MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I sympathize with those very large people. I don't like the idea of discriminating against them. But it is really unfair to the poor guy in the next seat.

It's fine to be sympathetic, but let's be real, we're not talking about typical heavy set people here. We're talking gross obesity and when that negatively impacts the people beside them, who have paid good money for "their space", then the venue has to step in. Offer alternate seating in the handicapped areas, or refund their money but they need to be told that they are far too large for regular seating and can't be allowed to sit there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's fine to be sympathetic, but let's be real, we're not talking about typical heavy set people here. We're talking gross obesity and when that negatively impacts the people beside them, who have paid good money for "their space", then the venue has to step in. Offer alternate seating in the handicapped areas, or refund their money but they need to be told that they are far too large for regular seating and can't be allowed to sit there.

I agree - reluctantly. I have some very good friends who are too big for the skinny seats in BMTSP - or most other venues for that matter. I don't like passing judgement on them or putting prohibitive roadblocks in their way. Special seating might be a solution but there would be a lot of demand for that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The subject of obesity and shared seating is pretty touchy. On airplanes it can be a nightmare too. I have a buddy who doesn’t fit in the seating at Bell MTS centre and has to fly business class on planes to fit the seats.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
2 beers for $15. Tuesday specials for the month of February. I think I’m drunk.

Didn’t mean for it to be an advert.
I know I’m drunk.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
For the first game actually they had Stella on the Menu then they did away with it. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

As I recall, they used the menu from the Bud Lounge for the first game, then switched to a smaller menu with fewer offerings. I think a burger got dropped as part of that as well. Maybe they figure we aren't paying P1 prices, so we shouldn't get as many choices. And they don't offer any of the more interesting options from the Carvery, Aviator Grill, Freshii or Bella Pasta so the whole thing gets a big meh from me.

Reactions: Sabadecade

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
As I recall, they used the menu from the Bud Lounge for the first game, then switched to a smaller menu with fewer offerings. I think a burger got dropped as part of that as well. Maybe they figure we aren't paying P1 prices, so we shouldn't get as many choices. And they don't offer any of the more interesting options from the Carvery, Aviator Grill, Freshii or Bella Pasta so the whole thing gets a big meh from me.

I agree and I’ve voiced my concern and hope all other Loge owners do the same. From limits options to crappy service.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Well since it’s the off season I thought I would get this puppy fired back up! Anyone heard what this offseason upgrades will consist of?

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Well since it’s the off season I thought I would get this puppy fired back up! Anyone heard what this offseason upgrades will consist of?
Chipman says they don't have any time. Ironically they went and made 20 million this spring and don't have to spend any. What a business to be in.

Swiftt

Jul 3, 2016
Winnipeg
Chipman says they don't have any time. Ironically they went and made 20 million this spring and don't have to spend any. What a business to be in.

Not necessarily true.

I work at BMTSP and have very good connections with a higher up employee that works for True North, and I've been told that they are doing some renovations to the south side entrance of the suite level.

They are looking to make it more how the North side entrance is - the more open concept, with the sofas and the extra seating area. I've been told that they will be looking to remove one of those walls starting as early as this week.

It won't be anything as big as the concourse upgrades that have happened in recent years, but it'll be a noticeable change for anyone coming in through those doors and uses the suites often.

Reactions: Sabadecade

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Obviously we need a new arena somewhere else downtown with 1.25 - 1.5 times the space excluding the ice. Still 15,500 capacity.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I cant remember but I read an article that said that the next upgrade in the arena would be the player's locker room.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport

I've been in there before as a contractor, word I'm hearing is a system upgrade for the production lights and sound on the catwalks. Probably nothing any fans would notice. Word during last season's renos was they were going to upgrade the Jets dressing room (apparently the digs in Edmonton are something special) and the Exchange restaurant, but I've also heard they were putting that on hold. Seems too tight of a timeline. Truthfully, they've done almost everything from a cosmetic standpoint. The corridor on suite level could really use some work, other than that, not sure what they can do that hasn't already been touched three times since opening. They've done the concourse floors three times already, twice since 2011.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just wish they built the new arena where the Goldeyes stadium is. An arena at The Forks would look amazing and would be easier to have all those fans partying around. In the future I could see the next arena being where Portage Place is and having a much larger capacity. If not there, I don't know what other Downtown location would be a good one for a new arena.

By the way, I know BMTSP is relatively new, it's just small for what we need.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just wish they built the new arena where the Goldeyes stadium is. An arena at The Forks would look amazing and would be easier to have all those fans partying around. In the future I could see the next arena being where Portage Place is and having a much larger capacity. If not there, I don't know what other Downtown location would be a good one for a new arena.

Why do you believe, Winnipeg needs an arena with a much larger capacity? Everything would suggest that we probably have close to the ideal size now to keep demand up for tickets. Even now it is relatively easy to pick up game tickets for just about any regular season game. If you have several thousands more seats to fill there will be a downward push on demand and take away the incentive for a lot of people to dig deep for season tickets.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The Goldeyes were here playing for every year the Jets weren't ... so they got first dibs when they needed a new home. Shaw Park was built in 1999, 4 years before MTS Centre was even thought of. If you wanted an arena at the forks it should have been built in place of that museum that no one goes to was built.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do you believe, Winnipeg needs an arena with a much larger capacity? Everything would suggest that we probably have close to the ideal size now to keep demand up for tickets. Even now it is relatively easy to pick up game tickets for just about any regular season game. If you have several thousands more seats to fill there will be a downward push on demand and take away the incentive for a lot of people to dig deep for season tickets.

KB, I think you're right about the size in regards to seating capacity. Anything larger would result in a downward pressure on ticket prices due to less demand. That would not be a good scenario for TNSE. I think what would be ideal, should a new arena be required down the road in the future, is to build a more spacious facility. I'm not suggesting more seats but rather providing wider seats and more legroom to make it much more comfortable to attend events in the building. One of the main complaints I hear about BellMTS Place is that it feels too cramped.

:jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad