Player Discussion Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You make a good point but there is one final thing I want you to consider. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with Yakupov? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with Yakupov! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm an HF poster defending Yakupov, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in this thread deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

The defense rests.
To be fair he doesn't live on Kashyyk cause it was invaded, taken over and a lot of his people were slaughtered... But i get your point.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He may have an elite shot, but it never finds the back of the net. Most times, he either whiffs, or shoots it wide, or other times, or the odd time, into the goalies crest. For a guy who's main calling card was that one-timer, I doubt I've seen a worse one.

Well, you saw Kurtis Foster and his head-hunters, and that's just one. People are saying other stuff like he's the lowest IQ player they've ever seen, and that's just horse **** honestly. A skill like good shot doesn't simply vanish into thin air. You have a player struggling with little confidence for most of his young career, so of course the other areas of his game will also suffer.

Eberle was also missing a ton earlier in the season, but he kept getting top 6 minutes with good players and now he's back to sniping again. Yak doesn't get that kind of support. Roy helped him quite a bit in that regard. Yelled at him a lot, but it was constructive, and he told Yak where to go and what to do. Kept his game simple yet effective. I doubt a guy like Letestu can do that for him, which is why I don't think it makes sense to play him with checkers.

People are entitled to their opinions, but I still don't believe Yakupov has gotten a fair shake in this org. This situation would be a little more palatable if the Oilers were winning and putting Yak in a bigger role could compromise that, but they're not and have not his entire career with the team. All of a sudden, under Eakins tenure, it's decided that the players must become more responsible defensively and sloppy turnovers are not acceptable. Okay, that's cool. But really, it was just Yakupov being singled out for that. Eberle and Hall made stupid toe drag after stupid toe drag, and cheated for offense as well, but they were never given the same treatment Yak was.

Despite what some people seem to believe, the Oilers can afford to give Yak a bigger role. Why they haven't is a mystery, which is what makes this situation so unique and frustrating. If you don't have the patience to develop a player you drafted, then trade him. It's that simple. He has little value, but the organization deserves part of the blame for that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well, you saw Kurtis Foster and his head-hunters, and that's just one. People are saying other stuff like he's the lowest IQ player they've ever seen, and that's just horse **** honestly. A skill like good shot doesn't simply vanish into thin air. You have a player struggling with little confidence for most of his young career, so of course the other areas of his game will also suffer.

Eberle was also missing a ton earlier in the season, but he kept getting top 6 minutes with good players and now he's back to sniping again. Yak doesn't get that kind of support. Roy helped him quite a bit in that regard. Yelled at him a lot, but it was constructive, and he told Yak where to go and what to do. Kept his game simple yet effective. I doubt a guy like Letestu can do that for him, which is why I don't think it makes sense to play him with checkers.

People are entitled to their opinions, but I still don't believe Yakupov has gotten a fair shake in this org. This situation would be a little more palatable if the Oilers were winning and putting Yak in a bigger role could compromise that, but they're not and have not his entire career with the team. All of a sudden, under Eakins tenure, it's decided that the players must become more responsible defensively and sloppy turnovers are not acceptable. Okay, that's cool. But really, it was just Yakupov being singled out for that. Eberle and Hall made stupid toe drag after stupid toe drag, and cheated for offense as well, but they were never given the same treatment Yak was.

Despite what some people seem to believe, the Oilers can afford to give Yak a bigger role. Why they haven't is a mystery, which is what makes this situation so unique and frustrating. If you don't have the patience to develop a player you drafted, then trade him. It's that simple. He has little value, but the organization deserves part of the blame for that.
If Yak had a single rough season shooting percentage wise that's fine.

He has had only one season you could consider his shooting percentage good.

The rest have been below average to awful. The only way Yak could have a worse shooting percentage this year is if he didn't score.

To be a good NHL player you need to overcome adversity. Yak hasn't come close.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

I'm not the biggest Eberle fan, but Eberle had proven that he could score at a 25-30g and 60-70p pace for 3 straight seasons prior to this one.

Nail Yakupov's career scoring output is essentially half of what Eberle's is (roughly 15-20-35 per 82 games). And he was a combined -68 over the 2 seasons prior to this one.

While he may not have gotten a fair shake right off the bat like Eberle did, he sure hasn't done anything to convince the coaching staff that he deserves top 6 minutes. And I don't put much stock into his first 12 games of the season with McDavid.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
here is a question

After both Yak and Schultz get run out of town--who will be the new whipping boys

It was an easy call that those two would be the whipping boys this year. Some unfair but mostly because it is fair for them to be the whipping boy.

Lander will be next years whipping boy if he does not improve but really even as bad as he is it's not like he has a consistent and overtly negative effect on the game like Yak and Schultz.

Depending if we can't get a real upgrade on Schultz, like Harmonic, whoever takes his icetime will most likely take a beating from the fans.

Say Clendening for example.

No one will replace Yak as a whipping boy because Yak is easily replaceable. I have no doubt they could replace Yak with a AHL guy like Pitlick (if he could stay healthy) and the team and fans would be better for it.

I would love it if we finally get a roster where we can just gripe about a guy depending on a bad game or two rather than hating him every time he touches the puck. Ala no more Horcoff, Whiteny, Schultz, Yak, or Gilbert types.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm not the biggest Eberle fan, but Eberle had proven that he could score at a 25-30g and 60-70p pace for 3 straight seasons prior to this one.

Nail Yakupov's career scoring output is essentially half of what Eberle's is (roughly 15-20-35 per 82 games). And he was a combined -68 over the 2 seasons prior to this one.

While he may not have gotten a fair shake right off the bat like Eberle did, he sure hasn't done anything to convince the coaching staff that he deserves top 6 minutes. And I don't put much stock into his first 12 games of the season with McDavid.

I'm not diminishing what Eberle has done. He has had plenty of opportunity to succeed and fail with players of equal skill, which is how it should be for young players on rebuilding teams. However, Yak, from the beginning, never had the leash or opportunities those guys had, and that's why I find it difficult to side with the org on this. He's in a downward spiral at this point, and he's not a veteran player, so saying he should pick himself up by his bootstraps isn't fair. Some young players need more help than others, and for the Oilers to seemingly give up on him when they have no reason to just doesn't sit well with me.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
But you don't really share ANY view critical of Yak [or anyone else that you're tooting] anyway so...

Yak reminds me of O'Sullivan. Has talent, just can't bring it together here-be it personal issues [POS] or lack of IQ [Yak], it's not working. I ***** about Eberle and his soft, uninterested play but I will acknowledge he has a knack for putting up points. Yak always looks like he's trying but it amounts to nothing really.

Like most put, he's a first overall pick so it's fair to expect something out of him...unless you want to admit his draft position wasnt justified.

Hindsight is 20/20...team probably wouldve been better off with someone else. I suppose saving grace is that the entire top 3 in 2012 was disappointing:laugh: Perhaps Burke was right in that Rielly may have been the best :laugh:

I have no vested interest in this or any reason not to be objective on it. My response, as per usual is to a board that targets and prematurely writes off players and has a list of players each year that are scapegoated.

Yak is 22 yrs old. He's repeatedly being called a bust here. At that age. With people not even realizing the presumptuous nature of that determination.

I only brought up Hemsky as demonstration of somebody that didn't find his production until age 23 and with the help of a veteran line and Chris Pronger.

When has Yak had that nature of help?

As per critical evaluation I've had those posts as well and in GDT's and on this thread citing what he should be doing better, for instance his shot.

My views on this player however take into an account how much this team chronically mismanages players.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I have no vested interest in this or any reason not to be objective on it. My response, as per usual is to a board that targets and prematurely writes off players and has a list of players each year that are scapegoated.

Yak is 22 yrs old. He's repeatedly being called a bust here. At that age. With people not even realizing the presumptuous nature of that determination.

I only brought up Hemsky as demonstration of somebody that didn't find his production until age 23 and with the help of a veteran line and Chris Pronger. I like Yakupov and want him to succeed, but don't know if that's ever gonna happen.

Difference is, Hemsky has the hockey IQ to know what to do with the puck. What's frustrating with Yakupov is he quickly moves the puck back and forth between his stick like 20 times, only to not end up doing anything with it. He either coughs it up or there's no real scoring threat. Yakupov can't create his own offensive chances like a Hall or McDavid, which is kinda sad for a 1st overall pick.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I only brought up Hemsky as demonstration of somebody that didn't find his production until age 23 and with the help of a veteran line and Chris Pronger.

Yak needs help but he needs to help himself and he seems incapable of doing as such. There's more than one way to score a goal and I don't know if he realizes that.

It's early to say Yakupov is a bust but it's not too early to say he's trending that way. A prolific junior scorer who simply can't score at the NHL level. And unfortunately can't do much else. For every good thing he does he does two things bad. He drew a penalty yesterday, that is good. Then he proceeded to hand a goal to the Ducks after getting a promotion. That's bad.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Difference is, Hemsky has the hockey IQ to know what to do with the puck. What's frustrating with Yakupov is he quickly moves the puck back and forth between his stick like 20 times, only to not end up doing anything with it. He either coughs it up or there's no real scoring threat. Yakupov can't create his own offensive chances like a Hall or McDavid, which is kinda sad for a 1st overall pick.

With all due respect Hemskys game was very hit and miss the first couple years and with him even being older than when Yak started here. As mentioned Hemmer also had the off year in Europe to hone his game and go home and work on his shortcomings for a complete season. This helped him immensely in his return here for what was actually his 4th year of pro hockey.

Basically my whole point is Yak is just now getting to that tenure and people already writing him off. To be clear people on this board were calling Yak a bust before even the beginning of this season. Which is odd at best.

Finally, Hemmer didn't have to deal with two years of mismanagement of Eakins idiocy and contrary to McT's tenure as Manager, Craig was actually a half decent coach.

The funny thing is one similarity in the players is how much each over manage the puck while stickhandling. Hemmer has simplified his game and puck possession but it also took years for him to learn that.

just saying

peace out. ;)

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yak needs help but he needs to help himself and he seems incapable of doing as such. There's more than one way to score a goal and I don't know if he realizes that.
Yep. this is the frustrating thing. But in fairness Yak never had a good role model like Smyth in prime to watch around the net. The Oilers don't really have a bonafide crease crasher. I agree fully he would benefit from that. How ironic that on the first shift after Yak gets pulled from the topline that Hall scores a goal by crashing the crease and tucking in a loose puck. I hope yak watches that closely.

It's early to say Yakupov is a bust but it's not too early to say he's trending that way. A prolific junior scorer who simply can't score at the NHL level. And unfortunately can't do much else. For every good thing he does he does two things bad. He drew a penalty yesterday, that is good. Then he proceeded to hand a goal to the Ducks after getting a promotion. That's bad.
Beyond the internet I would say "trending" is a fairly meaningless term. That trend could change instantly as it has so far at least 3 times in Yaks tenure here. He's very much a confidence player. Feeling it vs not feeling it. I wish the consistency was there, but as Belair noted the team never really gave this kid the opportunity to get confident in his game and keep him in a position where he could stay confident. Twice this player has been yanked from topsix while having performed very well

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yakupov defenders can't actually use his play to prop him up so they attempt to degrade others instead.

This is an interesting point.

It's never what Yakupov is doing, it's what everyone is doing to Yakupov.

Or, how the faults of OTHERS are the real issue here.

It's never about Yakupov.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

As per critical evaluation I've had those posts as well and in GDT's and on this thread citing what he should be doing better, for instance his shot.

My views on this player however take into an account how much this team chronically mismanages players.

While he may not had a fair shake, he's supposed to prove and convince the coach he deserves more.

Game in game out, he hasn't done enough in the coaches eyes. If he was more reliable and generated anything playing those limited minutes, given his alleged talent, he would be hiring up in he lineup

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
haha

When "never" gets stated, and especially twice referring to one observation, its almost never accurate...;):popcorn:

Dynamically as soon as "never" starts entering the vernacular its verging on generalized distortion.

just saying.;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yep. this is the frustrating thing. I fully agree. But in fairness Yak never had a good role model like Smyth in prime to watch around the net. The Oilers don't really have a bonafide crease crasher. I agree fully he would benefit from that. How ironic that on the first shift after Yak gets pulled from the topline that Hall scores a goal by crashing the crease and tucking in a loose puck. I hope yak watches that closely.

While a good role model wouldn't hurt, you don't need to look too far around the league to see how goals are scored. Most are scored right in front of the net or on jamming/scramble plays. It's been that way for years and will likely be that way for years to come. Even the really high end scorers like Ovechkin can get dirty and score an ugly goal. Crosby isn't afraid to get to the dirty areas either.

Beyond the internet I would say "trending" is a fairly meaningless term. That trend could change instantly as it has so far at least 3 times in Yaks tenure here. He's very much a confidence player. Feeling it vs not feeling it. I wish the consistency was there, but as Belair noted the team never really gave this kid the opportunity to get confident in his game and keep him in a position where he could stay confident. Twice this player has been yanked from topsix while having performed very well

Then replace the term "trending" with "heading". He might not even hit ten goals this year. The main reason he doesn't get top six time can be summed up in the play you mentioned. Yak gets promoted and immediately proceeds to bungle it. Yak responded to some positive reinforcement with the very reason why he's not in that position very often. Meanwhile Hall gets promoted and scores probably the ugliest goal this year by an Oiler (save the garbage time off the head goal). This is another case where Yak needs help but most importantly needs to help himself. There are many ways to contribute to a hockey game. Hitting and drawing penalties are good starts, but when you do what he did last night, it's hard to argue the reason he's stuck in the bottom 6 where it's safer for him to play and not be exposed.

Yak needs confidence but this kind of thing happens with every single hockey player on the planet. From Sidney Crosby to John Scott, there isn't a player out there who doesn't suffer from the occasional slump. The problem with Yak is, when he's good he's good, but when he's bad... He's awful.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
This is an interesting point.

It's never what Yakupov is doing, it's what everyone is doing to Yakupov.

Or, how the faults of OTHERS are the real issue here.

It's never about Yakupov.

I think yakupov will succeed in another organization. He's more of a flawed and inconsistent player than I would have thought but his momentum has been stripped away post mactavish hire.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
While he may not had a fair shake, he's supposed to prove and convince the coach he deserves more.

Game in game out, he hasn't done enough in the coaches eyes. If he was more reliable and generated anything playing those limited minutes, given his alleged talent, he would be hiring up in he lineup

We've had this convo before. I would cater more to the "deserve" angle on a credible team that awards toi on that basis and that supports players benefit first and foremost.

Yak would be a very rare example of a #1 pick who has not landed in a supported situation and with a team that would give a player like that the utmost help.

Yak on basis of arriving LATER than Nall, Nuge, Eberle, has found a situation in which the team was already having to service those players who also developed familiarity with each other.

Just from a dynamic order position Yak is different. Before he even set foot on the ice here.

That said Draisaitl faced a similar trap here and crashed the doors down because he's such a great hockey mind, physical skill etc and also was afforded time to grow his game at a lower level after getting a taste of what was required.

in retrospect Yak should have been sent down at some point in career.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Interesting.

Main difference I guess is that his coach isn't taking a crap on his head all the time, so he can go about his business not feeling like the coach is out to get him. But, the situation of the team just doesn't justify him in the top 6 still. Purcell and Pouliot for all their faults are able to make smart defensive plays. The other 4 spots in the top 4 are for younger guys that can be spotty in their own end, you can't have 3 guys like that on one line, or you get something like last night where Ebs and Yak both did their usual thing and made weak plays around our blue line, Yak making the more visible ones of course right before the goal.

Need a 3rd line C that can do more than just hack at pucks if Yak is going to do anything as a 3rd liner. And the longer he is on a line with a C that can't do any playmaking on the offensive side of centre the lower Yak's confidence is going to fall. And just like we saw under Eakins, this brutal Woodcroft PP is not a place for guys to build any confidence (unless they are on McDavid's unit). Following whatever Woodcroft's flawed PP gameplan is is only good for draining your soul from your body.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
How we got here is pretty much irrelevant but what we are going to do with Yak is the question. I think he can eventually click and figure things out but he has to be creating offence and he needs veteran support in a top 6 role. That's not happening here. We will need to deal him sometime in the next year or so. Hopefully he has some value with the cap dropping this summer.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We should of kept Eakins here because he had potential and was a young inexperienced coach that was getting screwed over by his GM?

Its a result business. Excuses in this league are only that.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Main difference I guess is that his coach isn't taking a crap on his head all the time, so he can go about his business not feeling like the coach is out to get him. But, the situation of the team just doesn't justify him in the top 6 still. Purcell and Pouliot for all their faults are able to make smart defensive plays. The other 4 spots in the top 4 are for younger guys that can be spotty in their own end, you can't have 3 guys like that on one line, or you get something like last night where Ebs and Yak both did their usual thing and made weak plays around our blue line, Yak making the more visible ones of course right before the goal.

Need a 3rd line C that can do more than just hack at pucks if Yak is going to do anything as a 3rd liner. And the longer he is on a line with a C that can't do any playmaking on the offensive side of centre the lower Yak's confidence is going to fall. And just like we saw under Eakins, this brutal Woodcroft PP is not a place for guys to build any confidence (unless they are on McDavid's unit). Following whatever Woodcroft's flawed PP gameplan is is only good for draining your soul from your body.

Our PP isnt even all that bad. I dont know what people expect right now from it. We are right in the middle of the league.

Actually if Yak could contribute a few points on the PP like everyone else on the team we would have a top10 if not top5 PP.

I posted earlier he has the least PP on the whole team. Maybe Woodcroft should just stop playing him there then our PP could be Top 10.

Dam now its Woodcrofts fault Yak is such a terrible hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad