MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So true about the staff...many old fossils working there that are slow as molasses.
And some kiosks are volunteers which don't give a rats ass either

I know one of those volunteers. There's some sort of arrangement which benefits her rugby club. When you're doing something to support your own organization, I think you might do a better job than an arena employee getting paid a crappy wage.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
TNSE needs to get to the bottom of slow service. I know they do not take any training. And there likely isn't a training course to teach people how to focus on the job and offer prompt service. Maybe thats something I can come up with on slow days here at the arena.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
For the Beer Only kiosks...particularly the ones that only serve Bud/Bud light...why don't they simply start pouring glasses of beer 2 mins before the end of the period and get ready for the intermission? Or have one person just pouring without waiting to see what you want? After all they only sell bud or bud light...why are you holding up the line to ask before you pour? It's 2 freaking choices!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
For the Beer Only kiosks...particularly the ones that only serve Bud/Bud light...why don't they simply start pouring glasses of beer 2 mins before the end of the period and get ready for the intermission? Or have one person just pouring without waiting to see what you want? After all they only sell bud or bud light...why are you holding up the line to ask before you pour? It's 2 freaking choices!

Yeah, but what if they got the pre-pours mixed up? Can you imagine the horror of ordering a Bud and then taking a sip of a Bud Light? You would have to spit it out in disgust. Or you order a Light and end up with the high test stuff? You could be hammered before you even make it back to your seat. Nah, just too risky. :sarcasm:

spellchecker45

Oct 3, 2011
I am a little unhappy they removed all other beer choices on tap now everywhere is bud or bud light which kind of sucks.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it was at the beginning of last year that they switched from more traditional cash registers to tablets at the various concessions - those tablets take about 10 button presses to transact the simplest sale.

[mod]

You know, TNSE could save another $0.05 per customer if they just funneled everyone through the main entrance on Portage instead of having the south corner entrances open...who cares if it takes 3 times as long? Get there early. Bring a catheter.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think it was at the beginning of last year that they switched from more traditional cash registers to tablets at the various concessions - those tablets take about 10 button presses to transact the simplest sale.

Maybe all that government money TNSE is being handed is bringing that bloated and inefficient government bureaucracy along with it.

You know, TNSE could save another $0.05 per customer if they just funneled everyone through the main entrance on Portage instead of having the south corner entrances open...who cares if it takes 3 times as long? Get there early. Bring a catheter.

You know what would speed things up? Fans paying with cash. Bring some damn bills with you, people! :rant:

Reactions: Evil Little

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You know what would speed things up? Fans paying with cash. Bring some damn bills with you, people! :rant:
How about credit/debit tap? It's even faster than cash. Nope! You have to insert your chip and punch in your PIN because, lord knows, you can't trust Jets fans to be using their own credit cards...just like you can't trust them to go out and come back at intermission without buying a cut-rate beer at Tavern.

BTW: I was in Las Vegas last week and went to a Golden Knights preseason game. That T-Mobile Arena is beautiful. You could fit the entire capacity of BellMTS Place into the main concourse and still have room to drive a tank down the middle. They also have a Shake Shack in there which is amazing. There's a no re-entry policy there as well, but there are a number of smoking balconies you can access from both the lower and upper concourses. I think any fans lucky enough to be going there to catch the Jets this season will be duly impressed.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
There's a no re-entry policy there as well, but there are a number of smoking balconies you can access from both the lower and upper concourses.

Not to get off on an anti-smoking rant or anything, but...

I don't want smoking areas off the concourses. There will be a high concentration of smoke in such areas that will linger and waft back into the concourse from people going in and out. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but even a whiff of tobacco smoke is unpleasant to me. There are no smoking balconies on airplanes, which generally keep people cooped up for longer than a hockey game. We don't need them around an arena.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not to get off on an anti-smoking rant or anything, but...

I don't want smoking areas off the concourses. There will be a high concentration of smoke in such areas that will linger and waft back into the concourse from people going in and out. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but even a whiff of tobacco smoke is unpleasant to me. There are no smoking balconies on airplanes, which generally keep people cooped up for longer than a hockey game. We don't need them around an arena.

I agree. The last thing we need is any kind of smoking taking place that will waft back into the facility. For someone that is allergic to cigarette smoke, I can tell you it was horrible at the old Winnipeg Arena when smoking was allowed within the concourse area of the building. A cloud would envelop the area and going to the concessions was awful. By the time I got back to my seat my eyes were watery and nose stuffed up. I don't understand how some people cannot go a few hours without the need to smoke. Let's keep the air clear for those that are sensitive to smoke so that everyone can enjoy the game.

:jets

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
TNSE is incredibly unlikely to institute a smoking policy on their grounds. Vegas is a ... special place when it comes to smoking. Even then, Vegas is starting to push back on their smoking policies. In any event, I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about regarding the MTS Centre.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I love the renos done. Been there a couple times in the last couple weeks.
Love the new look. I am pretty happy with it.
I don't really drink anymore but did try and get some popcorn. Took a little longer than it probably should have for a preboxed cold popcorn :popcorn:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think True North has done a good making BellMTS Place look like the home of the Winnipeg Jets rather than the generic look that it used to have. It could have been a result from a suggestion on the radio by a fan who commented on how you could tell you were in the home of the Montreal Canadiens when you visited Bell Centre whereas you didn't get that same feeling about the MTS Centre for the Jets. Jim Ludlow agreed at the time and said True North was working to do the same thing here. It looks like they have been true to their word in that regard.

One thing that stands out to me with regards to the renovations is how prominent the Jets logo is on the signage throughout the concourse area. Based on that, it is highly unlikely that there are any plans that they would change the Jets logo to that used in the Heritage Classic. I still hope they eventually change the uniforms to those of the Heritage Classic even if they kept the current logo. Aside from the renovations that have taken place throughout the building, I do miss the NHL team banners hanging from the ceiling over the second floor area where the Timothy Eaton statue is located. Other than that, things are looking up at BellMTS Place!

:jets

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I kind of miss all the NHL team flags that were hanging down in the main entrance.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Next years renovation needs to be exterior. Both my arena and IGF need to have some exterior lighting all the time. It brings little to no ambiance to downtown.

Lighting is our friend we need to accept this. They can also put some lights on our bridges. salter/arlington could be lit up like the empire state building. Our downtown buildings need to have some color at night. I believe the MTS building and 1 other building downtown are the only ones.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Next years renovation needs to be exterior. Both my arena and IGF need to have some exterior lighting all the time. It brings little to no ambiance to downtown.

Lighting is our friend we need to accept this. They can also put some lights on our bridges. salter/arlington could be lit up like the empire state building. Our downtown buildings need to have some color at night. I believe the MTS building and 1 other building downtown are the only ones.

I can agree with adding lighting for safety reasons. Just making things look pretty is a waste of energy. Speaking of safety, every square inch of the city should be covered by surveillance cameras, under the watchful eye of a supercomputer. :nod:

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
I wonder if the moxies on the main level ever left, what they would do with that space? It would add ton of room on the main concourse. Maybe True north will talk to them about moving when TN square is up lol. Although doubtful a guy can dream.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wonder if the moxies on the main level ever left, what they would do with that space? It would add ton of room on the main concourse. Maybe True north will talk to them about moving when TN square is up lol. Although doubtful a guy can dream.

Isn't Moxie's a franchise? Doesn't TN own it?

Perhaps when TN square is built it can move in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad