Player Discussion Nail Yakupov

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
What gets me is ....................???

What gets me is that Yakupov was the number one pick in the entire draft........And he was the consensus choice...........how did the scouts get this so WRONG?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hemsky never hurt the team? he was a turnover machine. Only the constant 30 goal production of guys like Smyth kept Hemsky from being a +/- anchor. Hemskys GA EV was consistently high. It was rarely good.

Yet once Smyth was gone his worse +/- was -13

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What gets me is that Yakupov was the number one pick in the entire draft........And he was the consensus choice...........how did the scouts get this so WRONG?

Well the talk was Galchenyuk might've been 1 if not hurt, so there is that. However it's not like #2 is any better.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

1) Teams are afraid of taking D-Men at the top of the draft because they are harder to project and often take longer to make a big impact, unless you are hitting an obvious homerun like Ekblad.

2) The only other Forward anywhere near the top of the draft list missed almost the entire season injured.

3) Scouts presumed Yakupov's game would improve with time post draft because that is almost universally what happens. He has not.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If you see Debrusk as an astute hockey source your welcome to that. I don't share the view.

But you don't really share ANY view critical of Yak [or anyone else that you're tooting] anyway so...

Yak reminds me of O'Sullivan. Has talent, just can't bring it together here-be it personal issues [POS] or lack of IQ [Yak], it's not working. I ***** about Eberle and his soft, uninterested play but I will acknowledge he has a knack for putting up points. Yak always looks like he's trying but it amounts to nothing really.

Like most put, he's a first overall pick so it's fair to expect something out of him...unless you want to admit his draft position wasnt justified.

Hindsight is 20/20...team probably wouldve been better off with someone else. I suppose saving grace is that the entire top 3 in 2012 was disappointing:laugh: Perhaps Burke was right in that Rielly may have been the best :laugh:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yakupov has got to be the most inexplicably popular player in the history of this franchise.

Come on Replacement, Hemsky was overrated by this fanbase for his entire tenure in Edmonton and at times ridiculously so, but he is on another planet compared to Yakupov.

I thought that diminishing what Hall, RNH, and Eberle do to try and make Yak look good was silly, and now we're going back in time to diminish what ex-Oilers did to try and pump him up?

What's next? "Kurri wasn't really that great. Always had Gretzky hooking him up with gift passes, anyone could have put those in. Was gifted that opportunity. I bet Yakupov would have been just as good."

I wonder how many more games in a row Yakupov has to do jack all in before his fanboys will just call a spade a spade.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yak only gets 10 mins because the coach flat out doesn't trust him. Maybe there was some truth to the speculation as to why Hall didn't want to make passes to him a few years ago...Yak probably would've bungled it up anyway

McDeathbyCheerios*

1) Teams are afraid of taking D-Men at the top of the draft because they are harder to project and often take longer to make a big impact, unless you are hitting an obvious homerun like Ekblad.

2) The only other Forward anywhere near the top of the draft list missed almost the entire season injured.

3) Scouts presumed Yakupov's game would improve with time post draft because that is almost universally what happens. He has not.
Yak was one of those raw skill players who dominated at junior because he could get by on skill alone.
He did great in the lockout shortened year as some rookies can excel with their raw skill until other teams know what they are looking at.
Yak has not improved much since his draft. If anything he has become worse in most aspects of the game.

There is no denying Yak had a lot of potential however, not every player lives up to it. Yak is one of those.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I thought that diminishing what Hall, RNH, and Eberle do to try and make Yak look good was silly, and now we're going back in time to diminish what ex-Oilers did to try and pump him up?

What's next? "Kurri wasn't really that great. Always had Gretzky hooking him up with gift passes, anyone could have put those in. Was gifted that opportunity. I bet Yakupov would have been just as good."

I wonder how many more games in a row Yakupov has to do jack all in before his fanboys will just call a spade a spade.
Kurri sucked, MacTavish was better just didn't have Gretzky.

Am i doing it right?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Yakupov's shot is not even remotely close to elite. It's hard. Zero accuracy makes it basically worthless.

He has an elite shot. When shooters struggle, their shot accuracy also drops. Happens all the time even to veteran scorers.

McDeathbyCheerios*

He has an elite shot. When shooters struggle, their shot accuracy also drops. Happens all the time even to veteran scorers.
His shooting percentage has dropped every year in the league. Was 21% his rookie season which is very unsustainable. Then dropped to 9 and has gotten down to 5.3%

If anything his Elite shot was in an outlier year that wasn't sustainable.

Eberle for examples lowest shooting % ever was 11.4 in his rookie season

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we compare him to a guy he was compared to in Stamkos. Stamkos has never dropped before 10% in his career. Yak has been above 10% once.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He may have an elite shot, but it never finds the back of the net. Most times, he either whiffs, or shoots it wide, or other times, or the odd time, into the goalies crest. For a guy who's main calling card was that one-timer, I doubt I've seen a worse one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
But you don't really share ANY view critical of Yak [or anyone else that you're tooting] anyway so...

Yak reminds me of O'Sullivan. Has talent, just can't bring it together here-be it personal issues [POS] or lack of IQ [Yak], it's not working. I ***** about Eberle and his soft, uninterested play but I will acknowledge he has a knack for putting up points. Yak always looks like he's trying but it amounts to nothing really.

Like most put, he's a first overall pick so it's fair to expect something out of him...unless you want to admit his draft position wasnt justified.

Hindsight is 20/20...team probably wouldve been better off with someone else. I suppose saving grace is that the entire top 3 in 2012 was disappointing:laugh: Perhaps Burke was right in that Rielly may have been the best :laugh:

I don't think it's even a laughing matter anymore. As much as I can't stand Burke, he called this one absolutely correct. And it ain't close, IMO.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yakupov doesn't have an elite shot, he has an elite release.

To have an elite shot you also have to have good accuracy and not whiff on more one timers than Horcoff.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Warning: Flyby comments ahead!! :D

I don't like to do this, as I haven't posted here for a bit. Haven't really watched a game either for some time now. But Yaks shot is as close to elite as mine is. He's isn't in any "shooting slump". He's been missing the net for up to 3 years now.

I'm not zeroing in on you suxnet, this is just the start for me.

Yaks is consistently propped up on these boards by certain individuals, and nothing seems to have changed since I've taken a break from the site. "Yaks made a good play in the 1st. That's a good example of what he should do more consistently." That's an example, to me, of giving credit where it isn't due as a 4th year player. And the constant comparisons to other players......never on what Yak does himself, just what other players are given and who they play with. If people can't see that this guy is a total bust at this point, no one can help that.

I think it's called denial. I still see the same excuses and nothing changing with Yakupov. Can't get simpler than that. Apparently he still looks like a rookie out there.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Warning: Flyby comments ahead!! :D

I don't like to do this, as I haven't posted here for a bit. Haven't really watched a game either for some time now. But Yaks shot is as close to elite as mine is. He's isn't in any "shooting slump". He's been missing the net for up to 3 years now.

I'm not zeroing in on you suxnet, this is just the start for me.

Yaks is consistently propped up on these boards by certain individuals, and nothing seems to have changed since I've taken a break from the site. "Yaks made a good play in the 1st. That's a good example of what he should do more consistently." That's an example, to me, of giving credit where it isn't due as a 4th year player. If people can't see that this guy is a total bust at this point, no one can help that.

I think it's called denial. I still see the same excuses and nothing changing with Yakupov. Can't get simpler than that.
Yakupov has a career shooting percentage of just under 10% mostly due to a 21% season. Guy does not have anything good about his shot other then it's hard.

Pakarainen has a hard shot too

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ridiculous. Re-inventing history here.

Hemsky was pretty much THE driver on the team well after Smyth was traded. It wasn't a coincidence that the team's play fell off a cliff the moment Handzus popped him into the boards from behind in 09-10.

Yak hasn't done anything resembling them impact that Hemsky made on this team at any point in his NHL career.

Ridiculous comparison indeed. :shakehead

Another 3 pages of defending Yakupov and not 1 post regarding his inability to work through adversity. Just more redirection. I mean Hemsky? Really?

Its interesting to me how the salient points regarding Yakupov NEVER get addressed but there is seemingly no end to the deflection and redirection.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Another 3 pages of defending Yakupov and not 1 post regarding his inability to work through adversity. Just more redirection. I mean Hemsky? Really?

Its interesting to me how the salient points regarding Yakupov NEVER get addressed but there is seemingly no end to the deflection and redirection.

Yak fandom = Omark fandom = Schremp fandom:laugh:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yak fandom = Omark fandom = Schremp fandom:laugh:

I almost forgot about those guys. It is truly amazing how many highly skilled forwards Edmonton has had that have literally turned out to be pretty bad at the NHL level. It's actually crazy when you think of them all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I almost forgot about those guys. It is truly amazing how many highly skilled forwards Edmonton has had that have literally turned out to be pretty bad at the NHL level. It's actually crazy when you think of them all.

Good individual skills unfortunately does not translate into good hockey players.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009

You make a good point but there is one final thing I want you to consider. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with Yakupov? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with Yakupov! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm an HF poster defending Yakupov, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in this thread deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit!

The defense rests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad