, despite the terrible lack of offensive production i actually think can work in this system. I think he is a little dejected, and he's in his own head now but this guy can play. He's not a top 6 guy. Tampa traded him high. But he's a pretty solid all around player who i think can find a niche here during the rebuild.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Namestnikov got 48 points last season--a lot of that riding shotgun with Stamkos and Kucherov and very little of it with us but if he had stayed with Tampa he would have likely been between 55 and 60 IMO. So I don't think a late 1st is an outlandish idea on our part for him especially considering it's not a guaranteed NHL player even.

I think a lot of what's going on with him is about role and in Tampa they found roles for him. The Rangers have been having difficulty slotting him. Fast is about as good offensively but better defensively. He's the guy we've been moving around from line to line. Namestnikov had no chemistry with anyone last year and hasn't really found chemistry this year. In Tampa he was a 3rd liner and then turned into a dependable anchor last year on their top line. It's easier for third liners on good teams when there are elite players ahead of them. It's even easier to contribute when they directly put you with those elite players. That's the gig Namestnikov had and I think the Rangers have figured out he's not going to be a big contributor here because we're not a very good team and he's kind of lost in his situation here.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t mind to move him maybe package him with DeAngelo or Pionk to get a top prospect while we rebuild - we can`t have young players not playing hockey games. It`s better to get value in return in the market for either a good young top prospect or a 1st pick in 2019.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don`t mind to move him maybe package him with DeAngelo or Pionk to get a top prospect while we rebuild - we can`t have young players not playing hockey games. It`s better to get value in return in the market for either a good young top prospect or a 1st pick in 2019.

I don't see any way that package gets you a 'top prospect.' I'm not sure Namestnikov is worth much more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder and Deangelo being tossed around by a hot potato is hardly likely to be a commodity at this point. Pionk, I'm not really sure. He has some promising skills, but A LOT of red flags.

Walter t

Mar 12, 2018
Nothing against Names I'd be happy to see him go. A draft choice, or a mid level prospect, or even a vet on an expiring contract would be fine. Same for Spooner or Smith. For Staal I would take an 8th round pick in 2025.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Nothing against Names I'd be happy to see him go. A draft choice, or a mid level prospect, or even a vet on an expiring contract would be fine. Same for Spooner or Smith. For Staal I would take an 8th round pick in 2025.

I don't want anything to do with vets on expiring contracts and not sure why you would either.....it literally makes 0 sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino