OT: Much Ado About Kovy - Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm still not convinced this entire story isnt simply Kovalchuk's agent trying to leverage more money out of a new KHL contract.

If that is true that would effectively end any chance of him ever returning to the NHL. At 34 years old that window isn't that large.

But conversely, he always (or least his mother did) implied or straight out said he would be back.
It would seem to me if he's coming back it would be the next two years or nothing?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
You're joking right?

- top 25 in the league in points (defensemen)
- 10+ goals
- top pairing LHD on a playoff team
- 25 years old

What do you think a fair return for 34-year-old Kovalchuk would be?

If its a one for one swap I'm totally fine with that but I'm not adding to it.

Kovy for Fowler is a pretty easy one imo.

But it would prob be Kovy+. It would depend on the +.

The plus better be something small.

Interesting. The phrasing seems to tell me Kovalchuk isn't just playing a money grab game in Russia. Lets see how this unfolds.

lol Slava. His next tweet claimed that if he came back he'd want to be traded but stay in NYC or go to Florida and then he then seriously claimed we'd trade him to the Rangers or Islanders.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
His next tweet claimed that if he came back he'd want to be traded but stay in NYC or go to Florida and then he then seriously claimed we'd trade him to the Rangers or Islanders.

OR, he could just stay with us.

slava is stirring the pot though - look at his comments down below.

i have to wonder though, is there space/need for him in florida or tb, and if so what would they/could they move?

edit: noticed this too..

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If its a one for one swap I'm totally fine with that but I'm not adding to it.

The plus better be something small.

lol Slava. His next tweet claimed that if he came back he'd want to be traded but stay in NYC or go to Florida and then he then seriously claimed we'd trade him to the Rangers or Islanders.

I don't know what others would be considering as the plus, but I was thinking 3rd round pick, 2nd at best.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Islanders I can see, but who does this guy think our GM is? There is no way we trade him to the Rangers

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I wonder what we could pry out of Tampa or Florida if that rumour is true.

Tampa doesn't have much to offer in terms of defensive help at the NHL level, but they have the 14th overall pick, plenty of interesting prospects (Howden, Hajek, Katchouk, Raddysh, Cirelli, Stephens, Yan & Joseph) and of course Drouin appears to be up for grabs this off-season as well.

Florida on the other hand has the 10th overall pick, a few interesting prospects (Borgstrom, Mascherin & Hawryluk come to mind) as well as decent number of young NHL defenders such as Petrovic, Pysyk & Matheson.

I wonder if we could get the 10th & Hawryluk from Florida for Kovalchuk + a 2nd/3rd? It would be cool to re-unite the Wheat Kings (Quenneville, Hawryluk & Patrick) especially since they're all good players in their own right.

Either that or try to get Drouin from Tampa, most likely with a cap dump (Coburn/Garrison) coming our way and us adding a sweetener.

Food for thought anyway.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Tampa doesn't have much to offer in terms of defensive help at the NHL level, but they have the 14th overall pick, plenty of interesting prospects (Howden, Hajek, Katchouk, Raddysh, Cirelli, Stephens, Yan & Joseph) and of course Drouin appears to be up for grabs this off-season as well.

Florida on the other hand has the 10th overall pick, a few interesting prospects (Borgstrom, Mascherin & Hawryluk come to mind) as well as decent number of young NHL defenders such as Petrovic, Pysyk & Matheson.

I wonder if we could get the 10th & Hawryluk from Florida for Kovalchuk + a 2nd/3rd? It would be cool to re-unite the Wheat Kings (Quenneville, Hawryluk & Patrick) especially since they're all good players in their own right.

Either that or try to get Drouin from Tampa, most likely with a cap dump (Coburn/Garrison) coming our way and us adding a sweetener.

Food for thought anyway.

I doubt Kovy has that kind of value.

I'd be looking for a late 1st/early 2nd at best, really. Maybe we can pry a defender of the Gudbrandson mold (solid top 4 but nothing special) but we're not getting any team's top prospects or anything.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York

Food for thought anyway.

there is no way kovalchuk will bring that much back lol. thats a massive overpayment by florida.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Convince Kovy to play here until the deadline. Either he's helping us and we're in a playoff spot and he stays, or it's not working and we trade him.

If he absolutely doesn't want to play here and teams are reluctant to trade a 1st, I would try to package Kovy with a 3rd, or maybe both 3rd's. Something along those lines. Might be able to get a 1st then.

Turn around and trade the 1st for a d-man.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

OR, he could just stay with us.

slava is stirring the pot though - look at his comments down below.

i have to wonder though, is there space/need for him in florida or tb, and if so what would they/could they move?

edit: noticed this too..

Idk how he can say there's no desire from both parties when Shero hasn't even reached out yet. No way shero traded him anywhere in our division so that nixes the whole NYC area thing. Guy is just not going to waltz back into the NHL and choose his destination

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Any trade that is made needs to have conditional picks attached for if that teams turns around and trades him to the Rangers, Islanders, or Flyers.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we grabbed an extra 1st this year for Kovy that'd be pretty awesome. As much as I'd like him to play for us, that would satisfy me I guess. Even if we got a 2nd+3rd we could move those to get back in the 1st most likely. Coming out of this draft with Patrick and a 1st round defensive talent would be great.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Anything we get in return is found money, I sure as heck wasn't expecting Kovy to ever be a factor for the Devils again.

I think we can pull a 1st out of this, depending on Kovy's contract demands. 2nd rounder for sure but who cares in that case!

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I want to see him in Edmonton with McDavid and Drai, that would be insane. Something like Slepyshev and a 2nd back would be solid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And you're really undervaluing a 34 year old Kovalchuk. The Devils will get a lot more than a 2nd round pick if they do in fact decide to trade him.

Good luck with that, I side more with the return will dissapoint people. Especially with a limited market for a guy that's gonna want $5 million or so and be traded to a contender IF this isn't just a money grab from the KHL.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If there's 'significant interest' around the league as has been reported, his trade value is going to be higher than the pessimists think. The Devils have the most leverage here. If they don't like the return, they can tell the other team to kick rocks and let Kovy play in Russia next year, potentially diminishing his NHL earning potential by aging another year in his mid-30s as well as risk injury. The Devils lose nothing by walking away.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Good luck with that, I side more with the return will dissapoint people. Especially with a limited market for a guy that's gonna want $5 million or so and be traded to a contender IF this isn't just a money grab from the KHL.

That's the thing. He's not going to go to a contender and play for peanuts. How many contenders can fit him in at whatever his asking price is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad