Confirmed with Link: Murray steps down, Dorion is our new GM

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Why do results matter when evaluating BMur (1 playoff series win 9 years) but not for TMur (the team has sucked every year he's been there)

Well Tim Murray had a plan and his plan was tanking for a few. If he had come to Buffalo and on day one said he would 'rebuild on the fly' and 'we're going to compete the make the playoffs every year' and served the turd burgers that they went through, he would be ripped to shreds for good measure.

As for Dorion, I would have preferred someone from outside the org but I'm so freaking RELIEVED that Murray is leaving the position that I am ok with it. I wonder if that's how Americans felt when George W. finally left the White house?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well Tim Murray had a plan and his plan was tanking for a few. If he had come to Buffalo and on day one said he would 'rebuild on the fly' and 'we're going to compete the make the playoffs every year' and served the turd burgers that they went through, he would be ripped to shreds for good measure.

As for Dorion, I would have preferred someone from outside the org but I'm so freaking RELIEVED that Murray is leaving the position that I am ok with it. I wonder if that's how American felt when George W. finally left the White house?

So Tmurr is a doing great things because he has been successful in his goal of being really bad.

I think the problem is, so far Tmurr is no different than the oilers. At best, his report card should read "incomplete". It's pretty easy to be bad. It's easy to tear everything down. I really don't understand giving credit for that, all it takes is an owner that's willing to let you do it (the leafs went years where they knew it was in their best interest, but ownership wanted nothing to do with the lean times that would accompany it). So far, Tmurr has made some moves, but I can't say any are sure fire wins yet. ROR looks good, and will probably turn out that way, but he did give up a lot for him. Lehner and Kane are still huge question marks.

Ottawa has had it's share of seasons where it looked to be on the rise (taking the NYR to 7 games, beating Mtl in the shortened season despite all the injuries), but it's how you build on that success that matters. Buffalo has yet to show it can build on the limited success it had this season.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I think the problem is, so far Tmurr is no different than the oilers.

And you are wrong. The problem in Edmonton is they never added quality players outside of their tanking. They had no plan. It was tank and stash. When did Edmonton add quality players around the age of Kane or ROR in their rebuild? They never did. That's why they have been wandering the desert for so long.

Are Kane and Lehner guaranteed to work? Of course not, but you can already see that Tim is the kind of GM who is willing to make moves to improve this team, unlike the people in Edmonton. That's why I think the Buffalo rebuild will work out in the end.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
So they went from awful to really bad.

Good for them.

The point is that the Sabres are still one of the worst teams in the NHL so saying that Tim Murray is a genius is too early.

Why do results matter when evaluating BMur (1 playoff series win 9 years) but not for TMur (the team has sucked every year he's been there)

Result do matter... He improved his team by 27Pts and changed goal differential by 100

That's incredible from where I'm sitting... If the Sens progressed in such a way I'd be ecstatic

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Result do matter... He improved his team by 27Pts and changed goal differential by 100

That's incredible from where I'm sitting... If the Sens progressed in such a way I'd be ecstatic

You're conveniently ignoring the fact that the 27 spread comes from a philosophy change. They went from "Okay, let's lose every game" to "let's try winning now." 27 points and +100 goals is significantly less impressive when you consider where the bar was set initially – pretty low.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You're conveniently ignoring the fact that the 27 spread comes from a philosophy change. They went from "Okay, let's lose every game" to "let's try winning now." 27 points and +100 goals is significantly less impressive when you consider where the bar was set initially – pretty low.

Anyway you slice it, it's still incredible progression.

Buffalo needs to continue trending upwards but TM has delivered so far. See what he does this summer to improve the roster... We know he's not afraid to make bold moves

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Buffalo needs to continue trending upwards but TM has delivered so far. See what he does this summer to improve the roster... We know he's not afraid to make bold moves

How many points did they not get last year because they were tanking? Wow 27 pts, wooptido

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

No, it's really not.

When one season you are trying your hardest to lose the most games in the league, and in the next you are actually trying to win games, 27 points is a blip on the radar.

It's like a 300 pound guy losing 20lbs vs a 180 pound guy losing those same 20lbs. Those first 20lbs just melt off the big dude with almost no effort, while the small guy has to work his arse off to get down to a clean 160lbs.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is like listening to Eugene speak

FFS quit the bs. **** it I'm going to go listen to timmy's last interview again.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sorry but this is very painful to watch. Maybe it's less so on the radio.
Randy lee I can listen to with a smile. It's not just king TM I like hearing.

TM has the personality of a wet rag from any interview I've heard from him. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, but I don't get what the obsession is.

tehdee

Feb 4, 2008
mentioned this earlier in the thread but it got drowned out.

what of alfie now?!

he needs grooming to be eventual GM--- similar to Stevie Y under Holland.
Dorion, though supposedly a great hockey mind is not going to impart much upon Alfie from a GM perspective.

has Alfie been named assistant GM? same title?
any reporters asked this?!

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
TM has the personality of a wet rag from any interview I've heard from him. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, but I don't get what the obsession is.

He best part of Tim Murray is at the draft when unlike most GM's he doesn't spend a year thanking and congratulating everyone and their mother, but instead just announces who they are ****'ing picking.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Nothing he says would have any weight if he didn't back it up with trades, drafting, hiring.
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22622887.php?contentType=4&contentId=18627636

But here's an example of an honest no bs interview. Not the best but most recent.
From calling evander multiple times to changing ideas at the GM meetings. Main thing is he speaks brilliantly about hockey. Imo
And that is very unlike what we just heard from Dorion.
Can also watch TMs first buff presser next to Dorion's. Night and day.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Nothing he says would have any weight if he didn't back it up with trades, drafting, hiring.
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22622887.php?contentType=4&contentId=18627636

But here's an example of an honest no bs interview. Not the best but most recent.
From calling evander multiple times to changing ideas at the GM meetings. Main thing is he speaks brilliantly about hockey. Imo
And that is very unlike what we just heard from Dorion.
Can also watch TMs first buff presser next to Dorion's. Night and day.

Hey, remember when Timmy pouted on national television that he didn't win the lottery and basically spelled it out that Eichel was a crappy consolation prize?

It's borderline creepy how obsessed you are with a guy whose only claim to fame is tanking his team twice, losing the lottery, then making a couple of trades from the mountain of prospects he had for players of questionable character.

I'm sure every team would love their #1 centre to get hammered and drive into a Tim Horton's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad