Confirmed with Link: Murray steps down, Dorion is our new GM

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Before Murray we had 1 repeat 1 prospect now we have 10-12.

And now we have a better prospect pool (a little overrated by some here) but our team is still crap.

The team was in bad shape when Murray took over. But people forget that Murray chose to continue with that same team for quite a while. Which I think was his biggest mistake.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
2. Our re-build is still new, some of our prospects are just cracking the lineup while others aren't ready yet to fill depth roles.

It's been 5 years since the rebuild/retool/whatever-you-want-to-call-it started. That's actually a decent amount of time. It also never involved truly bottoming out to get higher picks, which goes a long way to helping with a rebuild. Yes, some guys are just cracking the roster, but what does that really get the team? Being a playoff bubble team at best is what.

Combined with the current lack of high end talent in our prospect system (despite this so-called rebuild) beyond White, Chabot, and Perron, and the age of certain guys like Ryan, Methot, and Phaneuf that has them close to where players really begin to fall off, and it's not a particularly good situation to be in. It's not like Karlsson or Turris are that young either. They're 26, right about where players on average hit their peak production.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Murray drops the title but will still advise. Can't see much changing........unless of course the press conference has another announcement!

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Meh...Euegene has pretty much guaranteed that no matter what direction we go in we'll be stuck in mediocrity. Can't go full on tank and not make the playoffs, can't go all-in and spend.

I think Murray has done a good enough job being handcuffed as he is. A change of GM isn't going to have an impact on ability to spend or becoming an attractive destination for FAs. Creativity is the name of the game under Eugene's ownership.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Meh...Euegene has pretty much guaranteed that no matter what direction we go in we'll be stuck in mediocrity. Can't go full on tank and not make the playoffs, can't go all-in and spend.

I think Murray has done a good enough job being handcuffed as he is. A change of GM isn't going to have an impact on ability to spend or becoming an attractive destination for FAs. Creativity is the name of the game under Eugene's ownership.

Which isn't helped when you have a management group that largely scoffs at analytics and who admit they don't draft best player available, but instead guys who have a "dimension" that they think will help the team down the road. Basically drafting for perceived need.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Which isn't helped when you have a management group at large that scoffs at analytics the majority of the time and who admit they don't draft best player available, but instead guys who have a "dimension" that they think will help the team down the road. Basically drafting for perceived need.

Creativity apparently the name of the game for the management group. They apply this by destroying creativity of he on ice product

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Thanks to Mr. Murray for all that he has done here. He's also probably the most well liked and respected person in the league. Change is always exciting though so I'm curious as to what is planned next.

Since I compare our market and budget with the likes of the Nashvilles and Winnipegs I didn't think he did a horrible job here but it was slightly disappointing none the less because we were so spoiled throughout the late 90s and 2000s.

He did draft the best player in franchise history for us so that's kind of a huge deal. So props to you Murray and I hope he's still feeling healthy!

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Sure... And a decade later we are not further along then when he got here... One playoff win during his tenure... Worst defense in hockey since 2010

I'm happy it's over and I can look at the future in a more positive light.

Hopefully Dorion has a plan and sticks to it

I can guarantee you will never be happy, I'm sure you can find something else to whine about.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
**** Dorion...get someone NEW you dumbasses

Lol, you honestly think Eugene would be willing to spend the money to attract someone good from outside the organization, like a Brisebois? That Euge won't spend close to the cap, combined with him refusing to let the team bottom out to rebuild (he claims they can't), it doesn't make Ottawa all that attractive a destination for either players or management from outside to come in.

Penner getrdonebryan

Jun 8, 2007
Rou.
If news are right, it's the same people with different roles. They ensured us that the money, power and the way of doing things will remain within this mediocre brotherhood. I would be curious to know how many teams interviewed Dorion for a GM position? like ever?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lol, you honestly think Eugene would be willing to spend the money to attract someone good from outside the organization, like a Brisebois? That Euge won't spend close to the cap, combined with him refusing to let the team bottom out to rebuild (he claims they can't), it doesn't make Ottawa all that attractive a destination for either players or management from outside to come in.

Exactly.

Murray wasn't the problem. It is Melynk, and his budget.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
If news are right, it's the same people with different roles. They ensured us that the money, power and the way of doing things will remain within this mediocre brotherhood. I would be curious to know how many teams interviewed Dorion for a GM position? like ever?

How many ex Sens management were taken by other organisations over the years?

5, 6? More? I think Sens have a good reputation of developing their people.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Exactly.

That's a big part of it. But a GM who refused to accept the game has changed the last 10-15 years, which has included how talent is evaluated, sure didn't help.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Exactly.

YES, YES HE IS!

Melynk can take blame too...but Murrat takes a massive chunk of it as well. Cant wait for this dumbass management group to leave, we'll just have to wait for another 10 years or mediocrity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad