OT: Much Ado About Kovy - Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Anaheim would be a great spot for Kovy and us. They have a glut on defense, need scoring help, and adding Kovy puts them right in the thick of it for the Cup.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think Anaheim would be a great spot for Kovy and us. They have a glut on defense, need scoring help, and adding Kovy puts them right in the thick of it for the Cup.

had the same thought last night. he'd be the perfect there. any destination to the west that needs a sniper to put them over the edge that has defense we need is a perfect trade partner. vatanen...?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
had the same thought last night. he'd be the perfect there. any destination to the west that needs a sniper to put them over the edge that has defense we need is a perfect trade partner. vatanen...?

Not sure exactly who to target, but the Fowler contract situation could come into play. If Anaheim can't sign him to an extension, he could be available. If they do, they'll have to move someone else, potentially on the left side where they're loaded. I don't think Kovy alone would do it and it would obviously get complicated, but I'd shoot for a signed Fowler for a signed Kovy+

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Not sure exactly who to target, but the Fowler contract situation could come into play. If Anaheim can't sign him to an extension, he could be available. If they do, they'll have to move someone else, potentially on the left side where they're loaded. I don't think Kovy alone would do it and it would obviously get complicated, but I'd shoot for a signed Fowler for a signed Kovy+

Why are we trading Kovalchuk+ for Cam Fowler...

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Why are we trading Kovalchuk+ for Cam Fowler...

Devils need defense. Fowler is young and established himself well this year as a top pairing defenseman who will also score plenty.

If Anaheim would be willing to do 1-for-1, that's fine by me. If Shero could reverse that to Kovy for Fowler+ then even better. I just don't know how Anaheim would value Kovy at his age.

Why wouldn't we do that if Kovalchuk wants to play elsewhere?

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Any idea on how valuable a sign and trade would be? Getting someone like Vatanen would be awesome. Any chance Nashville could use Kovy? Would love Ekholm on the left side of the top pairing

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Larry Brooks is in the same tier as Eklund. If Brooks writes something then it means the opposite is true.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Cam Fowler is a 35 point defenseman. How exactly is that really good?

You're joking right?

- top 25 in the league in points (defensemen)
- 10+ goals
- top pairing LHD on a playoff team
- 25 years old

What do you think a fair return for 34-year-old Kovalchuk would be?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kovy for Fowler is a pretty easy one imo.

But it would prob be Kovy+. It would depend on the +.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'd add to Kovy every day of the week easily if it got Folwer. I don't think it would ever happen though. Not enough value for Anaheim.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Slava Malamud‏ @SlavaMalamud

The KHL desperately wants to keep Kovalchuk, to the point if offering him an enormous deal, but Ilya appears to be headed back to N.America.

Interesting. The phrasing seems to tell me Kovalchuk isn't just playing a money grab game in Russia. Lets see how this unfolds.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'm fairly certain he'll come back and we'll trade him. Doesn't fit the future and while I'm sure he's still a 50 point guy, it just doesn't make sense long term while we could get another asset in the meantime.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Aivis Kalniņš‏ @A_Kalnins

Official: Ilya Kovalchuk will miss the World Championships. Will have a knee surgery.

Also this.

Aivis Kalniņš‏ @A_Kalnins

No truth to the report that playing for Devils is "Absolutely out of question." for Ilya Kovalchuk

And I'm assuming this is re: Brooks' report that Kovalchuk wants to return to the league, but not with NJD.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I think he can technically negotiate with whoever he wants since he isn't under contract, so he can agree a deal with a team and then it's their prerogative to work out a trade with us.

He can't technically agree to a deal with that team but in practice, I imagine that's how it will work.

He will agree on terms with a team. That team will approach us and tell us what the terms are + work out a trade for him. If we agree on the trade, we will sign him to a contract with said terms and then trade him immediately.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I want assets. Anyone willing to give me a first or a higher second (>45) Id take it.

I mean forget that it's Kovalchuk, forget the history and the circumstances...A 34 year old player (clearly) on the decline doesn't at all fit this organization, regardless of who it is. But I sure would like to recoup some of the assets we lost. That would make things right and end that chapter for good.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The problem with the sign+trade structure is we're really only negotiating with the team that agrees on a deal with him.

Definitely going to depress the return. Don't think there's any way we get a first.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The problem with the sign+trade structure is we're really only negotiating with the team that agrees on a deal with him.

Definitely going to depress the return. Don't think there's any way we get a first.

Doesn't have to be that black and white. It could be complicated and take a while. Kovalchuk has flexibility, but not the same as a free agent.

- Kovy's agent talks to a number of teams
- Submits list of teams to NJD
- NJD negotiates for best deal

It's almost the same as if he were already under contract with NJD and the team was looking to move him. If Kovy really wants to play in (for instance) Toronto and agrees on contract terms with them, the Devils are under no pressure to accept whatever they offer. They can just walk away.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm still not convinced this entire story isnt simply Kovalchuk's agent trying to leverage more money out of a new KHL contract.

debbie-downer.jpg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Trading kovy before he plays a game your trading him at his lowest possible value. If he plays for us and puts up serious points he will command a haul at the deadline. Your not getting that type of deal when no one knows what he is capable of.

If I'm shero tell him I'll trade you at the deadline if we are out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad